Who do i trust

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
i have a gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard 16gb ddr3 ram fx 8150 processor good ventillation enermax ETS-tb cooler using mx2 thermal paste etc.... been stressing my computer to see what temps core temp 1.0 is telling me a certain reading idle at 20c yet AMD overdrive BOARD status is telling me cores 30-32c the highest temp with fx 8150 boost on full load manic game is 60c not brilliant but ok who is TELLING THE TRUTH........( it must be outhere) :hello: :pt1cable:

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

if thats the case then when core temp is telling me 60c im really getting 70-72c thats not good i'll see if the cooler's fitted on properly i know i have good ventallation could it be the Artic cooling MX-2 thermal paste???????????? don't know what else to do but turn my boost off till resolved any ideas?

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

But that's what i do not understand i certainally am not getting stability issues gpu's not getting too hot either does not make sense i have set computer to turn off at 80c it has not once got to that stage i think the only thing to do is make sure cooler is fitted properly the case i have is a big xcase one intake big side fan one bottom intake fan three exhaust fans just above cooler so venting is extremely good did not use a lot of thermal paste about size of small garden pea in middle of chip let cooler spread it i'm sure i'm fitting it correctly

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Read the CPU temp in Gigabyte easytune (ET6) this matches the BIOS temp then see which of your utilities matches this reading for CPU, that will be the good one.

They throttle as they get to 70 not 60 also

The processor can't get to 80c, because the processor itself won't let it get there. It scales itself back when it finds itself above 60c until it can run at a stable 60c.

Part of the problem is just that FX uses so much wattage that its hard to get rid of that waste heat. The more wattage the CPU uses the more heat is generated, there is no other option.

- Edit -

Not according to AMD. Per AMD, the max safe temperature is 60c and at 61c they start throttling.

I can pull up plenty of links that say 60c is the maximum safe operating temperature.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
They are rated to run at 63 they throttle after this. I had a 4100 it didn't throttle till it hit nearly 70. No idea why you mention 80 I never claimed they went that high

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

If that's the case then when core temp was telling me the highest temp i got while playing bf3 60c total manic game 64 players it never went higher then core temp would be correct not amd overdrive

wr6133 - I mentioned 80c because I was talking to someone else. The part I was talking to you was under where I quoted you.

madcap42 - wr6133 seems to think that the chip throttles at a different temperature than I think it does. If he is right, then the processor could have gone higher. It is also possible that we are both right in a way and that the FX chip throttles at 60c, but not enough to keep the temperatures at a stable 60c. That isn't my understanding how it is supposed to work, but it is possible.

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Its funny how differing softwares come up with different numbers isn't it. I used to trust my motherboard manufacturer, that was until I thought my temps were way too high to actually be right. If you have assembled everything correctly and have good airflow then its probably fine. Right now I trust core temp as its been the most accurate reading (several other apps I tried had the same temps).

Yeah but i'm sure core temp 1.0 gets confused with AMD as i'm pretty sure it was designed for intel could be wrong

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012

Seriously try what I said open up easytune 6 go to the HW monitor tab, within that the fan/temp tab. The reading there for CPU will match the reading in the BIOS, whichever of your utilities agrees with this as the CPU reading is likely the one with the correct core reading.

madcap42

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

yeah just downloaded easytune 6 it giving me same reading as amd overdrive 10-12c more than what core temp is telling me Damn it i gotta reinstall my cooler again AAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH................. thanks for your help guys