Sign in with
Your question

Asus mobo mystery reboots

Last response: in Systems
May 31, 2012 12:32:42 PM

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help.

I'm not with the PC right now so can't give exact details of the parts but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Got an Asus P50 PRO mobo, quad core intel cpu (775 socket), 4gb of ram OCZ (DDR2), ATI 4850 (512m), new OCZ agility SSD as old HDD started failing.. the problem i'm having is confusing me. When I turn the system on, it boots fine, I can get to BIOS, into windows etc but after a while (initially around 5 minutes) it will turn off and reboot.

You're going to say its temperature related - I thought it was at first because the time it stays on for increases the longer i leave it turned off. but when i get into the bios (in the first few cycles I have enough time) the cpu temp is around 28 degrees and mobo about 29.

I tried installing a new heatsink (freezer pro rev 2) while I was swapping the hard drives and generally cleaning the case but I got the above symptoms although cpu temp was around 22 degrees instead. Switched back to stock cooler as I saw somewhere some of the Asus mobos can't handle the weight of a heavier heatsink (apparently). On the bios I can't see a menu for the auto switch off but i know my temps are well below any default setting.

Anyone have any ideas? I've run the system with no hard drives, disk drive etc. Could it be a problem with the Ram or my PSU or graphics card? never had any problems before so i'm puzzled as to why this would happen. If I pressed the pins in the heatsink too hard could this be mobo damage? I don't really want to start buying new parts - if that happens i'll upgrade the whole pc, just wondering if its something stupid causing this.

Many thanks

The PSU is an OCZ600SXS - given because it sounds like this is failing?
May 31, 2012 12:53:56 PM

Just off of what you said it sounds like a psu problem. If the whole rig is shutting down and not just the display then I doubt it is a gpu problem. Your temperatures sound reasonable. Have you overclocked the processor? If so, there could be some stability issue with the overclock-improper voltages or what have you- however where you did not mention it, I am guessing you did not. I had to help my brother with a similar problem a while back and it ended up being his power supply so I would check that first if you start replacing components. Check the specs on your power supply because on some of them, the fan does not kick on until a certain temperature range so if there is no fan running on boot, then it kicks in and then the system shuts down, it could mean your power supply is overheating somehow.
May 31, 2012 1:05:56 PM

Thanks I will check that later, is there anyway of checking the PSU supply easily? Also it's not overclocked in any way as I wanted to get better cooling first :lol: 
Related resources
May 31, 2012 1:53:22 PM

The power supply is by far the highest failure rate of a PC so it could highly likely be the culprit. Could be something else heating up as your bios has flags to reboot if temperatures reach a certain point, but if can see your temps below 30 then it would seem to eliminate that. I do have an annoying OCZ SSD that will reboot once in a while but it follows up with a disk not found error making be do a cold boot so keep that in mind. Do you get any errors on the reboot or does it just suddenly reboot right back into windows? You said you had a hard drive failure could this be a related problem? Did the reboot occur right after the SSD install?
May 31, 2012 4:31:38 PM

Well the HDD began corrupting so I bought an SSD for futureproofing etc, wanted to run it with both in but run the OS from SSD. When I had the problems it was right after the SSD install but as I said I'd also changed the heatsink whilst I had the case open. My SSD is also OCZ 120gb. Ive run the system with no SATA devices at all and it still reboots. It does make me think that this is now a psu issue but considering I had no issues previously I am a little sceptical.

Are there any symptoms I would expect to see before the PSU starts doing this random rebooting or is this the first sign of failure? p.s. no errors on reboot its literally like I hit the reset button on my case and if it could get to windows before rebooting it would.

Thanks again for your help guys
May 31, 2012 4:34:43 PM

rishyboombastic said:
Well the HDD began corrupting so I bought an SSD for futureproofing etc, wanted to run it with both in but run the OS from SSD. When I had the problems it was right after the SSD install but as I said I'd also changed the heatsink whilst I had the case open. Ive run the system with no SATA devices at all and it still reboots. It does make me think that this is now a psu issue but considering I had no issues previously I am a little sceptical.

