Desktop Pics

January 19, 2005 7:07:01 PM

A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I like it but would
like to edit it. The problem is I can't figure out where the actual pic is on
my hard drive. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

More about : desktop pics

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:31:09 PM

Hi,

The image could be anywhere on the drive. And I am assuming you don't
know the name of the file. First start by checking in the My Documents
and My Pictures folders.

If no joy, go to Start - Search - All Files and folders and do a
search on these file extensions one at a time. Set the view in Search
to Thumbnails so you can view the files.

*.jpg
*.bmp
*.gif
*.tif

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

ArtHoff001 wrote:
> A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I
> like it but would like to edit it. The problem is I can't
> figure out where the actual pic is on my hard drive. Can
> anyone help me out with this? Thanks!
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:31:10 PM

Thanks Bert. But I tried that. I found the name of the file (100_0198) and I
ran a search on it but to no avail. It's driving me crazy!!! LOL

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The image could be anywhere on the drive. And I am assuming you don't
> know the name of the file. First start by checking in the My Documents
> and My Pictures folders.
>
> If no joy, go to Start - Search - All Files and folders and do a
> search on these file extensions one at a time. Set the view in Search
> to Thumbnails so you can view the files.
>
> *.jpg
> *.bmp
> *.gif
> *.tif
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> ArtHoff001 wrote:
> > A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I
> > like it but would like to edit it. The problem is I can't
> > figure out where the actual pic is on my hard drive. Can
> > anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

January 19, 2005 10:31:10 PM

Oops, sorry Bert, meant that post for the aussie bomber. I will try that
suggestion, aussie but I think it's going to be a daunting task - I have LOTS
of pics on my hard drive.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The image could be anywhere on the drive. And I am assuming you don't
> know the name of the file. First start by checking in the My Documents
> and My Pictures folders.
>
> If no joy, go to Start - Search - All Files and folders and do a
> search on these file extensions one at a time. Set the view in Search
> to Thumbnails so you can view the files.
>
> *.jpg
> *.bmp
> *.gif
> *.tif
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> ArtHoff001 wrote:
> > A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I
> > like it but would like to edit it. The problem is I can't
> > figure out where the actual pic is on my hard drive. Can
> > anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

January 20, 2005 6:25:26 AM

You can't edit it.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"ArtHoff001" <ArtHoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I like it but would
> like to edit it. The problem is I can't figure out where the actual pic is
> on
> my hard drive. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:00:46 PM

> You can't edit it.

Huh? Once you find it, any graphic editor can modify it. What am I missing?

--
~john aka: jopa
Anonymous

Another way to determine the active wallpaper is from the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

In the right-pane, look at the "Wallpaper" value. It probably contains a BMP file name.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"ArtHoff001" <ArtHoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0C26DEF-8E5F-4057-89E4-CA7B325F14DE@microsoft.com...
A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I like it but would
like to edit it. The problem is I can't figure out where the actual pic is on
my hard drive. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:37:47 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:07:01 -0800, "ArtHoff001"
<ArtHoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I like it but would
>like to edit it. The problem is I can't figure out where the actual pic is on
>my hard drive. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

If you mean the backgropund/wallpaper picture, then do this:-

Right click on vacant area of desktop and select "Properties"

Click on "Desktop" tab

The name of the background pic should be highlighted. Make a note of
it.

Do a search of your computer hard drive for that name.

--
The Aussie Bomber
Carn The Dons!!

Thanks - I will try that but it may be a daunting task - I have LOTS of pics
on my pc..... LOL

!