Can't set taskbar caption font using XP style

January 20, 2005 3:08:36 PM

Hi

An annoyance: when I use XP Style (vs. classic style) Windows just sets
the taskbar font and start menu->all programs menu font to MS Sans Serif
(that's what it looks like) no matter what I change in control
panel->display->appearance->advanced. I also can't affect the font
explorer uses for the folder tree (the font for the list view I can
change). Is there some way around this?

thanks
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 4:07:18 AM

Hi Darius,

This is my own personal regkey to change all fonts to ArialBlack. Just edit
it for your own preference and add it to your registry.

Andy

------------------------------------ 8< -----------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]
"Arial CE,238"="Arial Black"
"Arial CYR,204"="Arial Black"
"Arial Greek,161"="Arial Black"
"Arial TUR,162"="Arial Black"
"Courier New CE,238"="Arial Black"
"Courier New CYR,204"="Arial Black"
"Courier New Greek,161"="Arial Black"
"Courier New TUR,162"="Arial Black"
"Helv"="Arial Black"
"Helvetica"="Arial Black"
"MS Shell Dlg 2"="Arial Black"
"Times"="Arial Black"
"Times New Roman CE,238"="Arial Black"
"Times New Roman CYR,204"="Arial Black"
"Times New Roman Greek,161"="Arial Black"
"Times New Roman TUR,162"="Arial Black"
"Tms Rmn"="Arial Black"
"Arial Baltic,186"="Arial Black"
"Courier New Baltic,186"="Arial Black"
"Times New Roman Baltic,186"="Arial Black"
"MS Shell Dlg.X-Setup Backup"="Arial Black"
"Tahoma"="Arial Black"
"Tahoma Bold"="Arial Black"
"vgaoem"="Arial Black"
"dosapp"="Arial Black"
"modern"="Arial Black"
"script"="Arial Black"
"Arial"="Arial Black"
"Courier New"="Arial Black"
"Arial Bold"="Arial Black"
"Arial Narrow"="Arial Black"
"Arial Rounded MT Bold"="Arial Black"
"Arial Unicode MS"="Arial Black"
"Microsoft Sans Serif"="Arial Black"
"MS Sans Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24"="Arial Black"
"MS Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24"="Arial Black"
"Trebuchet MS"="Arial Black"
"Verdana"="Arial Black"
"Verdana Ref"="Arial Black"
@="Arial Black"
"MS Shell Dlg"="Arial Black"
"vgafix.fon"="Arial Black"
"vgafix"="Arial Black"
"vgaoem.fon"="Arial Black"
"vgasys"="Arial Black"
"vgasys.fon"="Arial Black"
"vga850"="Arial Black"
"vga850.fon"="Arial Black"

------------------------------------ 8< -----------------------------------

"darius" <noone@here.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> An annoyance: when I use XP Style (vs. classic style) Windows just sets
> the taskbar font and start menu->all programs menu font to MS Sans Serif
> (that's what it looks like) no matter what I change in control
> panel->display->appearance->advanced. I also can't affect the font
> explorer uses for the folder tree (the font for the list view I can
> change). Is there some way around this?
>
> thanks
January 21, 2005 6:45:19 AM

That is system default. To alter:

This will change most of them. Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this
key:

NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

In the right pane, change the Font Name for: MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell
Dlg2.

Then right click the Desktop/Properties/Appearance/Advanced/
Icon and set the same Font Name there. Ok your way out, then reboot.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"darius" <noone@here.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> An annoyance: when I use XP Style (vs. classic style) Windows just sets
> the taskbar font and start menu->all programs menu font to MS Sans Serif
> (that's what it looks like) no matter what I change in control
> panel->display->appearance->advanced. I also can't affect the font
> explorer uses for the folder tree (the font for the list view I can
> change). Is there some way around this?
>
> thanks
January 22, 2005 1:16:02 PM

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in

> That is system default. To alter:
>
> This will change most of them. Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate
> to this key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

Ah! thank you both. This will come in handy for other situations, too
:)
!