Are there any symptoms I would expect to see before the PSU starts doing this random rebooting or is this the first sign of failure?

Thanks again for your help guys

When you changed the heatsink did you put a compound like artic silver on the processor? I ask because if a CPU reaches a certain temperature the bios will reboot the PC. Just from what you're describing I'd start looking at your heatsink change.
May 31, 2012 4:58:47 PM

Yeah used the compound on the freezer pro 2 that came pre-applied apparently its fairly good so i stayed with it and it had no dust etc. I used arctic cooling IP alcohol and the prep fluid. With this i got cpu temp of 22 degrees stable in bios even through repeated reboots and the mobo was also cool. When I put the stock cooler back on this was thoroughly cleaned and i used artic silver 5 BB sized amount and temps around 28 degrees so I really don't think the cpu temp is causing this.

thanks
May 31, 2012 5:16:33 PM

rishyboombastic said:
Yeah used the compound on the freezer pro 2 that came pre-applied apparently its fairly good so i stayed with it and it had no dust etc. I used arctic cooling IP alcohol and the prep fluid. With this i got cpu temp of 22 degrees stable in bios even through repeated reboots and the mobo was also cool. When I put the stock cooler back on this was thoroughly cleaned and i used artic silver 5 BB sized amount and temps around 28 degrees so I really don't think the cpu temp is causing this.

thanks

do you have a multi-meter? you can monitor your voltage on the pwr supply, otherwise its a guessing game. is your bios settings on ahci correct in bios?
May 31, 2012 5:20:18 PM

what you started experiencing is one of the first thing i noticed the last time i had the problem, so it seems to be one of the first signs of failure, with the progression being that eventually it will not power up at all. it is a power supply so when it starts to fail you won't see artifacts on the screen or anything, it will just stop getting power which will cause the reboots.
June 1, 2012 8:40:03 AM

ok glad you had the same problem. I'm confident its the PSU although I'm not able to test it. I figure its highly likely though as its about 5 years old. The PSU is an OCZ600SXS which seems to be an oldish model. Looking at this to upgrade.

http://www.ebuyer.com/147047-coolermaster-silent-pro-70...

With my plans of future-proofing for the next few years that should be a good choice for the price right?

Thanks in advance!
June 1, 2012 8:45:40 AM

mmilner1 said:
do you have a multi-meter? you can monitor your voltage on the pwr supply, otherwise its a guessing game. is your bios settings on ahci correct in bios?

Hi there, the bios settings are all the default ones which have worked for over 5 years with no components changed. Also I gather the AHCI settings are to do with SATA devices? I have run the system with no SATA devices attached and still get the problem. I'm new to voltages etc in PCs as you can tell, so if I'm on the wrong tracks now its because I'm ignorant :??: 

Thanks for your help

June 1, 2012 12:41:22 PM

rishyboombastic said:
ok glad you had the same problem. I'm confident its the PSU although I'm not able to test it. I figure its highly likely though as its about 5 years old. The PSU is an OCZ600SXS which seems to be an oldish model. Looking at this to upgrade.

http://www.ebuyer.com/147047-coolermaster-silent-pro-70...

With my plans of future-proofing for the next few years that should be a good choice for the price right?

Thanks in advance!

it looks like a nice upgrade. 50A on the single 12v rail is definitely nice, and 700W is definitely sufficient for most single-card configurations, however if you are looking to eventually go SLI or CrossFire then getting one with more wattage might not be a bad idea. Don't get me wrong because 700W would probably run some lower to mide range mutli-card configurations, however if you are wanting to get future proofed for 3-5 years and have inklings of high-end, dual card configurations, you might want to spend more now and be ready later on.

ultimately, you know where you plan on going with your build more than anybody, so i would suggest prior to purchasing the upgrade, to get an idea of what future power needs you might have take a look at these psu calculators, they can help you get a ballpark estimate of what range you may need. you might even find that you need less power than what you think based on your configuration preferences.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
June 12, 2012 3:54:48 AM

SOLVED

I fitted a new PSU earlier and have run the system for several hours, seems stable and I think thats the problem solved :D 

So if anyone reads this in the future, check the PSU!

Thanks again guys
!