Help choosing a CPU

moose016

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking to build a new system to replace my aging core 2 DUO and I'm trying to decide between an i5 and an i7 processor. I'm trying to build something that will be responsive for many years. I mostly do a lot of multitasking, having 40+ browser tabs open, multiple folders with a lot of pictures, things like that, not much in the way of games. That being said I'd like as much power as possible. I'd like to keep the build under $700. I saw a good deal on a i7 2600k and mobo today, but I'm not sure if I should go for an older i7 sandy bridge or a newer i5 or i7 ivy bridge. (I'm willing to consider a top of the line AMD for the right price as well)

I'll hopefully have 16 GB of Ram, possibly upgraded to 32 later, Windows 7 Home premium, professional or ultimate. Haven't given much thought to the motherboard, probably will buy a barebones kit and take the mobo that is offered.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

moose016

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Thanks a lot for the input. I think I'll probably go for the i5-3570 or I've seen some deals on the i7-3770 lately. I'll definitely add an SSD as well. I want this to be a quick, responsive system for years to come and to be able to handle a lot of multi tasking, media, etc.