Sign in with
Your question

1920X1080 Problem. Please Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 31, 2012 5:43:22 PM

Ok I have been having this problem since over a year now and any help will be greatly appreciated. I have been using Intel HD 3000 Graphics built-in in my 2500k. I have a 23" LG full HD monitor. Heres a link for the monitor: http://www.lg.com/in/computer-products/lcd-monitor/LG-M...
So last year when i bought this monitor and computer and i put it on full resolution which is also written as recommended on the resolution page the whole display becomes smaller and unclear. And really bad. So it had been working perfect on 1680X1050 and the guy who sold the computer told me i will need a graphic card. So after a year i bought an Radeon HD 6870 which without any doubt can support 1920X1080 resolution and the same problem is happening and i can still only use it on 1680X1050 and there has been no visible improvements from the graphic card. I have been using an HDMI wire since a year. I googled a bit and some people having the problem of EDID seemed to be having a same issue but im really not sure if its the same thing and couldnt find a solution either. Can someone please help me out.

More about : 1920x1080 problem

a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2012 5:59:54 PM

Only things I can think of is you either got a dud monitor, or because it's actually a TV monitor, that it has problems. I believe I saw a thread where someone was saying how TV monitors suck as PC monitors.
m
l
March 31, 2012 6:10:57 PM

Well it is a TV monitor. What is a DUD monitor? So basically i cant do anything about it? :fou: 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2012 6:17:45 PM

jshashwat93 said:
Well it is a TV monitor. What is a DUD monitor? So basically i cant do anything about it? :fou: 

he meant dudd like a lemon or a faulty monitor. Try to adjust the screen size using AMD catalyst, I have to use it for my display to cover the whole screen. For a while I used a 32" Panasonic LCD TV as a monitor and I had to run the resolution lower than 1920x1080 to be able to read the text, so yeah sometimes TVs dont work very well for a monitor unless you are somewhat far away from it. I assume since you have the 6870 you downloaded the latest drivers from AMD.com and you do have your HDMI cable plugged into the 6870 and not the I/O panel correct? Update your drivers and adjust settings using the AMD software and see if that helps.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2012 6:19:00 PM

Dead monitor, however, now that I look at the specs, it is 4:3. 1920x1080 is actually 16:9, therefore, it will not look good. Just keep using that resolution. Actually if it's 4:3 you should be able to run 1600x1200 (Maybe).
m
l
March 31, 2012 6:27:57 PM

stickg1 said:
he meant dudd like a lemon or a faulty monitor. Try to adjust the screen size using AMD catalyst, I have to use it for my display to cover the whole screen. For a while I used a 32" Panasonic LCD TV as a monitor and I had to run the resolution lower than 1920x1080 to be able to read the text, so yeah sometimes TVs dont work very well for a monitor unless you are somewhat far away from it. I assume since you have the 6870 you downloaded the latest drivers from AMD.com and you do have your HDMI cable plugged into the 6870 and not the I/O panel correct? Update your drivers and adjust settings using the AMD software and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help. Yeah i can confirm i have the latest drivers. And nothing is wrong with the monitor because my xbox 360 on hdmi works perfectly on it on 1080p. Even videos and games run on high resolution. Its just the desktop and browsing and all in general which looks really blurred and crappy. Yes the hdmi wire is inserted in the gpu. And from AMD Catalyst i managed scaling it to the screen size. But still its totally unclear and blurry.. What can i do? In the Catalyst Control Centre In Desktop management under desktop properties and resolution under the basic section works fine upto 1680X1050 which i am using. But the moment i select HDTV which has 648p, 720p, 1000i, 1000p, 1080i and 1080p it becomes bad. Please Help
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2012 6:28:19 PM

it says 1920x1080....

if you are using the vga cable instead of a DVI or HDMI that will have an effect on the clarity.
m
l
March 31, 2012 6:32:00 PM

gary1 said:
Dead monitor, however, now that I look at the specs, it is 4:3. 1920x1080 is actually 16:9, therefore, it will not look good. Just keep using that resolution. Actually if it's 4:3 you should be able to run 1600x1200 (Maybe).

