Extra RAM causes comp to freeze

G

I have an AMD Athlon Thunderbird running Windows ME. I also have a Geforce2 Ultra with the latest drivers. I have two different sticks of 128 mb PC133 SDRAM. Both are CAS2. I have 3 DIMM slots. When only one stick is in at a time, the computer runs fine. So I know that both sticks work. However when two sticks are in at a time, my computer has trouble. It checks through all the RAM fine and everything appears okay. I can even do simple tasks like internet etc. But when I try to do something 3d intensive like playing Quake III or 3DMark my comp freezes completely after about 10-15 seconds. Only a hardware reboot will get me back to windows.

Originally I had one DIMM in the first slot and that went without a hitch for several months. Then when I put the new RAM in the second slot, things got screwed up. So I moved it to the third slot and it still scewed up. So I removed my old stick from the first slot and put in my new stick in the first slot and everything works okay. In fact I'm using that new stick in the first slot right now. Please help.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmms. things to check.

1. the brand and quality of both sticks. differing brands ideally shouldnt be a problem, but issues like that have been known to exist.
2. ensure that both are stable at CAS 2.
3. it could be your ram slots. try running just 1 stick in slot 1, then reboot and move it to slot 2, slot 3 etc
repeat for the second stick.
this will ensure that none of yourS DRAM slots are misbehaving.
4. Make sure that each stick can handle a full processor load! i.e. play lots of games on each stick individually.

5. last thing you can try is to reverse the order... i.e. old stick in slot 3 or 2, new in slot 2 or 1.

If all of the above dont work then your sticks are not compatible for some reason. dont ask me why.

hope this helps. be methodical.

My Hamster has 512MB of SDRAM @ 150Mhz CAS 2!

G

do you have an asus a7v motherboard with kt133 chipset. Because i have the exact same problem. Both memory sticks pass all memory tests separetely but when installed together memory testing fails at 384mb with DocMemory. My memory is Micron with same part number.

My post is Asus a7v memory problem.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by chilicheez on 06/22/01 10:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Actually I have the MSI K7t Pro (MS-6330). But it does have the KT133 chipset.