Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 680 framerate drop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 31, 2012 11:17:11 PM

I installed my EVGA 680 this week, and I notice that in any game I play, I get a 3-4 fps drop randomly. It isn't a performance problem, I can just be standing still in a room with 60 fps and two minutes later it drops to 56 and goes back up to 60. This happens in Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim about every two or so minutes. My specs are Core i7 2600k, Corsair Force SSD 120gb, Windows 7 64, 8GB DDR3, 850psu. This never happened with my 560 Ti so I'm guessing it's either a issue that'll hopefully be fixed with a driver update or something having to do with v-synch which is turned on in all of my games because I can't stand screen tearing. Does anyone have any solutions or have experienced this before?

Thanks for the help.

More about : gtx 680 framerate drop

a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 12:27:42 AM

Do you notice the difference? That is, do you get a Vsync stutter when the rate drops to an effective 30fps for a second? If there's no subjective change then 1. it doesn't matter and 2. it's probably a weird little bug with the fps monitor.
m
l
April 1, 2012 1:54:15 AM

I do notice a difference, even when fraps isn't running, I can tell when the framerate drops. When that happens, it kinda snaps my mind out of the game zone. I know that sounds really stupid to you guys probably.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 88 U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 2:02:46 AM

Have you tried using the new adaptive V sync setting?
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 2:04:58 AM

Oh, it doesn't sound stupid at all. I've just got used to it, since my 460 doesn't exactly hit a consistent 60fps in everything.
+1 monsta
m
l
April 1, 2012 2:18:26 AM

It's just a small hiccup in the software. It might be addressed in the next graphics card driver update or in a future patch update for your game.
m
l
April 1, 2012 2:18:31 AM

I turned on the adaptive V sync setting for global applications and it seems to be working so far. I'll really test it tomorrow when I have time to spare.

Thanks for the advice monsta, I was trying to figure out how to turn it on before but didn't see it listed in the v sync drop box before.
m
l
a c 179 U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 10:47:31 AM

To be clear:
1) the drop in frame rate should be normal. I can't think of a single reason for a computer reason to do that without cause

2) VSYNC when enabled prevents screen tearing above the target FPS (i.e. 60FPS) by synching the card's created frame in time with the next monitor screen update

3) VSYNC when enabled causes a sudden, annoying stutter when it crosses below the FPS target, such as 60FPS, because it MISSES its next update and has to WAIT. (I still don't understand why the stutter is so huge though but apparently VSYNC being on below the target FPS is the reason.)

4) Adaptive VSYNC simply DISABLES VSYNC when you drop below the FPS threshold this means:
a) you will NOT get the sudden stutter when it drops below the target FPS, and
b) you WILL get some screen tearing below the target FPS because VSYNC is now OFF.

*Basically the goal is to adjust your quality settings to obtain VSYNC at least 90% of the time with Adaptive VSYNC enabled, so you won't get stuttering and will get minimal screen tearing.
(If VSYNC is ON, and FRAPS or a similar tool is running you should show a solid 60FPS or other target FPS 90% or more of the time).
m
l
a c 179 U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 10:54:03 AM

Update:
I should add that FRAPS can monitor your frame rate over a period of time.

For example, under "FPS" you can set the benchmark to at least 180 seconds and have "MinMaxAvg" enabled. I suggest getting the Average close to 70FPS (by adjusting quality settings in a balanced manor) to minimize drops below a VSYNC of 60FPS.

*I've noticed that game benchmarks are rarely indicative of actual game play (for example "GTA IV" had a benchmark of roughly twice the actual game play experience; Batman AC can bench a solid 60FPS (HD5870 graphics card) with its benchmark tool, but can experience drops to 20FPS in the city which are very annoying.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 11:13:00 AM

@photonboy:

no vsync only causes tearing when frame rates are above the refresh rate of the monitor. Otherwise it doesn't/shouldn't.
m
l
a c 179 U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 12:07:13 PM

ojas said:
@photonboy:

no vsync only causes tearing when frame rates are above the refresh rate of the monitor. Otherwise it doesn't/shouldn't.