By Dead Monitor do u mean its screwed or its a crap one. But i can change the aspect ration to 16:9. And thats what i use it on anways.. Please help
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2012 6:32:04 PM

Ok. So it's time to post a screenshot of your monitor @1080P.
m
l
March 31, 2012 6:33:13 PM

swifty_morgan said:
it says 1920x1080....

if you are using the vga cable instead of a DVI or HDMI that will have an effect on the clarity.

I am using an HDMI cable. I didnt get u. Are u suggesting that i use a VGA cable?
m
l
March 31, 2012 6:38:07 PM

ilysaml said:
Ok. So it's time to post a screenshot of your monitor @1080P.

Thee screenshot looks fine once i change back the resolution. So basically 1080p and 1680X1050 will looks the same if i upload both. Should i click photos?
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2012 6:40:11 PM

Show us how the pic looks @ 1080P only. Take the screen shot and upload it on any imagehost website then paste the URL here.
m
l
March 31, 2012 6:49:36 PM

Ehh..Your using a tv..It's gonna be unclear as you get into higher resolutions.

For computers Monitors > Tv's unless your tv is specifically designed for computer use.

Sounds like your just having a hard time reading small txt.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2012 6:50:47 PM

Do you have the proper drivers installed? This can happen if your using the wrong ones, also if there are drivers for the monitor it can't hurt to try those...

Edit: just saw your pic, go into catalyst and make sure its not forcing any type of AA/AF/MSAA/etc
m
l
March 31, 2012 7:05:07 PM

hotthree said:
Ehh..Your using a tv..It's gonna be unclear as you get into higher resolutions.

For computers Monitors > Tv's unless your tv is specifically designed for computer use.

Sounds like your just having a hard time reading small txt.

No... The screen shot looks proper and i have no problems reading it. Thats not how it looks on my screen at 1080p.
m
l
March 31, 2012 7:07:26 PM

mouse24 said:
Do you have the proper drivers installed? This can happen if your using the wrong ones, also if there are drivers for the monitor it can't hurt to try those...

Edit: just saw your pic, go into catalyst and make sure its not forcing any type of AA/AF/MSAA/etc

Yes i have the prooper and latest updated drivers installed. I dont know how to make sure its not forcing AA/AF/MSAA. I dont even know what those things are. Can u please tell me how to?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2012 7:12:11 PM

Start > amd vision center > open it > gaming > 3d application > make sure everything with a check mark next to it saying "Use application settings" is ticked and make sure anything without a check mark next to it is at "performance" settings (except tessellation you can leave that alone.)
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2012 7:15:42 PM

For me, the shot looks normal...it has some blur but it's okay. Try to play with monitor settings like sharpness and exposure.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2012 7:18:38 PM

ilysaml said:
For me, the shot looks normal...it has some blur but it's okay. Try to play with monitor settings like sharpness and exposure.

Ah yeah that would make sense since if it was forcing AA/AF/MSAA it would show up in the screen shot right? but the individual settings of the monitor don't.
m
l
March 31, 2012 7:20:51 PM

mouse24 said:
Start > amd vision center > open it > gaming > 3d application > make sure everything with a check mark next to it saying "Use application settings" is ticked and make sure anything without a check mark next to it is at "performance" settings (except tessellation you can leave that alone.)

Did exactly what you said but didnt help. Thanks a tonne though. Heres what i think the problem is. The TV aspect ratio is 4:3 so i think i should use VGA on 1600X1200. Does that make sense? And is the RGB in port the VGA port or the DVI port. Because on my monitor i only have HDMI and RGB in. Is RGB in DVI or does that mean i do not have DVI?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2012 7:26:41 PM

jshashwat93 said:
Did exactly what you said but didnt help. Thanks a tonne though. Heres what i think the problem is. The TV aspect ratio is 4:3 so i think i should use VGA on 1600X1200. Does that make sense? And is the RGB in port the VGA port or the DVI port. Because on my monitor i only have HDMI and RGB in. Is RGB in DVI or does that mean i do not have DVI?

