Need advice in selecting AM3 Processor..!!

tremborg

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hello,
I have a full setup with gigabyte-880gm-usb3 AM3 motherboard and a graphic card, my phenom ii 955 processor has malfunctioned.
Can you please suggest me a good processor(less than 120$) as the phenom ii series has been discontinued here in india…??
Also, I am really confused about Bulldozer FX-4100 processor as it does not perform well in benchmarks but some people say that windows 7 can’t take full advantage of this architecture and it will perform better in windows 8.

Solution
depends on the game, but with that board, you could use the "unlock" feature and end up with another phenom X4 out of it.

BF3 multiplayer will hate the X2 without a doubt, but as an x4 unlocked, your where you started.

That gigabyte board does have the "unlock" option, as for the ability to unlock the 560, Id say about 3 in 4 chips work without issues, maybe higher.

The other problem is that board does not support the fx bulldozer chips. Odd but the "fx-4130" is listed on the supported cpu, but its not sold.
Not sure if there will be any performance advantage with Win 8, and at least in my opinion it is not much of an upgrade from Win 7.

If you were in the US I would simply recommend the Phenom II X4 965 BE. Not sure if it is still being sold in India. The FX series is more of a "side grade" than an upgrade. However, if only the FX series is available, then that is what you buy.

Too bad your CPU failed on the verge of the release of PileDriver which should be an upgrade from the Phenom II / FX series.

tremborg

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I searched a lot in Nehru Place(one of the major IT hub of South Asia) in Delhi…..but couldn’t find phenom ii series processors except AMD 3.3 GHz Phenom II 560 Processor (I absolutely have no idea why is it still available)..…..
It is very cheap @ around INR 4200(~75$)....while fx-4100 is around INR6500(~120$) ….and may be next year or so I ll get the piledriver cpu…..
I am a casual gamer (most of the time I play fifa,assassin creed), should I go for it? Will phenom 560 cpu be able to run the games smoothly @1280x720 resolution with radeon 6770 at high settings (without AA, of course)?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
depends on the game, but with that board, you could use the "unlock" feature and end up with another phenom X4 out of it.

BF3 multiplayer will hate the X2 without a doubt, but as an x4 unlocked, your where you started.

That gigabyte board does have the "unlock" option, as for the ability to unlock the 560, Id say about 3 in 4 chips work without issues, maybe higher.

The other problem is that board does not support the fx bulldozer chips. Odd but the "fx-4130" is listed on the supported cpu, but its not sold.

Solution