Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Media Center + Smart remote control system

Last response: in Systems
May 30, 2012 11:10:02 PM

Hi,
I have reached this forum after doing a research and not finding exactly what I want.

I have bought the Logitech revue (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue) not so long ago and i really like this system.
But there are 2 big limitations to this system:
1. It is super slow.
2. popular websites like Hulu recognize that this is google TV and will disable their free services.
3. it has bugs, the the embedded chrome + Adobe Flash often crashes.

having said that i have also bought about a year ago a $1000 PC parts and built myself a PC.

What i would like to do is, use my PC as a Media center that connects to my TV and cables and will be able to do the following:
1. Display videos listen to music from local HD.
2. Browse the internet using Chrome/FF with Adobe Flash capabilities
3. Control my Comcast cable box (maybe using something like an IR transmitter)?
4. Control my TV (Volume/ Switch between inputs).
5. Have a full keyboard as a remote control, i absolutely love the Logitech revue keyboard and i wonder i i can somehow use it (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/accessories/devic...)
6. Running PC applications on using my TV as a screen (would be great if i can build this on a Linux/windows based operating system)
7. Integrate some sort of TV Guide into this setup so that i can display all TV schedule and when i will click on it it will switch to the channel

Yes, i know, i want a lot, but i can't be the first one thinking of this. There must be a solution.

I wonder if anyone has built or have recommendation of how to build such a system.

Please help !!!!!
Thanks
Aviram
May 30, 2012 11:54:22 PM

well i am looking into doing something similar bt i have much less of a budget what ive come across asan operating system is mythbuntu its based on ubuntu but meant to be like the media centre pc type os ... I have not tested it out yet and won't be for about 2 or 3 weeks im only ordering the parts for the pc next week but if you do try it out you should post about it as i haven't came across many reviews
m
l
May 30, 2012 11:59:01 PM

are you planning also to control TV/Cable box from one remote? if so how?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 31, 2012 1:32:11 PM

Most (if not all) of the Logitech Harmony Remotes can be programmed to control all your devices, including a Windows 7 Media Center PC and Comcast Cable boxes.

Probably the best solution for your setup would be to look into CableCard Ready TV Tuners:

Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E
Ceton InfiniTV4 USB
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 3CC
Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650

Any of these devices, when paired with a cablecard from Comcast, adds most of the functionality of the set top box to your PC (you lose OnDemand and PPVs).

Quote:
1. Display videos listen to music from local HD.

Windows 7 Media Center can do this.
Quote:
2. Browse the internet using Chrome/FF with Adobe Flash capabilities

Any PC can do this.
Quote:
3. Control my Comcast cable box (maybe using something like an IR transmitter)?

A TV Tuner is required for this, but a cablecard ready TV Tuner replaces the set top box.
Quote:
4. Control my TV (Volume/ Switch between inputs).

The Logitech Harmony Remote can do this.
Quote:
5. Have a full keyboard as a remote control, i absolutely love the Logitech revue keyboard and i wonder i i can somehow use it (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/accessories/devic...)

There are Windows Media Center keyboards available if this device doesn't work for a PC.
Quote:
6. Running PC applications on using my TV as a screen (would be great if i can build this on a Linux/windows based operating system)

Any PC can do this.
Quote:
7. Integrate some sort of TV Guide into this setup so that i can display all TV schedule and when i will click on it it will switch to the channel

Windows 7 Media Center (with a TV Tuner installed/Connected) has guide capabilities.

-Wolf sends
June 7, 2012 12:02:53 AM

Wolfshadw thanks for your answer.
i see all of those cards/boxes are a bit expensive, anything cheaper that will do the same?
m
l
June 7, 2012 12:03:08 AM

Best answer selected by aviram.
m
l
June 7, 2012 12:52:14 PM

aviram said:
Wolfshadw thanks for your answer.
i see all of those cards/boxes are a bit expensive, anything cheaper that will do the same?

Unfortunately, no. The lower cost TV Tuner Cards do not have the decryption capabilities required for Comcast's HD channels (and any other channel they encrypt). Their set top box would still be required. The output from the set top box that you'd connect to one of the lower cost TV Tuner cards is not HD. The set top box downgraded the signal as if it were connecting to an older (non-HD) TV.

-Wolf sends
m
l
!