Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is my PSU limiting?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Overclocking
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 7:08:41 PM

I thought my PSU was going to be enough, but it just hit me that it might be the cause of my overclock problems.

I can't go over 1125 mhz on the core on my 7870, with 1125 and below its stable. Is this a PSU problem? It shouldn't be, but it has been boggling me the last few days why my 7870 has so little oveclock headroom. Thanks. I mean, my PSU should be plenty, dunno why it's unstable at those frequencies.

More about : psu limiting

March 31, 2012 7:18:25 PM

without any system specs or even a mention on what PSU,You will never get a response.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 7:22:03 PM

Well, my sig has my specs... but.. I have a AX650, 2500K @ 1.28vcore, 2x8gb G.SKILL, 6 fans.
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 7:28:26 PM

it looks doubtful your psu is the problem.

Radeon HD 7870 Overclock Guide
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7870-overclock-...
Measured power consumption overclocked at 1200 MHz (with 1.3 Volts)

System in IDLE = 161W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 299W
Difference (GPU load) = 138W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 148 Watts

whats the volts on that?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 7:29:44 PM

Yeah, I really don't know why its unstable over 1125, apparently people have hit 1200/1450 without any problems or voltage tweaks.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 7:31:13 PM

I could give it a shot on mine, since I've got the same model as you. Just curious is yours the OC edition or not?

EDIT: Should've read your sig more closely. I'll give it a shot on mine here soon.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 7:36:36 PM

gary1 said:
Yeah, I really don't know why its unstable over 1125, apparently people have hit 1200/1450 without any problems or voltage tweaks.

still you could have something flonky going on with the 12 volt rail . .

or the pci-e slot isn't giving up the 75 watts it is suppose to.

anyway you can test the card in another rig?
m
0
l
a c 164 K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 7:36:53 PM

No two cards overclock the same, it is just the nature of the beast! I would absolutely not consider it a PSU problem.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 7:39:47 PM

I have the OC version.

Brand new PSU so hopefully not!

Yeah, I don't even need it to OC so high, just curious. :p 
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 7:40:12 PM

rolli59 said:
No two cards overclock the same, it is just the nature of the beast! I would absolutely not consider it a PSU problem.


Indeed. We might see some better and/or more consistent OC results when TSMC's 28 nm process matures a bit more.
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 11:31:28 PM

gary1 said:
Well, my sig has my specs... but.. I have a AX650, 2500K @ 1.28vcore, 2x8gb G.SKILL, 6 fans.



That was a big "my bad"moment,Sry for that.

Agree that its probably just the limits of your specific cards.
m
0
l
a c 164 K Overclocking
April 1, 2012 12:07:13 AM

Earnie said:
That was a big "my bad"moment,Sry for that.

Agree that its probably just the limits of your specific cards.

Looking at OP's first post there is no sig only in his reply to you!
m
0
l
April 1, 2012 12:27:05 AM

rolli59 said:
Looking at OP's first post there is no sig only in his reply to you!



odd,His sig shows up in his 1st post on my end....
m
0
l
a c 164 K Overclocking
April 1, 2012 12:32:35 AM

Earnie said:
odd,His sig shows up in his 1st post on my end....

Not on mine all day! Only after the second post!
m
0
l
!