Your question
Solved

Latency Spike.

Tags:
  • Latency
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
June 8, 2011 2:54:19 AM

Okay. This is really making me mad. I have a D-Link adapter card for my computer, and a Linksys Router.

Sadly, my Latency (as seen from ingame) has been randomly spiking from 98 ms to 20000 ms (no joke) in less than 3 seconds. It then stays that way for at least 10 minutes. Then It comes back down for a minute.

No other computers in my house are on.

Help?

More about : latency spike

June 8, 2011 3:35:16 AM

And nothing else is running on your PC? I have had virus scans kick in and kill my games before :( 

You are hard wired, or wireless? Radio interference could slow down a wireless connection, as could a neighbor leeching your bandwidth.
m
l
June 8, 2011 3:57:37 AM

I'm wireless.

New info, my computer is constantly losing connection to the router. Is it my network Card?

Constantly as in ever 5 seconds. It's disconnected 8 times to type up this message
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2011 4:15:45 AM

Could be interference, so first try changing the router channel.

If that does not help have a friend come over and see if their laptop has the same problem. If they do then it is your router; if they don't it is your laptop wireless.
m
l
June 8, 2011 4:16:46 AM

Brother's computer does not have same problems.

I moved my network card to another slot in my mobo

Same Problems.

How do you change the router channel?
m
l
June 8, 2011 4:20:45 AM

Log into the admin screen. The channel will be an option for the wireless setup. It might be set to auto, but choose 6 or 11.
m
l
June 8, 2011 4:53:33 AM

where is this?

can you be more specific?

thanks.
m
l

Best solution

June 8, 2011 6:01:41 PM

Log into your Linksys router, just like when you set it up originally, and go to the wireless settings. You will be able to choose the channel. Change it to a different channel, but 6 and 11 are good channels to begin with.
June 8, 2011 10:13:34 PM

Oh dear, the computer that controls the linksys router is long gone :C
m
l
June 8, 2011 11:20:21 PM

The default IP for linksys routers is 192.168.1.1 -- so open your web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1/ and press enter and it should bring you to your router's configuration screen -- find the settings page and change the channel as Phil instructed -- This may help if there are others in your area using wireless routers as well or it might just be that you need a better network card for the laptop if the antennae signal strength is low or you might want to switch to a wired connection for gaming anyway since wireless will always be a bit slower\ less reliable than a wired connection.
m
l
June 8, 2011 11:40:54 PM

Please Log in page.

What do I log in with?
m
l
June 9, 2011 3:43:11 AM

IF the username and password were not changed when it was setup --The default login information for Linksys routers depends on the model as shown below.

Default user names:

Linksys BEFW11S4, WRT54G: admin
Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Ethernet routers: Administrator
Linksys Comcast routers: comcast
All other Linksys routers: [none]

Default passwords:

Linksys BEFW11S4: [none]
Linksys Comcast routers: 1234
All other Linksys routers: admin

Where the word [none] is listed above, no name or password is required. Simply skip or press the Enter/Return key when prompted for those settings.

If it was changed you'll need to either find what it was changed to or reset the router to factory defaults !
m
l
June 9, 2011 5:13:29 AM

Alright thanks guys. Changed the Channel.

Unfortunately, I have no time to test things out, as it is quite late. I'll keep you posted tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far though
m
l
June 10, 2011 12:40:09 AM

Best answer selected by Stupiditystrikes.
m
l
!