Negative airflow: Do I need an intake fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billgates8889

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I currently have one exhaust fan and no intake fan, but I'll be getting an additional fan soon. The question is that should I place the fan as a intake fan or another exhaust fan? My motherboard only supports two fans.

Solution
The most important fan is the exhaust next to the CPU to draw air across the CPU area. The PSU fan does some of that job but having the rear exhaust will reduce the temperature of hot air entering the PSU and circulating around the CPU area which should help all parts last longer.

The next most important fans for me are the front intake(s) to keep HDDs cool and give natural convection a helping hand by ramming fresh air along the case's bottom to help displace hot air.
Depends on where the mounts are.

I would install another exhaust fan out the back with the current one or another exhaust out the top. You haven't told us what case so really can't answer the question.

You really don't need intake. The case will draw in all the air it needs passively through the front of the case.

You do NOT want exhaust in the front AND back.

billgates8889

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
This is what my current case looks like. The PSU fan is a exhaust fan. The CPU fan is a down blower fan. There are also two fans on the graphics card. Depending whether the fan is an exhaust of intake fan, the fan will be installed either at the front or the back.
27092012040.jpg

27092012042.jpg

InvalidError

Titan
The most important fan is the exhaust next to the CPU to draw air across the CPU area. The PSU fan does some of that job but having the rear exhaust will reduce the temperature of hot air entering the PSU and circulating around the CPU area which should help all parts last longer.

The next most important fans for me are the front intake(s) to keep HDDs cool and give natural convection a helping hand by ramming fresh air along the case's bottom to help displace hot air.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.