Can't set taskbar caption font using XP style

Hi

An annoyance: when I use XP Style (vs. classic style) Windows just sets
the taskbar font and start menu->all programs menu font to MS Sans Serif
(that's what it looks like) no matter what I change in control
panel->display->appearance->advanced. I also can't affect the font
explorer uses for the folder tree (the font for the list view I can
change). Is there some way around this?

thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about taskbar caption font style

    Hi Darius,

    This is my own personal regkey to change all fonts to ArialBlack. Just edit
    it for your own preference and add it to your registry.

    Andy

    ------------------------------------ 8< -----------------------------------

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]
    "Arial CE,238"="Arial Black"
    "Arial CYR,204"="Arial Black"
    "Arial Greek,161"="Arial Black"
    "Arial TUR,162"="Arial Black"
    "Courier New CE,238"="Arial Black"
    "Courier New CYR,204"="Arial Black"
    "Courier New Greek,161"="Arial Black"
    "Courier New TUR,162"="Arial Black"
    "Helv"="Arial Black"
    "Helvetica"="Arial Black"
    "MS Shell Dlg 2"="Arial Black"
    "Times"="Arial Black"
    "Times New Roman CE,238"="Arial Black"
    "Times New Roman CYR,204"="Arial Black"
    "Times New Roman Greek,161"="Arial Black"
    "Times New Roman TUR,162"="Arial Black"
    "Tms Rmn"="Arial Black"
    "Arial Baltic,186"="Arial Black"
    "Courier New Baltic,186"="Arial Black"
    "Times New Roman Baltic,186"="Arial Black"
    "MS Shell Dlg.X-Setup Backup"="Arial Black"
    "Tahoma"="Arial Black"
    "Tahoma Bold"="Arial Black"
    "vgaoem"="Arial Black"
    "dosapp"="Arial Black"
    "modern"="Arial Black"
    "script"="Arial Black"
    "Arial"="Arial Black"
    "Courier New"="Arial Black"
    "Arial Bold"="Arial Black"
    "Arial Narrow"="Arial Black"
    "Arial Rounded MT Bold"="Arial Black"
    "Arial Unicode MS"="Arial Black"
    "Microsoft Sans Serif"="Arial Black"
    "MS Sans Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24"="Arial Black"
    "MS Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24"="Arial Black"
    "Trebuchet MS"="Arial Black"
    "Verdana"="Arial Black"
    "Verdana Ref"="Arial Black"
    @="Arial Black"
    "MS Shell Dlg"="Arial Black"
    "vgafix.fon"="Arial Black"
    "vgafix"="Arial Black"
    "vgaoem.fon"="Arial Black"
    "vgasys"="Arial Black"
    "vgasys.fon"="Arial Black"
    "vga850"="Arial Black"
    "vga850.fon"="Arial Black"

    ------------------------------------ 8< -----------------------------------

    "darius" <noone@here.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > An annoyance: when I use XP Style (vs. classic style) Windows just sets
    > the taskbar font and start menu->all programs menu font to MS Sans Serif
    > (that's what it looks like) no matter what I change in control
    > panel->display->appearance->advanced. I also can't affect the font
    > explorer uses for the folder tree (the font for the list view I can
    > change). Is there some way around this?
    >
    > thanks

    That is system default. To alter:

    This will change most of them. Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this
    key:

    NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

    In the right pane, change the Font Name for: MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell
    Dlg2.

    Then right click the Desktop/Properties/Appearance/Advanced/
    Icon and set the same Font Name there. Ok your way out, then reboot.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in

    > That is system default. To alter:
    >
    > This will change most of them. Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate
    > to this key:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

    Ah! thank you both. This will come in handy for other situations, too
    :)

Configuration Taskbar Style Font Windows XP