Using a monitor with the 360

lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003

Ok, I understand why someone with a huge plasma TV needs more than normal TV
resolution, since the screen's just so big. I also understand why someone
sitting right up at a computer monitor needs the high def, because they're
so close to it. But if I got a 19" monitor for the Xbox 360, would it really
make much difference, sitting a few metres away from it? I'm not going to
splash out on a huge plasma just for the console, but a monitor I wouldn't
mind. If I'm going to be looking at a 19" screen from a smallish distance (a
metre or two) am I just as well sticking with standard definition?

Lewis wrote:

> Ok, I understand why someone with a huge plasma TV needs more than normal TV
> resolution, since the screen's just so big. I also understand why someone
> sitting right up at a computer monitor needs the high def, because they're
> so close to it. But if I got a 19" monitor for the Xbox 360, would it really
> make much difference, sitting a few metres away from it? I'm not going to
> splash out on a huge plasma just for the console, but a monitor I wouldn't
> mind. If I'm going to be looking at a 19" screen from a smallish distance (a
> metre or two) am I just as well sticking with standard definition?

I use a 17" monitor with an xbox (X2VGA+) and the improvement in detail
is very noticeable. I've not seen that the XBox-360 has some sort of
VGA adapter, but it sounds like it would be worthwhile if it does.

Mike

Splendid

"Lewis" <sterio_mushroom@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I understand why someone with a huge plasma TV needs more than normal
> TV
> resolution, since the screen's just so big. I also understand why someone
> sitting right up at a computer monitor needs the high def, because they're
> so close to it. But if I got a 19" monitor for the Xbox 360, would it
> really
> make much difference, sitting a few metres away from it? I'm not going to
> splash out on a huge plasma just for the console, but a monitor I wouldn't
> mind. If I'm going to be looking at a 19" screen from a smallish distance
> (a
> metre or two) am I just as well sticking with standard definition?

Well i would prefer playing my X360 on a 19 inch computer monitor anyway.
I'm not really that impressed with high definition TVs or plasma. I don't
think there is a better picture out there than to have it displayed on a
good quality, sizeable CRT monitor. It will be a huge difference, as i
already notice a huge difference in using my Xbox on a pc monitor, and Xbox
games don't even run at much higher res than a standard TV. When i get my
360, i will be investing in the VGA adaptor that should be immediately
available at launch.

Grinder wrote:
> Lewis wrote:
>
>> Ok, I understand why someone with a huge plasma TV needs more than
>> normal TV
>> resolution, since the screen's just so big. I also understand why someone
>> sitting right up at a computer monitor needs the high def, because
>> they're
>> so close to it. But if I got a 19" monitor for the Xbox 360, would it
>> really
>> make much difference, sitting a few metres away from it? I'm not going to
>> splash out on a huge plasma just for the console, but a monitor I
>> wouldn't
>> mind. If I'm going to be looking at a 19" screen from a smallish
>> distance (a
>> metre or two) am I just as well sticking with standard definition?
>

> I use a 17" monitor with an xbox (X2VGA+) and the improvement in detail
> is very noticeable. I've not seen that the XBox-360 has some sort of
> VGA adapter, but it sounds like it would be worthwhile if it does.

Actually, I'm pretty sure VGA is standard, although you may need a
special cable to use it. I've been hoping to put a 19" or 21" VGA
monitor on my 360 when I get it. I'd rather use VGA than invest in a
big HDTV rig right now.

Andy

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
> Lewis wrote:
>
>> Ok, I understand why someone with a huge plasma TV needs more than normal
>> TV
>> resolution, since the screen's just so big. I also understand why someone
>> sitting right up at a computer monitor needs the high def, because
>> they're
>> so close to it. But if I got a 19" monitor for the Xbox 360, would it
>> really
>> make much difference, sitting a few metres away from it? I'm not going to
>> splash out on a huge plasma just for the console, but a monitor I
>> wouldn't
>> mind. If I'm going to be looking at a 19" screen from a smallish distance
>> (a
>> metre or two) am I just as well sticking with standard definition?
>
> I use a 17" monitor with an xbox (X2VGA+) and the improvement in detail is
> very noticeable. I've not seen that the XBox-360 has some sort of VGA
> adapter, but it sounds like it would be worthwhile if it does.

The premium package comes with VGA adaptor apparently.

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:13:38 +0100, "Beck"
<my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote:

>"Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
>> Lewis wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I understand why someone with a huge plasma TV needs more than normal
>>> TV
>>> resolution, since the screen's just so big. I also understand why someone
>>> sitting right up at a computer monitor needs the high def, because
>>> they're
>>> so close to it. But if I got a 19" monitor for the Xbox 360, would it
>>> really
>>> make much difference, sitting a few metres away from it? I'm not going to
>>> splash out on a huge plasma just for the console, but a monitor I
>>> wouldn't
>>> mind. If I'm going to be looking at a 19" screen from a smallish distance
>>> (a
>>> metre or two) am I just as well sticking with standard definition?
>>
>> I use a 17" monitor with an xbox (X2VGA+) and the improvement in detail is
>> very noticeable. I've not seen that the XBox-360 has some sort of VGA
>> adapter, but it sounds like it would be worthwhile if it does.
>
>The premium package comes with VGA adaptor apparently.

The premium pack comes with component cables but a VGA cable should be
available at launch.