Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Help_71

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
I wanted to build a gaming PC under $2500, I put together some parts, just wanted to know if they're all compatible and would work for games today and for the next year or so (played on ultra graphics on 1980x1600 resolution)? I started a question earlier but selected best response as I didn't realize that it would end the discussion so I'm trying to start it again - second time using forum.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817517008 - PSU I thought would be good. Is it enough to power everything?

I chose the H80 for the cooling. Just for the final check I've got:

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series- 8GB (2X4)

p67 - MOBO

GTX 680

Corsair h80 Liquid Cooling

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 - Hard Drive

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/220976013734?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla - Case (will it fit everything?)

and I just realised I needed a network card, are they necessary to access the internet? Can you suggest one for me? Thank you.

Solution
Long story short it's the next generation of intel processors, on a shrunken die size. They're supposed to perform a bit better (5-15%) but with significantly less power draw. Given what you've told us you want your pc for, though, you don't necessarily need to worry about those processors. Fact is an i7 2600k or an i5 2500k will more than adequately cover all your gaming needs going forward with respect to a processor.

Like they said earlier a GTX 680 is a much better option than a 590. The 590 is essentially 2 gtx 580s on a single card that have been downclocked. As a result, the power draw for the card is very high.

You could go for either a z68 or p67 motherboard and it would be fine either way frankly. If you want to future...

hotthree

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
680...590 uses way to much power and produces a ton of heat. And it does not beat the 680 in everything its more of a split.

Your PSU is terrible...stick with a 550-650watt corsair / antec / xfx / seasonic

get at least a z68 mobo.

Your description is not detailed at all and you need to read the sticky's on the main page and follow there guide when requesting help on a build.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

your wrong about z68 the p67 is just as good if not better for gaming if that is what u stick to u only want the z68 if you wanna use cpu onboard video or quicksync, and you wont need a network card they have been built into every motherboard for about the last 10 years. i would get a 680 over a 590 and dont know how much h80 costs ya but u can get quieter and as efficient cooling with a couple of the big air setups

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

have you every used it, good on you if you have it can be very good if you have the appropriate software and the need for it (video rip and encode,etc) if you have, i would say you would be have to be in the 5% of people that know what it is and the 2% who actually use it!

G

Actually you get ivy bridge compatibility with the z68.this stage of the game the z68 is the only way to go if you want to upgrade to the next gen ivy bride without having to do a complete overhaul on your pc

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Long story short it's the next generation of intel processors, on a shrunken die size. They're supposed to perform a bit better (5-15%) but with significantly less power draw. Given what you've told us you want your pc for, though, you don't necessarily need to worry about those processors. Fact is an i7 2600k or an i5 2500k will more than adequately cover all your gaming needs going forward with respect to a processor.

Like they said earlier a GTX 680 is a much better option than a 590. The 590 is essentially 2 gtx 580s on a single card that have been downclocked. As a result, the power draw for the card is very high.

You could go for either a z68 or p67 motherboard and it would be fine either way frankly. If you want to future proof yourself (ie you plan to buy an ivy bridge processor when it comes out, which honestly I think is a waste of money), then go for a z68, if not you're fine with the p67. If you can get a good price on a z68 mobo though, go for it.

The case you chose should be fine for your setup. The only thing I'd say you should consider is maybe also purchasing an SSD drive to install windows on. It will make your system run significantly faster, and you only really need maybe a 60-80GB drive, 120GB if you want to have some games installed on it. Best of luck with building your new system. BTW you also need to decide on a processor, or maybe you forgot to mention one; either way the two i mentioned earlier (2500k or 2600k) are your best options, with 2500k being a more economical option with little impact on gaming performance.

Solution
G

I would not claim anything a waste of money until it comes out... Its always better to leave yourself an upgrade path no matter what.Z68 boards are not anymore expensive either.to get a p67 is a waste imo

Need Help_71

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks you answered all of my queries and more! I'll look into it - probs going with z68 and i5 processor

Status
Not open for further replies.