Sign in with
Your question

Switched cases everything is the exact same except

Last response: in CPUs
September 26, 2012 1:47:55 AM

I recently switched cases on my computer I originally had a slim computer and my normal sized computer broke down so I wanted more room in my slim computer so i moved the mother board and everything over. I plugged everything in the exact same way except I did not attach the mother board to the case cause the screws did not fit right it starts up when i hit the power button everything is running perfectly fine im getting a new graphics card here soon in case that is the problem but everything seems to be running perfectly fine i don't know what would cause it any help is appreciated

More about : switched cases exact

September 26, 2012 2:01:22 AM

Wait so what is the problem?
September 26, 2012 2:02:31 AM

kylekillzone said:
Wait so what is the problem?

The problem is when I turn on the power I get no picture on my monitor.
Related resources
a c 184 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2012 2:03:42 AM

Is everything plugged in?
September 26, 2012 2:05:05 AM

amuffin said:
Is everything plugged in?

Yes everything is plugged in correctly I double checked that it was.
September 26, 2012 2:05:26 AM

FluffyWolfPanda said:
The problem is when I turn on the power I get no picture on my monitor.

I got that once and i just reseated my Graphics Card into my motherboard.
September 26, 2012 2:06:53 AM

kylekillzone said:

Okay I will try that see if thats is it.
September 26, 2012 2:13:35 AM

kylekillzone said:

Okay I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and it still isnt working
September 26, 2012 2:33:03 AM

Hmm are the fans spinning on the card?
September 26, 2012 2:35:20 AM

kylekillzone said:
Hmm are the fans spinning on the card?

Yes they are
September 26, 2012 2:40:53 AM

Do you have another pci lane you can put the graphics card in?
September 26, 2012 2:43:24 AM

kylekillzone said:
Do you have another pci lane you can put the graphics card in?

No I do not its a low profile motherboard
September 26, 2012 2:45:34 AM

Well at this point it could be 1 of two things. A faulty motherboard or graphics card. Does the motherboard have on board graphics or do you have a extra graphics card from your old computer?
a c 123 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2012 2:45:53 AM

Am I the only one who read this part:

Quote:
except I did not attach the mother board to the case cause the screws did not fit right

?

Heres the thing. Sitting the mobo on the standoffs or not rearranging them to properly fit the holes on the board means you could have a standoff touching a area on the back of the mobo causing a short.

Pull the mobo out and see if you can change the standoffs around to match the mobos layout. If not, you need a new case.
September 26, 2012 2:49:23 AM

oh forgot about that the screws ground the motherboard to the case try running the machine like a testbed with the componets out of the case and see if it works
September 26, 2012 2:49:51 AM

jimmysmitty said:

Quote:
except I did not attach the mother board to the case cause the screws did not fit right

?

Heres the thing. Sitting the mobo on the standoffs or not rearranging them to properly fit the holes on the board means you could have a standoff touching a area on the back of the mobo causing a short.

Pull the mobo out and see if you can change the standoffs around to match the mobos layout. If not, you need a new case.

Okay I will try that thanks for the help
September 26, 2012 3:36:49 AM

jimmysmitty said:

Quote:

?

Okay so I tried to move it around and made sure there was nothing there to short it out and it still won't work any other ideas
!