Phenom quad 965 black edition vs intel core 2 quad

Hello guys.
I got a pc with : - core 2 duo
- 4 gb ram
- motherboard Asus P5QPL-Am
- GPU Asus radeon 6770
So i am gonna change my CPU because for future games and for more nice graphics and no lag i need a quad core so i was thinking about those 2 CPUs. I wanted to come here to ask you guys because you are pro in these kind of things.

So my question : AMD phenom quad core 965 black edition 3,4 GHZ or Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 2,83 GHZ?

Please explain your choise because i wanna know if there are big or small diferences.
11 answers Last reply
More about phenom quad black edition intel core quad
  1. Phenom Quad Core.

It's newer, supports more instructions, has a better upgrade path, etc.

However, I'd wait for the FX-4350 coming out in Oct. Might beat the Phenoms and it will cost $130.
  2. you do understand that the AMD chip will require a new motherboard right?

if you are swapping motherboards i would stick with intel, but step up to a lga1155 chip.
  3. An i5 and LGA 1155 mobo would offer the most performance, albeit at a higher price.
  4. buy which ever is cheaper since the performance difference between the 2 chips is insignificant.
  5. at this point in time I wouldn't waste time on either on of them. I had/have them both. the q9550 is quicker............ and I'm not talking about how many FPS I'm getting while gaming...... just seems snappier, quicker through put.
  6. The 12mb core 2 quad will hold its own even against some of the more modern chips but the board has to be a good one. If the board is one of the more desirable ddr3 boards than can handle a high fsb then it will be good for a few more years but if ddr2 then it will already be held back.

The Phenom 2 isn't anything to look down on but is very easy to overclock, it has much better i/o than any 775 system.
  7. i just wanna know which is better in gaming section phenom or intel quad?
  8. daswilhelm said:
    you do understand that the AMD chip will require a new motherboard right?

if you are swapping motherboards i would stick with intel, but step up to a lga1155 chip.

yes i know that i need new motherboard + ddr 3 ram that's why i make this pc for games
  9. so if you are buying all these new things, why are you going to use old technology?
  10. Depends on which C2Q we are looking at.
  11. amuffin said:
    Depends on which C2Q we are looking at.

intel core 2 quad Q9550 2,83ghz
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Quad