Replacement power supply for system with Radeon HD 4870 CrossFire

Sep 25, 2012
I had my PC custom built 3 years ago. It had an NSpire 750W power supply. That power supply died recently so I got an Antec True Power New 750W (Antec True Power New 750W). When I installed it the computer shut down after 5 minutes. Thinking it was a bad power supply I replaced it with an OCZ ModXstream Pro 600W (OCZ ModXstream Pro 600W). Now the computer shut down after an hour or two. I ran my motherboard's monitoring software and saw that the CPU was overheating. I decided to reset my motherboard bios (the builder had done some mild overclocking) and the CPU overheating problem is now fixed (CPU temperature between 34-41 C for 24 hrs).

So I currently have the OCZ 600W PS and everything runs great. But I am concerned because the builder used a 750W power supply originally. I have also used several online power supply calculators and the recommended wattage is right around 600W or a little above it. So I'm wondering if I should go back to the Antec True Power New 750W or leave things as they are?

Solution

The Seasonic built Antec is the better power supply and you would be putting a lighter load on it than the OCZ

Solution
Sep 25, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize the TruePower New was made by Seasonic. I ended up putting the TruePower back in and think it's a good move even if a little more expensive. My CPU temperature is now around 30 C whereas with the OCV power supply it was around 35 C. The system is also significantly quieter. I'm curious why the CPU would be running at a lower temperature with the TruePower PS. Maybe the fans are running better?