Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Compatibility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 1, 2012 12:11:49 AM

Hi all,

recently, I have been looking to upgrade the graphics card on my very oldschool PC. The graphics card I currently have is a Geforce 7600gt. I am also running a Gigabyte GA-945PL-S3 (rev. 1.0) motherboard and looking at the manual it has one PCI-E x16 1.0 graphics slot. The question here is, will it be able to run PCI-E x16 2.0 cards? The reason I ask this is because in various other forums people are saying that they are compatible, however I am wondering if this is possible for my particular motherboard. Unfortunately PCI-E 1.0 cards are getting hard to find.

At the moment I am looking at cards along the lines of the PNY NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, but I would be prepared to pay anything upto about £100 for one. Any compatible graphics card suggestions and general help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Also, I would like to point out that my computer is running a 2.0 ghz intel core 2 duo, has 2gb of ram, a 430 watt PSU and runs Windows XP.

Thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 3:16:50 AM

ANY pci-e 2.0/3.0 card will work in a pci-e 1.0 slot. They all have backwards compatibility and will function in a 1.0 slot. The only downfall in this is that the performance of the card is somewhat limited.
!