Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem with home built computer detecting hard drive

Last response: in Systems
May 31, 2012 5:20:53 PM

Hello, I recently built my first computer and I am having issues with the computer detecting the hard drive.

At first my hard drive was recognized and I did all my installations fine but when ever I shut the computer off and later turned it on again, it couldn't boot because it didn't recognize a hard drive. When I went into the BIOS it still said there was no detected hard drive. So I just turned the computer off, cracked open the case, and re plugged all the SATA connectors from the motherboard to the hard drive. When I booted it up it worked and the hard drive was recognized and everything booted up normally. But then the next time I shut my computer down, it wouldn't recognize the hard drive when I started it up. Now, every time I shut my computer off, or put it in sleep mode, it can't detect the hard drive and I have to go in and unplug and then re plug everything. Is there any way to fix this so I don't have to go through the big hassle every time?

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Connection: SATA 6.0 GB/S

Thanks

Best solution

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
May 31, 2012 8:25:53 PM

Did you check for BIOS upgrades? I see the most recent is 5/18/12.

If that fails try replacing the SATA cable and use a different power cable.

If those fail RMA the drive.

June 1, 2012 3:03:27 AM

Ok, I will try these things and get back to you, thanks.
m
l
Related resources
June 16, 2012 3:07:14 AM

Hello, sorry that it has taken me a while to respond, I have been trying some things out and seeing if they work over a period of time.

So far I have updated the BIOS, changed the SATA connectors (but not the power connectors), and updated/installed some drivers from ASUS. Doing all of these has helped but not totally fixed the problem. Now, if I cleanly shut down the computer I can later reboot and it works fine. But if I ever have to force shut down it sometimes won't work. In addition, it still fails to work when awakening from sleep mode so for now I had to disable sleep mode.

So should I still try to RMA the drive or is there anything else I could do to completely fix the problem?
m
l
June 16, 2012 5:28:10 AM

Still sounds like a bad drive, but I can't be sure. Ideally you would test it in anther computer.
m
l
June 16, 2012 4:28:39 PM

Ok, unfortunetly I don't have that option.

Thanks for your help, I will keep trying.
m
l
June 16, 2012 4:28:49 PM

Best answer selected by Cherokee Jack.
m
l
June 16, 2012 4:37:35 PM

Hi,it's probably the SATA mode setting is changed to IDE in AHCI in the BIOS default,regards,Bob
m
l
June 17, 2012 5:09:48 AM

That's a great idea. You should check what it's set to.
m
l
June 18, 2012 4:39:06 PM

I checked and it is currently on AHCI. Should it be changed to IDE or RAID?
m
l
June 18, 2012 8:11:59 PM

You can try to set it to IDE mode. The drive is fully compatible with AHCI mode so I would not expect this to help, but if you originally had set it to IDE mode, installed the OS, then switched it to AHCI mode that would cause issues.
m
l
June 19, 2012 4:29:40 PM

No I haven't changed it at all, it has been on default, AHCI, the entire time.
m
l
!