Background highlights showing up behind desk top icons / t..

When we changed the desktop wallpaper on one of our accounts the other day -
background highlights are showing up behind the desktop screen icons and
text. We have compared settings with our other account (that is still OK)
and we can not see any differences.
WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO REMOVE THESE BACKGROUND HIGHLIGHTS - we have contacted
HP twice with on line help to no avail.
Thank you! A. Brown
9 answers Last reply
More about background highlights showing desk icons

    Without understanding your wording......

    Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/ Visual
    Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"

    Also:

    Right click the desktop and select Arrange Icons by. Towards the bottom of
    that list, uncheck "Lock web items on the desktop."

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "A. Brown" <ABrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When we changed the desktop wallpaper on one of our accounts the other
    > day -
    > background highlights are showing up behind the desktop screen icons and
    > text. We have compared settings with our other account (that is still OK)
    > and we can not see any differences.
    > WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO REMOVE THESE BACKGROUND HIGHLIGHTS - we have
    > contacted
    > HP twice with on line help to no avail.
    > Thank you! A. Brown

    Hi,

    Checkpoints to consider:

    1) Right click on desktop >> arrange icons by >> uncheck "Lock Web items on
    desktop"

    2) Right click on My Computer >> Properties >> Advanced tab >> Settings
    under 'Performance' >> check "Use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop".

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "A. Brown" <ABrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When we changed the desktop wallpaper on one of our accounts the other
    > day -
    > background highlights are showing up behind the desktop screen icons and
    > text. We have compared settings with our other account (that is still OK)
    > and we can not see any differences.
    > WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO REMOVE THESE BACKGROUND HIGHLIGHTS - we have
    > contacted
    > HP twice with on line help to no avail.
    > Thank you! A. Brown

    Thank you for your response - have tried both of those and they do not fix
    the problem. I am refering to the background shadows behind the icons and
    their names on the desk top screen. This happened abruptly when we changed
    the desktop wallpaper to Plus! Space the other day. BTW - Love your website
    - it is GREAT! AB

    "Kelly" wrote:
    Without understanding your wording......
    Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/ Visual
    Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"
    Also: Right click the desktop and select Arrange Icons by. Towards the
    bottom of
    that list, uncheck "Lock web items on the desktop."
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)
    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Thank you for your response. I have tried those checkpoints numerous times
    to no avail. AB

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
    Checkpoints to consider:
    1) Right click on desktop >> arrange icons by >> uncheck "Lock Web items on
    desktop"
    2) Right click on My Computer >> Properties >> Advanced tab >> Settings
    under 'Performance' >> check "Use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop".

    Thanks for your kind words; however, I know exactly what you are speaking
    of. More info needed at this point: Which third party programs have you
    used in the meantime, third party (not native to XP)?

    --

    "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    | ... kind words; ...
    | --
    | All the Best,
    | Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Also here: http://langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-01-20.htm

    <quote>
    ... about Kellys Korner. We've mentioned it several times before,
    but it bears repeating: This site should be in everyone's Favorites
    for information on XP. It contains an amazing amount of information,
    all high-quality and well-presented. Check it out!
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
    </quote>

    In news:OATCubBAFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    a nonymous <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    >| ... kind words; ...
    >| --
    >| All the Best,
    >| Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >

    > Also here: http://langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-01-20.htm
    >
    > <quote>
    > ... about Kellys Korner. We've mentioned it several times
    > before,
    > but it bears repeating: This site should be in everyone's
    > Favorites
    > for information on XP. It contains an amazing amount of
    > information,
    > all high-quality and well-presented. Check it out!
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
    > </quote>

    Yay, Kelly!

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Thank you!!! <w>

    --

    "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    > | ... kind words; ...
    > | --
    > | All the Best,
    > | Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >

    > Also here: http://langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-01-20.htm
    >
    > <quote>
    > ... about Kellys Korner. We've mentioned it several times before,
    > but it bears repeating: This site should be in everyone's Favorites
    > for information on XP. It contains an amazing amount of information,
    > all high-quality and well-presented. Check it out!
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
    > </quote>

    <Big Smile> Ken! :o)

    --

    > In news:OATCubBAFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > a nonymous <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    >> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    >>| ... kind words; ...
    >>| --
    >>| All the Best,
    >>| Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>

    >> Also here: http://langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-01-20.htm
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> ... about Kellys Korner. We've mentioned it several times before,
    >> but it bears repeating: This site should be in everyone's Favorites
    >> for information on XP. It contains an amazing amount of information,
    >> all high-quality and well-presented. Check it out!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
    >> </quote>
    >

    > Yay, Kelly!

    > Please reply to the newsgroup