Help setting up new comp for Digital Audio Production & ge..

Hi guys - I'm getting a new laptop to run my audio recording rig and the
problem is, although not ideal, i'm going to need it to be an "everything
else" laptop as well as a "recording" laptop. It will be running Windows XP
Media Center Edition, 2GB Ram, 800Mhz FSB, P4 3.2 Ghz, etc. Now...I will
have it set-up with two hardware profiles (one with minimal hardware drivers
installed for audio work, and one wtih everything running for "everything
else") and I will also have two user accounts for the same purpose. Problem
is, changes in msconfig are global - and not restricted to one account or
another. Is there a way to have different software startup sequences for
different usernames? I don't need norton running when i'm recording and not
hooked up to the internet...but i DO want it running when i'm in "everything
else" mode. Any help would be HUGE!

Thanks!

Josh
2 answers Last reply
More about help setting comp digital audio production

    what about Dual Booting? Is it possible to dual-boot with both OS's being XP
    MCE? Or even XPMCE and XP? Would that accomplish what i'm looking to do?

    "ManFromTheBand" wrote:

    > Hi guys - I'm getting a new laptop to run my audio recording rig and the
    > problem is, although not ideal, i'm going to need it to be an "everything
    > else" laptop as well as a "recording" laptop. It will be running Windows XP
    > Media Center Edition, 2GB Ram, 800Mhz FSB, P4 3.2 Ghz, etc. Now...I will
    > have it set-up with two hardware profiles (one with minimal hardware drivers
    > installed for audio work, and one wtih everything running for "everything
    > else") and I will also have two user accounts for the same purpose. Problem
    > is, changes in msconfig are global - and not restricted to one account or
    > another. Is there a way to have different software startup sequences for
    > different usernames? I don't need norton running when i'm recording and not
    > hooked up to the internet...but i DO want it running when i'm in "everything
    > else" mode. Any help would be HUGE!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Josh

    You need two partitions - preferably two harddrives (at least :)
    Another way is to edit autoexec.bat - guess there should be a command to NOT
    start norton.
    Michael
    "ManFromTheBand" <ManFromTheBand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > what about Dual Booting? Is it possible to dual-boot with both OS's being
    > XP
    > MCE? Or even XPMCE and XP? Would that accomplish what i'm looking to do?
    >
    > "ManFromTheBand" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi guys - I'm getting a new laptop to run my audio recording rig and the
    >> problem is, although not ideal, i'm going to need it to be an "everything
    >> else" laptop as well as a "recording" laptop. It will be running Windows
    >> XP
    >> Media Center Edition, 2GB Ram, 800Mhz FSB, P4 3.2 Ghz, etc. Now...I will
    >> have it set-up with two hardware profiles (one with minimal hardware
    >> drivers
    >> installed for audio work, and one wtih everything running for "everything
    >> else") and I will also have two user accounts for the same purpose.
    >> Problem
    >> is, changes in msconfig are global - and not restricted to one account or
    >> another. Is there a way to have different software startup sequences for
    >> different usernames? I don't need norton running when i'm recording and
    >> not
    >> hooked up to the internet...but i DO want it running when i'm in
    >> "everything
    >> else" mode. Any help would be HUGE!
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Josh