Shipping a GTX 580 Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

alverdeja

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I'm selling a custom built GTX 580 build on ebay, and I'm concerned about shipping. Has anyone ever shipped a PC with an installed GPU? Or more specifically, one as large or heavy as a GTX 580? Is it safe to ship already installed, or would it be best to remove it and ship it seperately and eat the extra shipping fee? I understand that I can get insurance, but does it only offer protection if there is visible damage on the package? Even if it arrives at the customers door intact, should they decide to return it and have it become damaged in the return shipping, then would I be at a loss? I will be shipping the PC in the box that the chassis came in. Any help would be much appreciated!

Solution
I'd take the card out and repacck it.
First remove the card, place it in an antistatic bag, wrap it in bubble wrap and put the whole thing in a plastic bag, then secure with tape. Put the card/bag/bubble wrap into the PC case and tape it to the top/bottom or a side panel as seems best to secure it for transit.
Remember: the customer ahs to remove and install the card, try not to mummyfy it with tape:)
The insurance will depend, all I can suggest is that you read the contract carefully and work with the customer if they return the goods.

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I wouldn't do this. Those peanuts can carry a static charge and MESS up your system. The card SHOULD be okay, but I would send it separately just to be safe.

it "should be fine", but if my 570 is any clue as to the weight of a 580 I would ship it separately, and give detailed instructions on how to put it back in (remember, even smart people are stupid when faced with the unknown... and God help you if the person is not intelligent to begin with).

Obviously configure the system with the card installed before shipping.

I'd take the card out and repacck it.
First remove the card, place it in an antistatic bag, wrap it in bubble wrap and put the whole thing in a plastic bag, then secure with tape. Put the card/bag/bubble wrap into the PC case and tape it to the top/bottom or a side panel as seems best to secure it for transit.
Remember: the customer ahs to remove and install the card, try not to mummyfy it with tape:)
The insurance will depend, all I can suggest is that you read the contract carefully and work with the customer if they return the goods.

Solution
I would take it out as well. Built a PC for a friend last Christmas and had to ship it from Tucson to New York. When it showed up, the GPU was fine, 5970, however it was dropped from a considerable height evidenced by the gaping hole in the side, and the CPU cooler, Artic Cooling v2, was ripped off its mount, which you have to screw them down. It broke the motherboard and severed some pins off the CPU. If you have a heavy CPU cooler, id consider packing that seperate as well. Live and learn.

alverdeja

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Yes, I'd have to say that that sounds like the best option. Thank you, sir! Now the only question is where can I find an anti-static bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.