Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Background highlights showing up behind desk top icons / t..

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Desktops
  • Icons
  • Windows XP
January 20, 2005 12:11:03 AM

When we changed the desktop wallpaper on one of our accounts the other day -
background highlights are showing up behind the desktop screen icons and
text. We have compared settings with our other account (that is still OK)
and we can not see any differences.
WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO REMOVE THESE BACKGROUND HIGHLIGHTS - we have contacted
HP twice with on line help to no avail.
Thank you! A. Brown

More about : background highlights showing desk top icons

January 20, 2005 6:19:27 AM

Without understanding your wording......

Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/ Visual
Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"

Also:

Right click the desktop and select Arrange Icons by. Towards the bottom of
that list, uncheck "Lock web items on the desktop."

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"A. Brown" <ABrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When we changed the desktop wallpaper on one of our accounts the other
> day -
> background highlights are showing up behind the desktop screen icons and
> text. We have compared settings with our other account (that is still OK)
> and we can not see any differences.
> WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO REMOVE THESE BACKGROUND HIGHLIGHTS - we have
> contacted
> HP twice with on line help to no avail.
> Thank you! A. Brown
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:08:02 AM

Hi,

Checkpoints to consider:

1) Right click on desktop >> arrange icons by >> uncheck "Lock Web items on
desktop"

2) Right click on My Computer >> Properties >> Advanced tab >> Settings
under 'Performance' >> check "Use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop".

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"A. Brown" <ABrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When we changed the desktop wallpaper on one of our accounts the other
> day -
> background highlights are showing up behind the desktop screen icons and
> text. We have compared settings with our other account (that is still OK)
> and we can not see any differences.
> WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO REMOVE THESE BACKGROUND HIGHLIGHTS - we have
> contacted
> HP twice with on line help to no avail.
> Thank you! A. Brown
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:37:01 PM

Thank you for your response - have tried both of those and they do not fix
the problem. I am refering to the background shadows behind the icons and
their names on the desk top screen. This happened abruptly when we changed
the desktop wallpaper to Plus! Space the other day. BTW - Love your website
- it is GREAT! AB

"Kelly" wrote:
Without understanding your wording......
Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/ Visual
Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"
Also: Right click the desktop and select Arrange Icons by. Towards the
bottom of
that list, uncheck "Lock web items on the desktop."
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)
Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:39:06 PM

Thank you for your response. I have tried those checkpoints numerous times
to no avail. AB

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
Checkpoints to consider:
1) Right click on desktop >> arrange icons by >> uncheck "Lock Web items on
desktop"
2) Right click on My Computer >> Properties >> Advanced tab >> Settings
under 'Performance' >> check "Use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop".
January 21, 2005 5:46:44 AM

Thanks for your kind words; however, I know exactly what you are speaking
of. More info needed at this point: Which third party programs have you
used in the meantime, third party (not native to XP)?

--

> Thank you for your response - have tried both of those and they do not fix
> the problem. I am refering to the background shadows behind the icons and
> their names on the desk top screen. This happened abruptly when we
> changed
> the desktop wallpaper to Plus! Space the other day. BTW - Love your
> website
> - it is GREAT! AB
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
> Without understanding your wording......
> Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/ Visual
> Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"
> Also: Right click the desktop and select Arrange Icons by. Towards the
> bottom of
> that list, uncheck "Lock web items on the desktop."
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:11:01 PM

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
| ... kind words; ...
| --
| All the Best,
| Kelly (MS-MVP)

Also here: http://langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-01-20.htm

<quote>
... about Kellys Korner. We've mentioned it several times before,
but it bears repeating: This site should be in everyone's Favorites
for information on XP. It contains an amazing amount of information,
all high-quality and well-presented. Check it out!
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
</quote>
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:11:02 PM

In news:o ATCubBAFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
a nonymous <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
>| ... kind words; ...
>| --
>| All the Best,
>| Kelly (MS-MVP)
>

> Also here: http://langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-01-20.htm
>
> <quote>
> ... about Kellys Korner. We've mentioned it several times
> before,
> but it bears repeating: This site should be in everyone's
> Favorites
> for information on XP. It contains an amazing amount of
> information,
> all high-quality and well-presented. Check it out!
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
> </quote>

Yay, Kelly!

Please reply to the newsgroup
January 22, 2005 1:11:02 PM

Thank you!!! <w>

--

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o ATCubBAFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
> | ... kind words; ...
> | --
> | All the Best,
> | Kelly (MS-MVP)
>

> Also here: http://langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-01-20.htm
>
> <quote>
> ... about Kellys Korner. We've mentioned it several times before,
> but it bears repeating: This site should be in everyone's Favorites
> for information on XP. It contains an amazing amount of information,
> all high-quality and well-presented. Check it out!
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
> </quote>

January 22, 2005 1:11:03 PM

<Big Smile> Ken! :o )