Sign in with
Your question

$850 Gaming Desktop

Last response: in Systems
May 30, 2012 11:28:22 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 8-12th of June (Namely interested in what I need to look for)

Budget Range:850$ Without Rebate

System Usage from Most to Least Important: World of Tanks, Starcraft 2, Programing, Netflix

Parts Not Required:keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS (I have Win 7 Professional 64 bit)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Tiger Direct, Amazon (I have free shipping)

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Not Required

Monitor Resolution:1280x1024 (not HD, that messes with my vision oddly enough)

Additional Comments: I'm replacing a 5 year outdated labtop, Considering I normally run at 2fps on games. along with maxing my CPU just trying to compile in Visual Studio. Anything is an improvement, I don't know to much about currently avaible parts.

From what I understand, I'll be looking into a core I5 or I3 processer, most likely Ivy Bridge. I also ran a ATI graphics card and ran into numerous Driver errors, as such I figure Nvidia is a better option. HDMI ports are not required for moniter, though I do seek to do Dual display screens later on.

Finally, I need 2 HDD's. One will serve as a Recovery drive I'll keep a restore image on, The other will be the normal run drive. 4 USB ports are Perfered if possible. Tempeture May be a problem during the Summer. Other then all that, I'm rather open on options.

More about : 850 gaming desktop

May 31, 2012 12:02:20 AM

Quote:
Finally, I need 2 HDD's. One will serve as a Recovery drive I'll keep a restore image on, The other will be the normal run drive. 4 USB ports are Perfered if possible. Tempeture May be a problem during the Summer. Other then all that, I'm rather open on options.

Get one HD for now - get the second after you get your build setup. HDs are still somewhat expensive due to the recent floods, they're coming down in price but for now do that. I've never run a restore image on any PC I've ever owned including laptops and this counts my current PC - that's really unnecessary. What I do is have a small SSD for OS and then run my games and data off a 1 - 2TB hard drive, that is far better in the long run because if you need to flash Windows you can do so almost instantaneously.

Quote:
From what I understand, I'll be looking into a core I5 or I3 processer, most likely Ivy Bridge. I also ran a ATI graphics card and ran into numerous Driver errors, as such I figure Nvidia is a better option. HDMI ports are not required for moniter, though I do seek to do Dual display screens later on.

There's no Ivy Bridge Core i3s yet and none on the horizon as far as I know. You're more likely going with an i5. I have an ATI 7870 and have had no issues with it but NVIDIA is a good choice as long as you get something like a 670 or 680 but those are quite a bit expensive.

Here you go:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W - $84.99
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-V LE - $119.99
CPU: 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-3450S - $199.99
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600MHz 1.5V - $46.99
HD: 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 - $79.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce 560TI - $249.99

Total: $846.92
m
l
May 31, 2012 12:08:04 AM

Wrong. There will be i3 IB CPUs out later this year.
m
l
Related resources
May 31, 2012 12:12:39 AM

azeem40 said:
Wrong. There will be i3 IB CPUs out later this year.

technically it is not wrong because it is not out yet

you can max out pretty much any game with a 6870 with that kind of resolution, you probably can go even lower like to a 6850 or a 460
m
l
May 31, 2012 12:20:36 AM

He said "and none on the horizon", which is wrong.
m
l
May 31, 2012 12:47:38 AM

Honestly Sliprunner, I played World of Tanks at Max settings @ 1680x1050 on my 5850 which is a 3 year old card so you'll have no issues spending less.

Check out my $650 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
At your resolution and the said apps, this build will be more than enough.
m
l
May 31, 2012 12:47:44 AM

azeem40 said:
He said "and none on the horizon", which is wrong.

Well I haven't heard anything mentioned about them - so that's why I said that.
m
l
May 31, 2012 12:56:09 AM

I know why you said that. :p 
m
l
May 31, 2012 1:22:40 AM

I'll be honest in that I don't know what I can do with my budget. my rig from 5 years ago was already using aging equipment, so I'm at the point where I'm needing to utterly replace it. as for my moniter's resolution, I rather enjoy it, Been enjoying it sense 2004...I don't care for resolution so much as a large screen...

G-unit, I am willing to take an ATI card if it would mean something stronger. as for the HD, I have a tendency to mess up my machine rather often via modifications of windows. hence why I was hoping to drop in just a small secondary as a Recovery drive.
m
l
!