mrabduz

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
hello people.

I recently bought the Acer 5755g . specs are as follows

i5 processor . 2.5 ( turbo upto 3.1 )
8gb ram
500 HDD

my main question here is that i play Microsoft flight simulator which is a CPU demanding game. in the game i get a bit of low fps like 10-18 but suddenly they go upto 20-30. so i decided to run the game and the turbo boost monitor and saw that when i needed power, the turbo boost wouldnt go up and i didnt get any boost . so is there a way to manually boost my CPU speed, beaware that i am not talking about over-clocking here. the intel turbo boost according to me so far is no working as it should be. any advice would be appreciated. thanks. :)

Solution
Which version of Flight Simulator are you using?

Newer versions should be using more than 1 core.

If you manually shut off all but 1 core, it should turbo boost to a higher total speed, yes.

I can't guarantee that this will lead to increased performance, though, even if the game only uses 1 core. The computer has overhead with dozens of programs that are running in the background at any given time that allow the computer to operate correctly. Those take up resources and all those resources are going to be on the game's core if you disable all the other cores.

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
Turbo boost only kicks in when the core is stressed so I'm guessing that it isn't getting stressed enough to trigger the turbo boost. I suspect your FPS issues may be GPU related even if it is a CPU heavy game. What GPU do you have a separate GPU or just the on chip Intel iGPU?

Turbo boost works by shutting off cores.

If your cores 1 and 2 are maxed and cores 3 and 4 aren't being used at all then the computer will shut off 3 and 4 and then push up the power on 1 and 2.

All your cores are being used, even moderately, the chip won't shut them off.

- Edit - Temperatures matter too, if your processor is running hot it won't do anything to make itself run hotter, like OCing itself.

- Edit 2 - Is the processor an i5-2400S and is the graphics from it being used for the game?

fsxnoobies

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
that turbo boost is really really awesome.....TURBO BOOST is more like AUTO OC for ur CPU ..lol.. it help... i turn mine off and i run 4.5 all day everyday..second FSX game is not a GPU demanding.. u can have a shitty integrate graphic card but if ur cpu is awesome...lol... it will still give u like 20-30 ... second try to play the game in windows mode..help alot with FPS ...to me..i dont really care about playing in fullscreen or windows..but for soem they do cares.....i have 660ti graphioc cards...soon getting asus gtx 690

mrabduz

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

hello and thanks for your reply !

so the game is play is not a very GPU demanding, although i have the nvidia GT630m video card but it doesnt matter.
i still cant figure it out that how can my cpu not be on full power while i get low FPS, i mean its senseless. second of all , does turning all the cores except one will result in more turbo boost ? your reply will be appreciated

mrabduz

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

hello.

Is it possible to shut down my 2 3 and 4 core and use only 1 core which may result in increased turbo boost, as the game that i play doesnt use the 2 3 or 4 cores it only uses 1 core. any help would be appreciated thanks !

mrabduz

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

hello and thanks for ur reply , since ur a bit more experienced to intel stuff, can u tell me if there is a manual way to increase the boost , like turning of other cores or something, because it really annoying me , the reason i bought this machine was the graphic card and the upto 3.1 ghz turbo boost . your reply would be appreciated thanks !

Which version of Flight Simulator are you using?

Newer versions should be using more than 1 core.

If you manually shut off all but 1 core, it should turbo boost to a higher total speed, yes.

I can't guarantee that this will lead to increased performance, though, even if the game only uses 1 core. The computer has overhead with dozens of programs that are running in the background at any given time that allow the computer to operate correctly. Those take up resources and all those resources are going to be on the game's core if you disable all the other cores.

Solution

mrabduz

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

thanks for your answer , i am using flight simulator 2004. will try shutting all the cores except one , if there is a increase in performance then well and good , if not then i am back again on the same settings :)