Help setting up new comp for Digital Audio Production & ge..

Hi guys - I'm getting a new laptop to run my audio recording rig and the
problem is, although not ideal, i'm going to need it to be an "everything
else" laptop as well as a "recording" laptop. It will be running Windows XP
Media Center Edition, 2GB Ram, 800Mhz FSB, P4 3.2 Ghz, etc. Now...I will
have it set-up with two hardware profiles (one with minimal hardware drivers
installed for audio work, and one wtih everything running for "everything
else") and I will also have two user accounts for the same purpose. Problem
is, changes in msconfig are global - and not restricted to one account or
another. Is there a way to have different software startup sequences for
different usernames? I don't need norton running when i'm recording and not
hooked up to the internet...but i DO want it running when i'm in "everything
else" mode. Any help would be HUGE!

Thanks!

Josh

what about Dual Booting? Is it possible to dual-boot with both OS's being XP
MCE? Or even XPMCE and XP? Would that accomplish what i'm looking to do?

"ManFromTheBand" wrote:

> Hi guys - I'm getting a new laptop to run my audio recording rig and the
> problem is, although not ideal, i'm going to need it to be an "everything
> else" laptop as well as a "recording" laptop. It will be running Windows XP
> Media Center Edition, 2GB Ram, 800Mhz FSB, P4 3.2 Ghz, etc. Now...I will
> have it set-up with two hardware profiles (one with minimal hardware drivers
> installed for audio work, and one wtih everything running for "everything
> else") and I will also have two user accounts for the same purpose. Problem
> is, changes in msconfig are global - and not restricted to one account or
> another. Is there a way to have different software startup sequences for
> different usernames? I don't need norton running when i'm recording and not
> hooked up to the internet...but i DO want it running when i'm in "everything
> else" mode. Any help would be HUGE!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Josh

You need two partitions - preferably two harddrives (at least :)
Another way is to edit autoexec.bat - guess there should be a command to NOT
start norton.
Michael
"ManFromTheBand" <ManFromTheBand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what about Dual Booting? Is it possible to dual-boot with both OS's being
> XP
> MCE? Or even XPMCE and XP? Would that accomplish what i'm looking to do?
>
> "ManFromTheBand" wrote:
>
>> Hi guys - I'm getting a new laptop to run my audio recording rig and the
>> problem is, although not ideal, i'm going to need it to be an "everything
>> else" laptop as well as a "recording" laptop. It will be running Windows
>> XP
>> Media Center Edition, 2GB Ram, 800Mhz FSB, P4 3.2 Ghz, etc. Now...I will
>> have it set-up with two hardware profiles (one with minimal hardware
>> drivers
>> installed for audio work, and one wtih everything running for "everything
>> else") and I will also have two user accounts for the same purpose.
>> Problem
>> is, changes in msconfig are global - and not restricted to one account or
>> another. Is there a way to have different software startup sequences for
>> different usernames? I don't need norton running when i'm recording and
>> not
>> hooked up to the internet...but i DO want it running when i'm in
>> "everything
>> else" mode. Any help would be HUGE!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Josh