Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Cpu or Psu failure?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 24, 2012 5:32:24 PM

Dang, I think my computer died. I'm not to sure if it's the psu or something else, my system would boot fine and then 10-15 seconds in, it turns off (by off I mean all fans, HDD's and GPU), but I still have the Leds on like the Debug code that shows me error code 55 but I think it's the psu as after it turns off by itself it keeps trying to turn it on, and it ends in a never ending boot loop cycle of turns on and offs. It might also be the board or something of that nature, does anyone have adivce?

Any help would be appriciated, I'm typing really fast so don't judge my spelling.

More about : cpu psu failure

a b à CPUs
September 24, 2012 5:44:47 PM

Could be RAM, try running on one stick at a time and in different slots to see if you can boot successfully.
m
0
l
a c 149 à CPUs
September 24, 2012 5:46:41 PM

Lunixed said:
Dang, I think my computer died. I'm not to sure if it's the psu or something else, my system would boot fine and then 10-15 seconds in, it turns off (by off I mean all fans, HDD's and GPU), but I still have the Leds on like the Debug code that shows me error code 55 but I think it's the psu as after it turns off by itself it keeps trying to turn it on, and it ends in a never ending boot loop cycle of turns on and offs. It might also be the board or something of that nature, does anyone have adivce?

Any help would be appriciated, I'm typing really fast so don't judge my spelling.


CPU's rarely fail or die. About the only way to really kill a CPU is to physically break it or fry it with to much heat and voltages. I would check the RAM and PSU.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 24, 2012 5:51:04 PM

rds1220 said:
CPU's rarely fail or die. About the only way to really kill a CPU is to physically break it or fry it with to much heat and voltages. I would check the RAM and PSU.

I hope, I'm checking on board graphics and see if that's the issue. I hope not, as k series don't have warranty.

http://www.squidoo.com/failed-cpu-burn-out

This article made me think it might be the cpu.
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 6:00:05 PM

dodger46 said:
Could be RAM, try running on one stick at a time and in different slots to see if you can boot successfully.

Could ram be the issue? I'm trying it tho.
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 6:22:14 PM

dodger46 said:
Could be RAM, try running on one stick at a time and in different slots to see if you can boot successfully.

Ok, I checked the ram thing and it worked for a little while, than it frozed and it keeps giving never ending cycles of off and ons. I'm guessing is the PSU? but if it's the psu, why did it worked when I took off one stick?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2012 8:48:06 PM

PSU probably on it's last legs, then, the very slight reduction in load enabled it to work briefly...Would it stay on long enough to download Speccy to check your voltages? Esp +12v, +5V and +3,3V.
http://download.cnet.com/Speccy/3000-2094_4-75181811.ht...
Meanwhile reduce the load on the PSU as much as you can by disconnecting extra HDDS, external USB devices etc., might run a bit longer to check it out...
Also post your full specs, it will always assist others in diagnosing faults...
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 10:23:23 PM

dodger46 said:
PSU probably on it's last legs, then, the very slight reduction in load enabled it to work briefly...Would it stay on long enough to download Speccy to check your voltages? Esp +12v, +5V and +3,3V.
http://download.cnet.com/Speccy/3000-2094_4-75181811.ht...
Meanwhile reduce the load on the PSU as much as you can by disconnecting extra HDDS, external USB devices etc., might run a bit longer to check it out...
Also post your full specs, it will always assist others in diagnosing faults...

Well it turned out to be the ram, however I do I appreciate the software tool you have given me. It's crazy how bad ram can make your system endlessly reboot.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 25, 2012 5:38:00 AM

Good to know 1st guess was correct! Least expensive repair, too.
Share
September 25, 2012 9:44:40 PM

Best answer selected by Lunixed.
m
0
l
September 25, 2012 9:44:49 PM

dodger46 said:
Good to know 1st guess was correct! Least expensive repair, too.

Here you go, best answer since your answer did help me. Smile face for you!
m
0
l
!