Changing how a folder opens

I installed the Command Prompt Power Toy. Now when I click on a folder
it automatically opens up the 'command prompt' rather than displaying
the contents.

I un-installed the 'command prompt' and now when I click a folder it
automatically brings up the 'search' feature, again instead of
displaying the contents.

I have gone to tools/folder options/file types/file folder/advance and
there are 3 items there: 'find', 'open command window here', 'print
directory listing'. Problem is I can not edit, delete etc any of these
choices because the choices are grayed out.

Any suggestion for how I can get my 'default' setting back of clicking
on the folder and displaying the contents? Thanks for your time.
7 answers Last reply
More about changing folder opens

    Thank you SO much Ramesh! This was driving me nuts. That fixed it for
    me.

    Hi,

    Issue:- Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    (Courtesy of David Candy)

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    <puggybw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1106230529.261262.89540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    I installed the Command Prompt Power Toy. Now when I click on a folder
    it automatically opens up the 'command prompt' rather than displaying
    the contents.

    I un-installed the 'command prompt' and now when I click a folder it
    automatically brings up the 'search' feature, again instead of
    displaying the contents.

    I have gone to tools/folder options/file types/file folder/advance and
    there are 3 items there: 'find', 'open command window here', 'print
    directory listing'. Problem is I can not edit, delete etc any of these
    choices because the choices are grayed out.

    Any suggestion for how I can get my 'default' setting back of clicking
    on the folder and displaying the contents? Thanks for your time.

    Great reply. For some reason, "Search" had moved to the top of the "right
    click" menu. This fixed it. Thanks a bunch.
    Ernie

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Issue:- Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    >
    > This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders. (example)
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >
    > (Courtesy of David Candy)
    >
    > To fix this manually via registry:
    >
    > If this problem is seen for Drives:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > If this problem is seen for folders:
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > <puggybw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1106230529.261262.89540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > I installed the Command Prompt Power Toy. Now when I click on a folder
    > it automatically opens up the 'command prompt' rather than displaying
    > the contents.
    >
    > I un-installed the 'command prompt' and now when I click a folder it
    > automatically brings up the 'search' feature, again instead of
    > displaying the contents.
    >
    > I have gone to tools/folder options/file types/file folder/advance and
    > there are 3 items there: 'find', 'open command window here', 'print
    > directory listing'. Problem is I can not edit, delete etc any of these
    > choices because the choices are grayed out.
    >
    > Any suggestion for how I can get my 'default' setting back of clicking
    > on the folder and displaying the contents? Thanks for your time.

    You're welcome :-)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    <puggybw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1106234196.707958.237920@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    Thank you SO much Ramesh! This was driving me nuts. That fixed it for
    me.

    You're welcome Ernie. All credit to David for the quick fix.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Issue:- Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    >
    > This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders. (example)
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >
    > (Courtesy of David Candy)
    >
    > To fix this manually via registry:
    >
    > If this problem is seen for Drives:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > If this problem is seen for folders:
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > <puggybw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1106230529.261262.89540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > I installed the Command Prompt Power Toy. Now when I click on a folder
    > it automatically opens up the 'command prompt' rather than displaying
    > the contents.
    >
    > I un-installed the 'command prompt' and now when I click a folder it
    > automatically brings up the 'search' feature, again instead of
    > displaying the contents.
    >
    > I have gone to tools/folder options/file types/file folder/advance and
    > there are 3 items there: 'find', 'open command window here', 'print
    > directory listing'. Problem is I can not edit, delete etc any of these
    > choices because the choices are grayed out.
    >
    > Any suggestion for how I can get my 'default' setting back of clicking
    > on the folder and displaying the contents? Thanks for your time.

    I just posted a thread not to long ago and decided to search for any info on
    this and I found this. Here's another THANKS to you Ramesh. VERY VERY much!

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > You're welcome :-)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > <puggybw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1106234196.707958.237920@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > Thank you SO much Ramesh! This was driving me nuts. That fixed it for
    > me.

    You're welcome :-)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > You're welcome :-)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > <puggybw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1106234196.707958.237920@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > Thank you SO much Ramesh! This was driving me nuts. That fixed it for
    > me.

Configuration Command Prompt Customization Microsoft Windows XP