Latency Spike.

Stupiditystrikes

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Okay. This is really making me mad. I have a D-Link adapter card for my computer, and a Linksys Router.

Sadly, my Latency (as seen from ingame) has been randomly spiking from 98 ms to 20000 ms (no joke) in less than 3 seconds. It then stays that way for at least 10 minutes. Then It comes back down for a minute.

No other computers in my house are on.

Help?

Solution
Log into your Linksys router, just like when you set it up originally, and go to the wireless settings. You will be able to choose the channel. Change it to a different channel, but 6 and 11 are good channels to begin with.
The default IP for linksys routers is 192.168.1.1 -- so open your web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1/ and press enter and it should bring you to your router's configuration screen -- find the settings page and change the channel as Phil instructed -- This may help if there are others in your area using wireless routers as well or it might just be that you need a better network card for the laptop if the antennae signal strength is low or you might want to switch to a wired connection for gaming anyway since wireless will always be a bit slower\ less reliable than a wired connection.

IF the username and password were not changed when it was setup --The default login information for Linksys routers depends on the model as shown below.

Default user names:

Linksys BEFW11S4, WRT54G: admin
Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Ethernet routers: Administrator
Linksys Comcast routers: comcast
All other Linksys routers: [none]

Default passwords:

Linksys BEFW11S4: [none]
Linksys Comcast routers: 1234
All other Linksys routers: admin

Where the word [none] is listed above, no name or password is required. Simply skip or press the Enter/Return key when prompted for those settings.

If it was changed you'll need to either find what it was changed to or reset the router to factory defaults !

TRENDING THREADS