RBG is the red green blue cables you used to need for the PS1

Try messing around with sharpness etc, since if you are using VGA it requires a bit more tweaking then simple DVI/HDMI

Also try messing around with a setting in your monitor called "phase", I think thats the one that helps with sharpness :3

Been a while so bear with me.

Should be a button on your monitor that lets you mess around with stuff.
m
l
March 31, 2012 7:31:07 PM

mouse24 said:
RBG is the red green blue cables you used to need for the PS1

Try messing around with sharpness etc, since if you are using VGA it requires a bit more tweaking then simple DVI/HDMI

Also try messing around with a setting in your monitor called "phase", I think thats the one that helps with sharpness :3

Been a while so bear with me.

Should be a button on your monitor that lets you mess around with stuff.

Yaa i can make those changes but the general shitty look is still there. The text itself looks crap. Dunno what to do :( 
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2012 7:36:08 PM

the thing about the vga cable... no.... vga will look worse. ( our posts crossed )

open the CCC and go to displays manager/display properties. what information is there ?

and have you gone to windows update lately ? or have you gone into the device manager and looked for your monitor and when there did you click to do a driver update on that ?
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2012 7:40:10 PM

also in the CCC........ under DTV..... find HDTV support. see if your proper res is there and select it. then I think you have to hit apply.
m
l
March 31, 2012 8:46:01 PM

Use something other than an hdmi cable, I had the same problem. using an hdmi cable it would not display 1080p properly. I switched to a vga cable since my tv doesn't have dvi and 1080p displays properly now and looks totally fine. im using a 37inch 1080p tv with two gtx 460se cards, but I've also used the integrated intel gpu in the i3 2120 and got things working with a vga cable, and encountered the same problem using hdmi.
m
l
April 1, 2012 3:57:20 AM

vedeyn said:
Use something other than an hdmi cable, I had the same problem. using an hdmi cable it would not display 1080p properly. I switched to a vga cable since my tv doesn't have dvi and 1080p displays properly now and looks totally fine. im using a 37inch 1080p tv with two gtx 460se cards, but I've also used the integrated intel gpu in the i3 2120 and got things working with a vga cable, and encountered the same problem using hdmi.

How do u put 1080p from a VGA cable? When i put in the VGA cable the resolutions available are totally different and the max one for me is 1200X1600.
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 1, 2012 4:06:18 AM

are you more worried about a cable or are you actually trying anything ?
m
l
April 1, 2012 4:31:16 AM

I have an LG MA2362D which is almost identical to yours and had an issue going to 1920x1080. Try this: Go into Q.Menu on the display itself and find where it says aspect ratio and set that to "just scan". Hope that works.
m
l
April 1, 2012 4:50:57 AM

Hydroc10 said:
I have an LG MA2362D which is almost identical to yours and had an issue going to 1920x1080. Try this: Go into Q.Menu on the display itself and find where it says aspect ratio and set that to "just scan". Hope that works.

So does that work for you? Unfortunately i get only two options 4:3 and 16:9. There is no option for scan
m
l
April 1, 2012 4:52:21 AM

swifty_morgan said:
are you more worried about a cable or are you actually trying anything ?

I have tried every single suggestion yet. No luck
m
l
April 1, 2012 4:56:11 AM

That worked for me. seems you have a different menu. Try your video card settings that other posters mentioned
m
l
April 1, 2012 6:50:25 AM

- Try different HDMI cable
- Try different HDMI port
- Go to TV settings, turn everything to manual then adjust it yourself
- Connect your TV to another PC
- Still not working? Go get a sledge hammer. Good luck.
m
l
October 24, 2012 2:12:13 AM

Maybe I've missed it but what's your video card driver version?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 24, 2012 3:22:46 AM

Using a tv monitor will look blurry even at 1080p hdmi for pc. Ive ran one and didnt look good at all and it was 108p hdmi the whole works. My suggestion is get a pc monitor thats 1080p it will look MUCH better then the tv
m
l
!