Tags:
  • Configuration
  • SSD
  • Dual Boot
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
January 24, 2013 6:34:21 PM

Hello,
I have just cloned Windows 7 from a small SSD to a larger one. It worked perfectly. Then I formatted the unallocated space on the larger SSD as a primary partition and did a clean install of Windows 8. this also worked ok. Unfortunately I an not getting the option on start-up of starting W7! i.e the expected dual-boot option has failed.
I would be grateful of any advide to solve this problem. Thanks Jim.

More about : dual boot problem

January 24, 2013 7:19:53 PM

Sorry for posting this twice - I blame Windows 8!
m
l
January 24, 2013 8:30:31 PM

Maybe I have a desktop computer with dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 Pro and it works great, no problems and I do get to choose during boot up time which OS I want, with Windows 8 being the default if I don't make a choice.

So this proves it can be done.

The difference is I have a separate hard drive for each operating system. Originally my desktop came with one hard drive and it had Windows 7 pre-installed on it.

Before I purchased the Windows 8 Pro software as a download I installed a second hard drive and then installed the Window 8 software.
During installation it ask me if I wanted to install the Windows 8 Pro software on hard drive 0 or hard drive 1, I choose the hard drive I just installed which was hard drive 1 and the setup program did the rest. The result was a dual boot system with a choice of booting up on Windows 7 or Windows 8 Pro.

I have had this dual boot system running since Windows 8 Pro was officially launched.

I also have a second dual boot system running on a laptop with the same setup, two separate hard drives, followed the same step in setup as the desktop, the only exception is it runs Vista and Windows 8 Pro. I still get the same results with a choice of running Vista or Windows 8 Pro with Windows 8 Pro being the default if I don't choose.

I know this doesn't answer your problem directly, but does prove that it can be done.

Here is a very good, but lengthy step by step tutorial on how to set up a Windows 8 dual boot system:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

January 24, 2013 8:38:49 PM

mfsanthany said:
Correction! ( I don't know where that "Maybe" came from) I do have a desktop computer with dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 Pro and it works great, no problems and I do get to choose during boot up time which OS I want, with Windows 8 being the default if I don't make a choice.

So this proves it can be done.

The difference is I have a separate hard drive for each operating system. Originally my desktop came with one hard drive and it had Windows 7 pre-installed on it.

Before I purchased the Windows 8 Pro software as a download I installed a second hard drive and then installed the Window 8 software.
During installation it ask me if I wanted to install the Windows 8 Pro software on hard drive 0 or hard drive 1, I choose the hard drive I just installed which was hard drive 1 and the setup program did the rest. The result was a dual boot system with a choice of booting up on Windows 7 or Windows 8 Pro.

I have had this dual boot system running since Windows 8 Pro was officially launched.

I also have a second dual boot system running on a laptop with the same setup, two separate hard drives, followed the same step in setup as the desktop, the only exception is it runs Vista and Windows 8 Pro. I still get the same results with a choice of running Vista or Windows 8 Pro with Windows 8 Pro being the default if I don't choose.

I know this doesn't answer your problem directly, but does prove that it can be done.

Here is a very good, but lengthy step by step tutorial on how to set up a Windows 8 dual boot system:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

January 25, 2013 10:17:15 AM

Thanks vey much for your reply. I have no idea why I didn't, initially, get the dual boot to work as I thought I had followed the instructions exactly. I spent most of last evening searching the internet to find out what I had done wong and to find the remedy. As is often the case the searching took a long time but the remedy was simple and only took a couple of minutes:

I booted the PC from the Windows 7 install disc and selected the repair option when it appeared. In a few seconds I got the message that there was an error in the start-up procedure, which the repair program promptly fixed and then delivered me to the dual-boot o/s selection screen. The syatem then proceeded to check all my drives, which took some time as I have 5 or 6 TB on 5 drives (I do a lot of video work) but following that everything seems fine.

Thanks again, Jim
m
l
February 3, 2013 3:06:42 PM

Best answer selected by JamesB69.
m
l