HP Pavilion 6653W Graphics Card Upgrade?

michaeldx

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hi, I have an HP Pavilion 6653W. I am currently using an HDTV through the DVI and a VGA monitor. The integrated graphics card does not have an HDMI. I am getting a new monitor, so I would like to hook up 3, the VGA, the new one through HDMI, and the TV. I don't use it for gaming, usually. The most I do is watch videos. What video card do you guys recommend without having to upgrade my PSU? Or should I just get a DVI splitter or something like that? Power supply is only 250W.

I was looking at the Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR3, would that one even make a difference in performance?

These are the specs for my computer:

Motherboard
N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)

Processor
AMD Athlon II X2 250

Memory
5 GB (but I actually have to take 1GB out, so now I have 5GB, that RAM seemed to be faulty and kept showing BSOD)

Video graphics
Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200

Sound/Audio
Integrated ALC888S-VD audio

Networking
LAN: 10-Base-T

Hard drive
1 TB

CD/DVD disc drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology drive

Computer Case
Mid-size ATX

Power Supply
250W

Thanks so much for your help.

Both are very good choices, but if all he is actually doing is watching videos on his HDTV, then the OP is better off getting a cheaper card like the 5450 or the 6450.

Then again, I just read the question, and he wants to hook up three monitors through one graphics card, and of course that means one would have to get an Eyefinity card that can run off of 250W, which would make the 5670 a contender again.

Here's a Radeon 6670 that should run Eyefinity fine:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1366279&CatId=7005

You might need to use a few adapters, but it should work. First, you would need to use the DVI to VGA adapter that should come in the box with the card. The HDMI can be used to go to your monitor, and you would need a Display Port adapter like so:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=93495&CatId=467

to run your HDTV through the DVI. It might need some toying around to get it right, but it should work when finished.

michaeldx

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for your replies. I have a question, when I try to find a 5450, there are some that say 32 bit 512mb and some that say 64 bit 1GB.

Which one should be a better option in my case?

Same about the 5670.

Thanks again.

If you want to run 3 monitor, you can't run 3 monitors with a 5450. I would just go for whatever one is cheaper to be honest. Unless you are gaming it doesnt make a difference.

michaeldx

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Hi Deemo, so if i get the 5670 I can run 3 monitors? I have the third monitor on (TV) only to watch movies every now and then. I just don't want to have to plug and unplug devices all the time manually.

Thanks for your help