Sign in with
Your question

[SOLVED] Warning 72 Centigrade help.

Last response: in CPUs
September 25, 2012 2:31:51 AM

[SOLVED]

Hello community, i'm in quite a predicament here and looking for any help possible.

So a few days ago, my computer was running normal as it should. The following night i turn my computer on and i noticed my fan didn't make its loud noise as it should; i thought it was nothing and brushed it off. An hour passes by and i get the "Warning, Cpu 72 Centigrade" but i have seen this message before because a few months back my fan was not spinning fast as it should but later went back to normal. Now evertime i use the computer i get the "Warning Cpu 72 Centigrade" and eventually my computer shuts down.

I was wondering if there was any way i could get my cpu fan to spin as fast as it did before because my computer keeps shutting down because of the "cpu 72 centigrade"

My cpu is "Intel Core i5 2500 Quad Core CPU 3.4GHz" and my motherboard is "Asus P867-V Deluxe Motherboard w/ Built in WiFi"

Any help is appreciated thank you. :) 
a c 142 à CPUs
September 25, 2012 2:38:43 AM

72 centigrade is well below Intel's thermal limits. However, that might be a reading from a different thermometer than the one used to trigger the thermal protection mechanism.

The best solution to cleaning a fan is to carefully dismount it, then clean and scrub it in hot soapy water. If the heatsink is caked with dust, do the same with it but make sure that you have good thermal paste on hand to replace the old stuff. Dry the fan off and lubricate the motor with some WD-40 (don't use too much) and then spin it by hand to work in the WD-40. Let it sit for a bit to drain out any excess lubricant and then put the whole thing back together again with the new thermal paste.
September 25, 2012 9:09:56 PM

hello and thank you for your response. I actually did take out the fan and cleaned all the dust and all that good stuff but with no prevail. My centigrade reaches to around 78 and thats when it will just shut off automatically. I'm contemplating on weather i should just replace my cpu fan/watercooling all together and just buy a brand new one. What do you think? Or if there is a way to make my cpu fan as fast as it used too, that would be great.
Related resources
a c 176 à CPUs
September 25, 2012 9:58:21 PM

sounds like the fan gone bad..just replace it.
September 25, 2012 10:08:19 PM

I finally solved it!!

So after all the frustration i ran my computer without the case cover and i noticed all fans were working except for my cpu fan! That's when i realized there was a loose wire tat wasn't connected to the cpu fan. I connected it properly and low and behold it started spinning again at 3500 rpm! :)  :)  :) 

Thank you everyone for you help!
a c 142 à CPUs
September 25, 2012 11:20:59 PM

SteezyNutz said:
I finally solved it!!

So after all the frustration i ran my computer without the case cover and i noticed all fans were working except for my cpu fan! That's when i realized there was a loose wire tat wasn't connected to the cpu fan. I connected it properly and low and behold it started spinning again at 3500 rpm! :)  :)  :) 

Thank you everyone for you help!

that'll happen. Glad you fixed it
!