Windows 7 OEM disc not recognised

shadow1942

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
hey guys,

I'm currently looking to replace XP with windows 7 on my old PC, one so I can use it as a media centre for my TV and it should improve the performance of my machine a little.

The problem I have is, I bought a copy of windows from my local computer store, they've given me an OEM copy (not sure if this matters) and when I put it into the DVD drive it accesses for a coupe of minutes then nothing happens.

I have read that there's a lot of issues out there with windows 7 & installs and I guess I want the easiest way to get around ths issue.

What I've tried:
1. restarting the PC with the disc in it but it just booted XP from the hard drive
2. changed my bios setting to boot from DVD and restarted. The couple then hangs on a black screen for around 20 minutes and then boots XP.
3. tried opening disc in "my computer" but no files are visable, so I can't select the setup file
4. I have checked the DVD drive is working fine and it will even recognise my other copy of windows that was provided with my new PC, however I get an error along the lines of "incorrect installation disc select correct installation disc and select custom install".
5. I tried the OEM disc in my new PC and its recognised, so disc is fine
6. I checked compatibility using windows upgrade advisor it seems to say I have no conflicts and can either use 32bit or 64bit
7. I also download CPU-Z and checked that the processor is 64bit compatible and supposedly it is.

The only thing I can think of is to do a full clean install so format my harddrive and install, I'm happy to format the drive as I've backed everything up, however I've installed operating systems for years and never had this many issues so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd prefer not to have to disconnect harddrives (as suggested in some internet posts) but if I have to then I will. I just don't see a reason why I should have to go that far to install an OS.

Thanks

Shane1027

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

Hi shadow1942,

I am having the exact same problem while attempting to install windows 7 on my old Dell Optiplex gx 280. It is for sure compatible with 64 bit windows 7, as i have read many people have success uPgrading this computer. I am currently on windows xp 64 bit and thE install disc definitely works as I used it for my other newer pc a few weeks back. It really bothers me that I can't even boot from this cd even though everything is enabled in the bios and my disc drive works just fine.

Did you ever figure out the problem? Also my disc drive is really old, should I try using a newer one I have on hand for the install?

Thanks a lot.

Shane1027

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Thanks a lot I thought this could be a problem. I just thought of something, could I use a bootable USB flashdrive to install windows 7? If not I'll grab some more sata cables and put in my newer disc drive.