Sign in with
Your question

Case Question

Last response: in Components
September 25, 2012 1:46:55 AM

Hi everyone, I have a couple questions about my first PC build. I have generated the components for my build, except for the case itself (I didn't include the monitor, keyboard, or mouse). The specs are down below.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($112.17 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: Corsair 120mm Fans CO-9050008-WW ($23.99)

So,

1. What type of case should I be looking for? Will the components I have listed above fit in a mid tower? Or will I need to buy a full tower? My main concern about space is the 660 TI.

2. Could you guys give me any recommendations as to a case? I'm looking for something probably under a $100, since my budget is almost $1000 already.

3. I know many of the users on this website are pretty knowledgeable about PC Building. This is my first build, and so while you guys are at it, could you guys take a look at the specs and perhaps point out any incompatibility or anything wrong with the build?

Thank you!

More about : case question

September 25, 2012 3:02:12 AM

I guess you should ask yourself a couple of questions before buying a new case. Will you be adding more to it ? Will you want a custom waterblock later on? Do you plan on overclocking ? I think by looking at your stats, You have done some esearch into what you would like to have in a gaming rig. Your core i5 is great. But if you want to take advantage of the new pcie 3.0 technology. You might want to look at the 3rd gen core i5's 3570k if you want to overclock or the 3450 or 3470 if you dont plan on overclocking. There are numerous option. But if your here you problyplan on oc'ing it. There are some great z77 boards out there as well right now for the same price range your ASrock is. I honestly think you could do better with a z77 board giving you the further option down the road to sli another 660 in the future if need be. But as for the case. You want something that will keep all of this cool. I see the cooler master 690 II advanced case is now only 89.99 through newegg. I used this on my first ever build and it has sooo many fan options as well as a great modder case if your into that. I think just from factory you can have up to 11 fans total and depending on the motherboard you get (fan headers) there is room for more as well. This has enough space to fit any card really if you remove the bottom drive bays. But as of factory you can put an 11.5 inch card in it. Really a great buy. But if you wnt something that you can throw something into later on down the road and still want to keep that budget I would look ino the AZZAtek 9000 series for a full tower case. very versatile and tons of room for water cooling with a good price to go along with it. 139.99 I know this is slightly over your budget but is well worth the money. Very stylish and spacious. But dont take my word for it or anyone elses. Its your build and your opinion. As long as your parts fit into it and you like the design thats all that matters. You can keep most anything cool nowadays with a few added fans pointed in the right direction and most mid tower cases give you lots of options for fans and cooling. Here is a forum on good mdtower budgetcases
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/324908-28-quiet-budge...
Hope this helps

davidc96 said:
Hi everyone, I have a couple questions about my first PC build. I have generated the components for my build, except for the case itself (I didn't include the monitor, keyboard, or mouse). The specs are down below.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($112.17 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: Corsair 120mm Fans CO-9050008-WW ($23.99)

So,

1. What type of case should I be looking for? Will the components I have listed above fit in a mid tower? Or will I need to buy a full tower? My main concern about space is the 660 TI.

2. Could you guys give me any recommendations as to a case? I'm looking for something probably under a $100, since my budget is almost $1000 already.

3. I know many of the users on this website are pretty knowledgeable about PC Building. This is my first build, and so while you guys are at it, could you guys take a look at the specs and perhaps point out any incompatibility or anything wrong with the build?

Thank you!

m
l
!