MiamiDave

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2005
I've had issues lately using all Yahoo services and ESPN.com. I'm not sure if that's the extent of my issues, but it's what I've noticed. The first thought would be that it's a virus or spyware, but I recently did a clean install with two entirely new hard drives and it didn't stop the problem. Just to be sure, I've run Adaware, Hijack This, and gone over my msconfig services and whatnot to verify that I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

It's gotten so strange that I've been forced to use google instead of yahoo (I realize that's the preferred choice by a lot of people but I've just always used yahoo since it's what I started with). I've also been forced to go to cnnsi.com instead of espn to get my sports updates.

I can't figure out the problem for the life of me. I'm using the standard Linksys wireless router. Tried turning DMZ on and then off and neither seemed to do the trick.

I'm seriously stumped at this point and it's driving me nuts. I have a fantasy football league from my job that's on yahoo and I have to use my laptop just to access it, it's gotten that bad.

(I've also tried clearing out my cookies and temporary internet files)

offgreen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
First get Microsofts free beta spyware program, I never used anything better. If you find nothing there then try using Firefox. And did you do an actual virus scan with an anti-virus program?

MiamiDave

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2005
I've tried anti-virus, yeah. It was a new install anyway, though. Totally new components and all, it's pretty much a new PC. I'm thinking it must be something with my Linksys router in that case, but I don't know what it could be and it's driving me nuts.

Anyone have any idea?

MiamiDave

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2005
Good idea, I'll try the direct-connect tonight.

What should MTU be set to, as a gamer? It's currently pretty low, I think it's 1500 (I'm not at home right now to check).

riser

Illustrious
1500 is standard, but I'd set it down to around 1470, it adds on 18 extra packets (I think packets) and it gets split. 1470 should be right and it might even help a very, minimal amount. You won't notice though.. but it might help with the webpage stuff.

You might also want to restore your defaults in IE on the Advanced tab of Internet Options, incase something there is causing the problem.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by riser on 10/05/05 02:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>