Desktop Pics

A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I like it but would
like to edit it. The problem is I can't figure out where the actual pic is on
my hard drive. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about desktop pics

    Hi,

    The image could be anywhere on the drive. And I am assuming you don't
    know the name of the file. First start by checking in the My Documents
    and My Pictures folders.

    If no joy, go to Start - Search - All Files and folders and do a
    search on these file extensions one at a time. Set the view in Search
    to Thumbnails so you can view the files.

    *.jpg
    *.bmp
    *.gif
    *.tif

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    ArtHoff001 wrote:
    > A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I
    > like it but would like to edit it. The problem is I can't
    > figure out where the actual pic is on my hard drive. Can
    > anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

    Thanks Bert. But I tried that. I found the name of the file (100_0198) and I
    ran a search on it but to no avail. It's driving me crazy!!! LOL

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The image could be anywhere on the drive. And I am assuming you don't
    > know the name of the file. First start by checking in the My Documents
    > and My Pictures folders.
    >
    > If no joy, go to Start - Search - All Files and folders and do a
    > search on these file extensions one at a time. Set the view in Search
    > to Thumbnails so you can view the files.
    >
    > *.jpg
    > *.bmp
    > *.gif
    > *.tif
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > ArtHoff001 wrote:
    > > A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I
    > > like it but would like to edit it. The problem is I can't
    > > figure out where the actual pic is on my hard drive. Can
    > > anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

    Oops, sorry Bert, meant that post for the aussie bomber. I will try that
    suggestion, aussie but I think it's going to be a daunting task - I have LOTS
    of pics on my hard drive.

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The image could be anywhere on the drive. And I am assuming you don't
    > know the name of the file. First start by checking in the My Documents
    > and My Pictures folders.
    >
    > If no joy, go to Start - Search - All Files and folders and do a
    > search on these file extensions one at a time. Set the view in Search
    > to Thumbnails so you can view the files.
    >
    > *.jpg
    > *.bmp
    > *.gif
    > *.tif
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > ArtHoff001 wrote:
    > > A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I
    > > like it but would like to edit it. The problem is I can't
    > > figure out where the actual pic is on my hard drive. Can
    > > anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

    You can't edit it.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > You can't edit it.

    Huh? Once you find it, any graphic editor can modify it. What am I missing?

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    Another way to determine the active wallpaper is from the registry:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

    In the right-pane, look at the "Wallpaper" value. It probably contains a BMP file name.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "ArtHoff001" <ArtHoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0C26DEF-8E5F-4057-89E4-CA7B325F14DE@microsoft.com...
    A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I like it but would
    like to edit it. The problem is I can't figure out where the actual pic is on
    my hard drive. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:07:01 -0800, "ArtHoff001"
    <ArtHoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I like it but would
    >like to edit it. The problem is I can't figure out where the actual pic is on
    >my hard drive. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

    If you mean the backgropund/wallpaper picture, then do this:-

    Right click on vacant area of desktop and select "Properties"

    Click on "Desktop" tab

    The name of the background pic should be highlighted. Make a note of
    it.

    Do a search of your computer hard drive for that name.

    --
    The Aussie Bomber
    Carn The Dons!!

    Thanks - I will try that but it may be a daunting task - I have LOTS of pics
    on my pc..... LOL

    "Aussie Bomber" wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:07:01 -0800, "ArtHoff001"
    > <ArtHoff001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >A freind of mine added a nice pic o my desktop in XP . I like it but would
    > >like to edit it. The problem is I can't figure out where the actual pic is on
    > >my hard drive. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!
    >

    > If you mean the backgropund/wallpaper picture, then do this:-
    >
    > Right click on vacant area of desktop and select "Properties"
    >
    > Click on "Desktop" tab
    >
    > The name of the background pic should be highlighted. Make a note of
    > it.
    >
    > Do a search of your computer hard drive for that name.
    >
    > --
    > The Aussie Bomber
    > Carn The Dons!!

Windows XP