Solved

I5 3570k with faster ram

I see that intel says that the i5 3570k can handle 1333 or 1600 MHz. would I be able to install ram that functions at a faster pace, such as 1866MHz or higher?

If so, I would be getting this MB: MSI Z77A-G45
the MB says it can handle higher speeds.

Please do not just tell me to get the 1600 because I many want to us a newer, faster cpu (that will utilize the speed) in the late future.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3570k faster
  1. Best answer
    yes a 3570k will support any ram speed just anything higher than 1600MHz is concidered a overcloak so dont worry. just you may have to go into your bios and change it from 1600MHz to whatever speed your are using. but truthfully you DONT need faster than 1600 there is NO improvement cash the money and save for something else like a graphics card or a 3770k
  2. lxgoldsmith said:
    Please do not just tell me to get the 1600 because I many want to us a newer, faster cpu (that will utilize the speed) in the late future.

    Well, the problem is that the CPU socket on that motherboard won't be compatible with the newer, faster CPUs that will come out in the future. The Haswell CPUs that Intel are going to release next year will use the new LGA 1150 socket, so they won't fit in current motherboards.
  3. so if I do not commonly play pc games with high speed requirements, would I really want a quality gpu, or a new ssd instead.

    I need to have sli/crossfirex because most gpu's do not have 2 vga connectors and are still able to output high def.

    I like to watch videos, and I will be recycling 2 vga monitors to a new pc to save a few bucks.
  4. no its just that at this point in time applications do not gain from using faster speeds because the speed of ram just improves the time it takes to open a program so since 1600MHz ram already has a low latency that faster ram will be limited by how many of the program's resources it has to load to the ram and even if in the case of alot of resources being loaded you would gain like 1 second faster opening speed of the program but other than that thats all you gain its not being limited by the hardware its being limited by the software. just get 1600 MHz ram.
  5. There is almost no reason to get 1600 RAM. Even if Haswell can use 1866, it will still make very little, if any, difference in most tasks. Stick w/ 1600.
  6. @kylekillzone

    Apps might open faster, but higher speed RAM is not going to improve the time to open an application by a meaningful amount. The only reason to get 1866 or higher is for intensive tasks like video editing, CAD, etc. But, you are right.
  7. lxgoldsmith said:
    so if I do not commonly play pc games with high speed requirements, would I really want a quality gpu, or a new ssd instead.

    I need to have sli/crossfirex because most gpu's do not have 2 vga connectors and are still able to output high def.

    I like to watch videos, and I will be recycling 2 vga monitors to a new pc to save a few bucks.

    get a SSD and a dvi to vga or a hdmi to vga adapter they are like $5-$10
  8. obsama1 said:
    @kylekillzone

    Apps might open faster, but higher speed RAM is not going to improve the time to open an application by a meaningful amount. The only reason to get 1866 or higher is for intensive tasks like video editing, CAD, etc. But, you are right.

    exactly i was trying to put that 1 second (if that) is not worth the faster ram
  9. Sakkura said:
    Well, the problem is that the CPU socket on that motherboard won't be compatible with the newer, faster CPUs that will come out in the future. The Haswell CPUs that Intel are going to release next year will use the new LGA 1150 socket, so they won't fit in current motherboards.


    then will these processors be obsolete within a year?
  10. Best answer selected by lxgoldsmith.
  11. lxgoldsmith said:
    then will these processors be obsolete within a year?

    Well, sort of. They'll keep selling them for a while longer, and their performance will still be fine. But they won't be compatible with the newest motherboards.
  12. lxgoldsmith said:
    then will these processors be obsolete within a year?

    haswell comes out 1st half of 2013 but you will probablly be fine with a ivy bridge most likely
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs RAM Intel i5