Sign in with
Your question

Updating System - Compatibility - HELP

Last response: in Systems
May 30, 2012 11:34:49 PM

Ok Hello everyone,

Already gotten some great advice around Tom´s Hardware, but recently my budget changed so I had to make some changes to what I already thought I was going to do.

I´m buying/ordering most parts for this build around 9-16 June, so I need help with compatibility advices.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

I have a HP M 8150 desktop, and it´s gpu stopped working, so I´m going to update the system and fix the problem.
(I was going for a complete rebuild but my budget changed so I had to make some changes)

Parts I´m buying:

- GPU - EVGA GTX 560 ti

- Motherboard - Asus P5G41T-M LX3 Motherboard

- Case - Haf 922 or Antec 900

- CPU cooler - Corsair H60

- PSU - Corsair CMPSU-500CXV2UK Builder Series CX500V2

- Ram - haven´t though about it yet so not a big deal at this stage. but overall 8Gb

- OS - Windows 7 student or.... windows 8 student (if there is one.)

Notes:

I´m keeping the Q6600 that my desktop has to save money, and with the water cooling, overclock it to around 3,0Ghz, so that it doesn´t bottleneck anything.
Please have in mind I don´t know ...anything about overclocking.. so I´ll just make it as i go along.

I intend to keep most of my other computer parts, optical drives, Hard drives etc.. all parts except the ones I´m buying.

Questions:

-Are the parts I picked compatible with the existing ones in my "prebuild" desktop?

- Does anyone here have the student edition of the windows 7? is it equal to the normal 7? any drawbacks?

- Will the corsair H60, keep my processor cool, if overclocked to 3.0 Ghz?

- What other case sugestions do you advice, or are the ones I choose good? my 2 most important aspects are size (enough to fit the Water Cooling) and price (this being the most important)

- Is the motherboard i choose good for overclocking/ is it good overall?

-I did some PSU calculations and I believe 500W is ok, whats your opinion?

Sorry for the long thread everyone, but this is the first time I build my computer so a lot of doubts, questions are going on my head.

Thanks everyone for the replys in advance.
May 30, 2012 11:47:05 PM

If you're going to go through this build - it's pretty stupid to salvage anything from it. The Q6600 was a good CPU in its' heyday but you should just drop your plans and start completely from scratch. The problem with prebuilt systems is that they're prebuilt - they use a lot of junk hardware, outdated components and non standard form factors. Even if you manage to successfully get it working, that CPU will still be a bottleneck when paired with any modern GPU due to slow RAM speeds and things of that nature. You're honestly better off building a completely new system than trying to salvage anything.
m
l
May 30, 2012 11:55:16 PM

I agree with g-unit, it isn't intelligent to use the same ram/cpu. You will limit yourself tremendously.
m
l
Related resources
May 31, 2012 1:13:06 AM

I´m not going to use the same ram, I´ll buy new ram, now I have 2Gb DDR2 , I´m getting 8Gb DDR3, so the only thing I´ll be using is the same CPU, I´m a bit of noob so I guess that this will fix ram speeds...?

I agree also with you (g-unit and eggbrook) when you say that it´s a old cpu, but a need a new system, and my budget is a bit low. So I´m keeping the cpu, overclock it, and since the water cooler has a 1155 socket, save some euros and in about a year swap both the motherboard and the CPu for a ivy bridge I7...
m
l
May 31, 2012 12:08:40 PM

So for now, I´ll save a few hundred euros and keep the Cpu, because a 1155 Motherboard will cost around (100-150€) and a i5-i7 cpu (150 - 250€), and latter upgrade, and then it will have all new components.

Regarding HDD and optical drives, if it is a slowing factor, since they are not as costly I could upgrade them right now and get new ones..

So regarding my initial questions can someone please help me out? I realy need to get this system sorted out to start buying/ordering parts.

Thanks!
m
l
May 31, 2012 8:19:59 PM

Artic said:
So for now, I´ll save a few hundred euros and keep the Cpu, because a 1155 Motherboard will cost around (100-150€) and a i5-i7 cpu (150 - 250€), and latter upgrade, and then it will have all new components.

Regarding HDD and optical drives, if it is a slowing factor, since they are not as costly I could upgrade them right now and get new ones..

So regarding my initial questions can someone please help me out? I realy need to get this system sorted out to start buying/ordering parts.

Thanks!

The HDD and optical drives are something that you can definitely reuse as long as they fit your new case's drive bays.

Quote:
I agree also with you (g-unit and eggbrook) when you say that it´s a old cpu, but a need a new system, and my budget is a bit low. So I´m keeping the cpu, overclock it, and since the water cooler has a 1155 socket, save some euros and in about a year swap both the motherboard and the CPu for a ivy bridge I7...

I'm still not entirely sure that's a good idea - the thing with water cooling is that it's way too much risk for not a lot of payoff and the wrong cooler - if it leaks can really damage your system and most manufacturer's warranties don't cover water damage. Either you build from scratch or you reuse your existing system with a couple of minor upgrades. I honestly don't think that this plan would be systematically feasible unless you want to have some major bottlenecks in the CPU and other areas.
m
l
May 31, 2012 10:10:25 PM

There is a low chance it will leak. Like 20% chance or something, but I agree; WC is only for extreme enthusiasts who like to test its limits.
m
l
June 1, 2012 11:30:08 PM

Sorry for the late reply, well in that case I´ll change to a air cooler, and avoid problems.

Regarding the Q6600 creating a bottleneck, I am now a bit confused, seen some videos on youtube thought that it would run great, just searched on youtube for "Q6600 GTX560ti" and found some crysis 2/battlefield3 gameplay videos that look amazing....
m
l
!