marssawaeon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
g'day guys,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and thought it about time to get amongst it.

So basically uni break it coming up and I thought that id like a bit of a challenge to do over the month or so I've free. So that "challenge" became a desktop replacement home build.

So originally i was just going to buy a laptop but then had the brilliant/stupid idea to build a gaming desktop replacement.

The build is going to be a self contained water cooled mammoth :D

the original plan was to stay small and simple but where's the fun it that ;)

so I went big (well not to big) and this is going to be my rig;

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77 WS
CPU: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 670 with water blocks in Tri SLI
HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB
RAM: G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W

And to cool the system I'm going to employ;

Pump: Swiftech MCP35X Water Pump
Radiator: Thermochill pa120.3

I am yet to decide on a reservoir for the system as i don't know what will fit so i'll get that when all the parts are in the box :)

The tower of sorts will act as the base and encasement for the keyboard and monitor.

I'm going to jerry rig some power cables to be able to run the monitor and PSU from a single cable. Also working on a transformer system to power it from a 12v battery.

well I'm going to have fun and be busy and any input of alternative components or pieces to add would be most welcome.

I'll add photos and the cad drawing when I figure out how to :p

Enjoy watching me slowly go insane. Oh and flaming gets boring after a while but quite humorous to read so keep it to a minimum :p

I have no idea about the custom watercooling and you'r crazy idea of running it off a battery, But I do wonder why your only using green drives? For your budget (which is evidently massive if your getting 3xGTX670) why not get a proper 7200RPM drive and an SSD? Green drives don't save that much power.

marssawaeon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

OK so the battery crazy. yes. then why am i doing it? YOLO.

This is a more of a see if I can do it more then building a rig to use.

And as for the water cooling. I'm using it as an interim state until i can get access to the laser cutters to cast a complete mould and create a closed system cooling vein, which will ultimately allow me to experiment with below ambient cooling.

the i7 3770k is there so that I can overclock it and see if I can break the 5Ghz line and hold it stable. also i deal with CAD and other 3D design programs so the multi threads are beneficial.

marssawaeon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

yer but its harder to get the 3770k over 5GHZ so wheres the fun in taking the easy route.