Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 5670 strange issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 31, 2012 6:03:14 PM

I recently upgraded my PSU and GPU. I don't remember the exact wattage but something like 450 and a Radeon HD 5670. Now while I'm playing games, notably SWTOR and TF2, the game will freeze for a few seconds, then lots of small multicolored dots show for quarter of a second, then things go black. In SWTOR I hit a mini-loading screen and then I can play again, but it becomes an issue while I'm raiding, especially if it decides it wants to happen every 15 minutes. In TF2 when things come back I am still playing, but the entire screen is black. I can move, shoot, open menus, everything, but it is all black so I can't see a single thing. I've tried updating drivers and I'll try again but does anyone know if there's more of an issue going on?
PSU: 450W
GPU: ATI Radeon 5670 1GB DDR(3 or 4)
Processor: AMD Athlon II x4 @ 3.00 Ghz
RAM: 6GB DDR3
That's what I know off the top of my head, if you need more just ask. Thanks.

Also, the old GPU was a NVIDIA 420GT or something and it never did this.
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2012 6:09:00 PM

What kind of PSU is it?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2012 7:30:32 PM

I am assuming you have uninstalled ALL the old nVidia software and drivers?
Won't say that the PSU is at fault, but would not rule it out either. You should know better than to buy Rosewill PSU on purpose!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2012 7:51:43 PM

Sounds like it might be a TDR reset after the GPU failed/hung for some reason. What are your temps on the GPU? Also, I definitely wouldn't rule out the PSU. Can you post some voltage readings on the 12V rail?
m
l
March 31, 2012 10:38:03 PM

aicom said:
Sounds like it might be a TDR reset after the GPU failed/hung for some reason. What are your temps on the GPU? Also, I definitely wouldn't rule out the PSU. Can you post some voltage readings on the 12V rail?

I'll jump on Star Wars and do something to see where my GPU is at.

As far as the Voltage reading how exactly can I measure that?
m
l
!