Sign in with
Your question

New PSU Choice

Last response: in Components
September 25, 2012 2:37:56 PM

Hello all :)  , like the thread name suggests I'm looking at getting a new PSU to replace the current one within my computer.

My current specs are:

Case: Coolermaster 310 Elite
Motherboard: Asus PZ68-V LX
CPU: Intel i5 2550K with a Coolermaster Hyper 412S CPU Fan with 4 x Direct Contact heat-pipes for cooling
GPU: Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1GB
Memory: 4x2gb Kingston DDR3 1333mhz
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s Hitachi HDD
24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW Drive

The current PSU I have is a Winpower Plus 850w (I made the newbie mistake of skimping out on the PSU)
http://www.internetct.co.uk/winpowerplus850wpsupowersup...

I've recently read just how unreliable this PSU is and that it outputs closer to 400w than the stated 850w. I've also had experiences with it turning off when put under quite a bit of stress (It's powered down twice without warning while I've been playing Batman Arkham City in mid-high settings) I'm sure it's not anything else within the computer since I run other games games with similar requirements with ease and without random power downs.

Lately I've been looking at PSU's but have been unsure of whether they'd fit in my case and work with all my components. Any clarification on this would help greatly.

The 2 PSU's I've whittled my choices down to are:

The Corsair TX 650w V2
http://www.ebuyer.com/257232-corsair-tx-650w-v2-psu-80p...

and the Antec 620w High Current Gamer PSU
http://www.ebuyer.com/246651-antec-620w-high-current-ga...

Budget isn't really an issue as anything under £100 is affordable for me and I'm willing to take suggestions on other PSU brands I may have overlooked.

Since this post turned out longer than I expected :sarcastic:  the main things I'd like to know are:

1) Will either of these PSU's work with my Rig?

2) Which of the two would be better in the long run (I don't plan on using SLi at any point in the future.)

I'm still up for any recommendations and any help given is much appreciated.

More about : psu choice

a b ) Power supply
September 25, 2012 2:56:38 PM

All direct to consumer PSUs fit all direct to consumer cases, so you don't need to worry about PSU X not fitting in case Y. The mounts for these are universal and they haven't changed pretty much ever.

Either PSU should probably do more than well enough. The companies behind them are top notch.

However, I believe in teaching a man to fish rather than just giving him a fish, so what I would suggest you do is go on www.newegg.com and go in the Hardware section under Power Supplies. Hit Power Supplies, then go down the side and hit "more" under maximum power.

You can choose any range here, but I will just go with 600 - 700 since that is the range you have been looking at.

On the list that comes up, look for all the PSUs that have notes in them that they have won awards from either Hardware Secrets or JohnnyGuru.

That is essentially going to become your consider list. Everything else is not going to be on the consider list.

Once you have the consider list, you can examine various U.K. sites or just stick with ebuyer if that's your thing. That will give you an idea about which of those things on the consider list are available in the U.K. and how they are priced in the U.K.

From there, you can compare prices and benefits and try to narrow down to the one you want.

This is a very good way to separate the wheat from the chaff and ensure that you are getting both good quality and good price, but it does take some work.

The upside is that you won't ever end up with a poor quality PSU. Even respected names like Antec and Corsair put out some PSU model lines that are pretty subpar and those will never win awards from the websites that I mentioned, so they will automatically be ruled out of consideration.
September 26, 2012 12:45:35 AM

Thank you for the clear answer on PSU sizes I wasn't sure if there were any major differences between models / manufacturers but I can see now that there aren't any.

After following your advice and looking around a bit more / checking out some reviews / etc I've settled on the Corsair TX 650w V2 since it seems to be the most appropriate and it provides for what I'm looking for.

One thing that concerns me is whether it will be easy to manage the cables in the 310 Elite (My current PSU is very cable tidy within the case). If it can be a bit of a hassle to keep the cables out of the way then this isn't a huge problem as I'll find a way around it / to get it tidy.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.
Related resources
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 26, 2012 9:45:18 AM

You don't need as much as 650W if you're not going to be SLIing in the future.

Seasonic G-550 (£76 @ OCUK)
http://skinflint.co.uk/830688
This is a better choice than the Corsair TX650 V2 because it is more efficient, modular and will probably be quieter in idle.

If you go with a non-modular PSU then you can stuff unused cables in an unused 5.25" drive bay.
a b ) Power supply
September 26, 2012 2:11:45 PM

I shove my unused cables in a 5.25 bay as well. It is completely wasted space for most people.

However, I would suggest you think about upgrading the case in the future. The CM Elite 310 isn't really ideal as far as 2012 standards go. If this were 2002, nobody would really have any complaints about it, but there are plenty of cheap cases out there that do a whole lot better job at cooling using today's technology.

Take the CM Elite 430, for instance.

Bottom mounting the PSU increases its lifespan substantially and reduces stability problems in the PC because the PSU will have a lower internal temperature. It also has top fans that exhaust upwards and more mounts in general to get more air in and out.

You can get that for $30 or less in the U.S. if you wait for a price off deal, so I would think you would be able to get it for at least 30 pound or less with a deal in the U.K.

There are plenty of other cases a small step above that as well, like the CM HAF 912.

Over the long term, cooler parts and especially cooler PSU internals make a big impact on overall performance and component lifespans. Considering a case can easily stick with you for many builds in the future, it has plenty of time to pay that back through improved performance.
!