NO.
VSync never "causes" tearing. It's sole purpose is to PREVENT tearing. When the graphics card creates a new frame it is buffered ready for the monitor to draw, then the monitor draws it. As long as the video card is fast enough to keep up (i.e. greater than 60FPS) this is no problem. So in this optimal scenario you will draw EXACTLY 60 frames every second. No more. No less.

However...
If VSYNC is disabled the graphics card simply spits out the next frame as FAST as it can create it and the monitor will then start drawing it. This leads to drawing the BEGINNING of a frame part way down the screen which is why you get the screen tearing effect.

So..
- VSYNC does not "cause" tearing. It prevents it.
- VSYNC does cause stutter though, when it attempts to SYNC, but can't because the card isn't fast enough, so it has to WAIT for the next monitor refresh causing a sudden drop from 60 to 30FPS.
- TEARING is what happens when VSYNC is NOT enabled thus the graphics card isn't synched to the monitor (VSYNC means Vertical Synchronization).
m
l
April 1, 2012 1:50:11 PM

tomhardcore said:
I installed my EVGA 680 this week, and I notice that in any game I play, I get a 3-4 fps drop randomly. It isn't a performance problem, I can just be standing still in a room with 60 fps and two minutes later it drops to 56 and goes back up to 60. This happens in Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim about every two or so minutes. My specs are Core i7 2600k, Corsair Force SSD 120gb, Windows 7 64, 8GB DDR3, 850psu. This never happened with my 560 Ti so I'm guessing it's either a issue that'll hopefully be fixed with a driver update or something having to do with v-synch which is turned on in all of my games because I can't stand screen tearing. Does anyone have any solutions or have experienced this before?

Thanks for the help.

Hi, i've a gtx 680 SLI and I have exactly the same problem with almost all games, in particular battlefield 3. I hope nvidia fix it as soon as possible because I spent over 1000€ in video cards -.-
m
l
a c 179 U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 4:29:26 PM

zago91 said:
Hi, i've a gtx 680 SLI and I have exactly the same problem with almost all games, in particular battlefield 3. I hope nvidia fix it as soon as possible because I spent over 1000€ in video cards -.-

I wonder if it could be the new GPU Boost feature?

GPU Boost constantly increases and decreases the graphics card frequency to meet the thermal load. Maybe it's not tuned quite right, suddenly dropping the frequency and thus the frame rate?
m
l
a c 179 U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 4:47:42 PM

Sorry, couldn't alter my post...

Someone said they SOLVED THE ISSUE via the latest drivers.

Can anyone else confirm this?
m
l
April 1, 2012 9:20:13 PM

yes, it's me
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2012 3:34:35 AM

Quote:
NO.
VSync never "causes" tearing. It's sole purpose is to PREVENT tearing. When the graphics card creates a new frame it is buffered ready for the monitor to draw, then the monitor draws it. As long as the video card is fast enough to keep up (i.e. greater than 60FPS) this is no problem. So in this optimal scenario you will draw EXACTLY 60 frames every second. No more. No less.

However...
If VSYNC is disabled the graphics card simply spits out the next frame as FAST as it can create it and the monitor will then start drawing it. This leads to drawing the BEGINNING of a frame part way down the screen which is why you get the screen tearing effect.

So..
- VSYNC does not "cause" tearing. It prevents it.
- VSYNC does cause stutter though, when it attempts to SYNC, but can't because the card isn't fast enough, so it has to WAIT for the next monitor refresh causing a sudden drop from 60 to 30FPS.
- TEARING is what happens when VSYNC is NOT enabled thus the graphics card isn't synched to the monitor (VSYNC means Vertical Synchronization).

lol i meant "no vsync" as in, vsync=off.

So again: turning vsync off doesn't cause tearing unless the frame rates are much higher than the refresh rate.

