Can a processor temp go sub zero?

CDdude55

Distinguished
Well generally yes they can,but through other methods of cooling. Air cooling is limited to your ambient temps, if order to go below zero you need to use other extreme methods of cooling that are independent of the air in the room such as DICE and LN2.

So yes it's possible, just not with conventional methods.

Sure it could. You are going to have to build a refrigeration cycle. You need a compressor, evaporator (cpu block), porous plug and a condensor (radiator) with a refrigerant running through the system. Basically just turn your computer into a freezer.

cl-scott

Honorable
Depends on which temperature scale we're talking, since absolute zero would be a definite no, zero F people do on a pretty regular basis, and zero C is not out of the question. As long as the electrons can still flow, it SHOULD be able to work.

Current experimental quantum computers need to be just above absolute zero to function. Of course it's not possible to go below, but it's possible to get very close :)

Zero degrees Fahrenheit is actually colder than Zero degrees Centigrade

cl-scott

Honorable

You're right, I got my F and C mixed up. 0C is 32F, not the other way around. :ouch:

cbrunnem

Distinguished

just a split second thought thats prolly 99% wrong but if temperature is the amount of energy an substance has 0 degrees kelvin is no energy. that much is known but what about anti matter? wouldnt it have a below zero temperature if it has negative energy or mass? or could it even have a temperature...... hmmmmm..

Actually 0 K is not 0 energy, it's just minimum energy.

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

I was actually thinking of doing something like that for a proof of concept.

only problems are your room would get really hot (which would ventilate back into the case), you'd have to let the cooling system build up pressure before you booted your PC, it would be very noisy, probably take up allot of space and if you had a polished metal water block or something else that could cause condensation you may have a big problem! lol

Thermal energy is distinct from mass energy. Temperature is a measure of the amount of thermal energy that an atom has. Thermal energy is representative of the level of excitement in an atom's subatomic particles; it's like when you drink half a dozen redbulls and can't sit still. Mass energy is the energy equivalent via E=M*C^2.

InvalidError

Titan

Thermoelectric cooling does not work particularly well when you start working with high-power loads like ~100W CPU.

The thermal rating on TECs is for 10C temperature delta at maximum input power. If you try cooling a 100W CPU with a TEC rated for a maximum thermal load of 100W at full power and manage to keep the HSF at ambient temperature (no chance of that happening with the HSF now having to dissipate close to 200W), the CPU would operate at 10C below ambient.

Better off going with phase-change cooling for today's somewhat power-hungry CPUs.

cl-scott

Honorable

You just keep telling yourself that when you have a big gaping crater where your computer used to be. :p "It's not that I have nothing for a computer, it's that my computer turned into pure energy!"

cbrunnem

Distinguished

sooo would that be covered under an accidental warranty plan.....?