Different expansion slot

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
I am looking at a cooler master HAF XM case, and wondering how I could utilize the expansion slot that's sideways across from the normal slots. I know I could, but I can't find what I want or what it is called. I know I would put in a board on a motherboard to reach the slot. could I use that slot for a dual slot video card that I don't want to cove mb slots with?

Solution
It is called a vertical expansion slot, there is nothing different other than the regular slots being horizontal. It is used for extra accessories ei usb, esata, fan controller, etc. These are the same exact things that can also be placed in the regular slots but would need an extension wire to reach. It is only a single vertical slot so would not hold a dual slot card.

pauls3743

Distinguished
I believe then 8th slot in the case is for when a graphics card is sitting in the last slot of the motherboard when you're running tri/quad SLi/crossfire. A normal ATX motherboard can only handle upto 7 expansion slots.

It is called a vertical expansion slot, there is nothing different other than the regular slots being horizontal. It is used for extra accessories ei usb, esata, fan controller, etc. These are the same exact things that can also be placed in the regular slots but would need an extension wire to reach. It is only a single vertical slot so would not hold a dual slot card.

Solution

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

So if I used a dual slot video card that covered a PCIex1 slot, could I connect an extension under the video card so that slot could still be used?

Latest posts