This is in ref. to :
Quote:

b) you WILL get some screen tearing below the target FPS because VSYNC is now OFF.
m
l
a c 179 U Graphics card
April 2, 2012 10:13:12 PM

Ojas,
You can get tearing at ANY frame rate without VSYNC enabled, above OR below.

The only difference is, if you are ABOVE the target FPS then VSYNC works properly, however if you are BELOW the target FPS then VSYNC tries to work but the graphics card can't keep up so then there are stuttering issues.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 5:05:00 PM

ahhhhh yes you're right. sorry! just referred to the gtx 680 whitepaper, adaptive vsync section.

so tearing is more noticeable at higher frame rates. ah.
m
l
a c 179 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 10:14:25 PM

ojas said:
ahhhhh yes you're right. sorry! just referred to the gtx 680 whitepaper, adaptive vsync section.

so tearing is more noticeable at higher frame rates. ah.

Actually, it's not easy to predict how bad tearing will be. It depends on the way the game was made, how quickly you pan (i.e. look left) and what multiple of your refresh rate you are at.

About sluggishness.

There is a bit of sluggishness with VSYNC because the card buffers one, and sometimes two frames in advance of the one it actually sends to the monitor.

A card that is CAPABLE of generating 180FPS is going to feel less sluggish than a card that can "only" generate 90FPS, despite the fact that you have VSYNC on and are only showing and creating 60FPS.

So the definition of "overkill" isn't quite so obvious.

m
l
April 8, 2012 10:05:39 PM

Best answer selected by tomhardcore.
m
l
January 7, 2013 10:58:36 PM

Sorry to open this thread but...

I discover something about the GTX 680... First I thought that it was the overclock but NO...
There is a place on crysis 2 that when I jump to the sewer the fps stucks at 30 fps... And do not change until:

1) I minimize and maximize the game, then the sewer goes up from 30 to 60fps.
2) Get out of there... And when I back again.
3) Just turn adaptive v-sync on or off.

So... It seams a kepler issue...

I can show you guys what happens on video... Do you whant to see???

It needs to be shown for the NVIDIA guys who is thing its kepler is perfect...

m
l
January 7, 2013 10:59:10 PM

I discover something about the GTX 680... First I thought that it was the overclock but NO...
There is a place on crysis 2 that when I jump to the sewer the fps stucks at 30 fps... And do not change until:

1) I minimize and maximize the game, then the sewer goes up from 30 to 60fps.
2) Get out of there... And when I back again.
3) Just turn adaptive v-sync on or off.

So... It seams a kepler issue...

I can show you guys what happens on video... Do you whant to see???

It needs to be shown for the NVIDIA guys who is thing its kepler is perfect...

m
l
a c 179 U Graphics card
January 8, 2013 5:24:56 AM

I played Crysis 2 with no issues on a GTX680.

Some advice on the settings:

If I max out I can average 120FPS (but see only 60 on my monitor). For almost the SAME quality I choose a lower quality setting. That's with DX11 and the HD Texture Pack.

So try this:
1) choose a setting that gives you an average of 80FPS or higher (with VSYNC OFF)
2) then use Adaptive VSYNC

It's much better to take a SMALL drop in quality (hardly noticeable) and keep a constant high frame rate.

What SHOULD happen now:
By enabling a higher frame rate, this should help prevent annoying drops. So you tweak to 80FPS roughly, then enable Adaptive VSYNC and it should synch to 60FPS. If it ever DROPS below 60FPS then the Adaptive VSYNC feature simply turns off VSYNC. You'll get a little screen tearing but no sudden stutter and resynch to 30FPS.

(I don't think FRAPS works properly when the frame rate drops below 60FPS, at least how I have it setup because with normal VSYNC it usually showed between 30FPS and 60FPS but never a solid 30FPS which it's supposed to be without Adaptive VSYNC. No idea why.)
m
l
!