New Core I3 Entry Level Build

deepb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Hi Guys,

I am setting up a new PC for my wife. Just wanted to run up on the specs and see if it should work :-

Approximate Purchase Date: (this weekend)
Budget Range: (400$ ) Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (very light gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

Parts Not Required: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (amazon)

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: ( 1366x768)

Additional Comments: This is the planned build. I'm a bit worried about using the Gigabyte PSU ( 420 W claimed) that comes included with the casing. Power supply calculations looks like it won't go above 220W . Any advice would be appreciated.

CPU - Core I3 2100
Mother Board - H61 Intel Motherboard
Ram - Kingston - 1x 4GB
HD - Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD
GPU - Low Profile 9800GT ( Already got this piece from my old PC)
Casing and PSU - Gigabyte - ( Something similar to this - http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/70304_Gigabyte_GZ_M1_Black__Mini_Tower_Case.aspx )

I can ship most parts from the US but the Casing and PSU becomes a problem because of the weight. And Casing and PSU is crazy expensive down here that's the reason why I am trying to skimp on it.

Solution

Yeah, it seems to be a bit pricey for you. It looks like it'll be that whatever way you cut it, unfortunately. It's worth the extra cash to get a decent PSU though. Cancelling the SSD now and getting one later would be a better way to do it, if you need the funds. A good PSU is essential.

It's...

abhop26

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

deepb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Actually, The Core I3 is costing me 118$ and H61 50$ so it's working out to be cheaper than the AMD combo and leaves me with a path open for future upgrades as well.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Take a look at the Pentium CPUs...G620 up to the G850. They're good for a basic system. Depending on the games you're playing, you could also just use the CPU's onboard graphics with the H61 motherboard. The Pentium CPUs are also S1155 so you still have the upgrade path.

I'd go with either 2x2GB or 2x4GB of RAM (if the latter, get a 64-bit OS). You need to have RAM operating in pairs to get the full performance out of it.

I'd not skimp on the PSU; it's integral to the whole build and a bad one can take the whole system out. Also, if you're in Qatar you'll want a case that has good airflow to ensure the heat inside it is kept down.

abhop26

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

I was looking at the Newegg prices, which dont look the same. My bad man

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
abhop26, deepb is looking at mini towers. Why show him a 125watt cpu and atx board?

As for the build, I see you have a single 4gb ram dimm listed. Your CPU has two memory channels, if you only use 1 ram stick you are not using the second channel and cutting your memory bandwidth in half.

Would shipping a case and psu separately lower or raise shipping prices?

george1992uk

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Hi, If you're looking to upgrade in the future, you might want to go for a h77 motherboard. It'll cost you more but will be a sound investment if you're taking a long run view for building the pc.

deepb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

I was already considering the RAM- I'll go with 2x 4GB of RAM as I will be running Win 7 - 64 bit on it.

Yeah, I realise the importance of the PSU, My own Gaming Build I am running a Coolermaster 850W which costs a little more than 200$ over here !!!. Any proper branded PSU even if 500W will set me back a minimum of 110$ over here. I am just wondering since the overall requirement is at around 22O W a generic 420 W would do the job .

Heat is not generally a problem over here as the rooms are always airconditioned.

deepb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

I did consider an H77, but is it worth the extra 50$ for pcie 3.0 and Sata III only? It doesn't support overclocking, the same as an H61 as I understand it anyway.

deepb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

I wouldn't mind getting that but just to give you an idea of how much that would end up costing me - 40$ on amazon + 5 pound item shipping charge = 54$ so total = 94$ . I might end up cancelling on the SSD and using an old 320GB HD for now if I do have to end up getting a PSU.

deepb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

How does a H77 Board offer benefit for going to Ivybridge over an H61. ( I can only think of the Sata 3 ports and pcie 3.0 difference between the two boards )

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Yeah, it seems to be a bit pricey for you. It looks like it'll be that whatever way you cut it, unfortunately. It's worth the extra cash to get a decent PSU though. Cancelling the SSD now and getting one later would be a better way to do it, if you need the funds. A good PSU is essential.

It's newer, and gives him those features. I'd either go H77 if he's planning on Ivybridge in the future, or go H61 and upgrade to a cheaper Sandy i5. The H77 is more futureproof, IMHO.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS