Does keeping this build make sense?

rafamericano

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Dear friends,

My build from the beginning of 2010 until the moment the motherboard fried (about one and a half years ago) consisted of:

MOTHERBOARD: Asus p5qm;
PROCESSOR: Intel Quad Q6600;
4GB of a ddr3 1033 RAM;
GPU: eVGA GTX 280;
PSU: Corsair 750-TX (750w);
COOLER: Zalman CNPS9700led;
SOUNDBOARD: Asus Xonar hdav 1.3 Slim
... and it was coupled with a LG blu-ray player and a 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 hard-drive.

I used it on a huge flat screen TV for blu-ray playback, music, and mostly a lot of gaming. So, the mobo fried and I lay the system aside for a while. Now I don't have so much time for gaming but I'd like a rig strong enough to do some film editing, graphical processing and just be agile mostly. Nowadays I only have a samsung galaxy tab and a netbook that is connected to my 23'' monitor. :( So I've looking hard for a mobo that would be able to accommodate my equipment even if modestly; accept the 8GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM I bought; and that wouldn't be too expensive. Though I'm not really satisfied, my best bet seems to be this one: http://www.bestinformatica.com.br/loja/produto.php?loja=144940&IdProd=5127&parceiro=3181

If I sold each part individually here in Brazil, I'm sure I could get at least 1200 Reais (650 dollars more or less) for which I would be able to buy, not the nicest, but a pretty good laptop in the US, I think.

So my question is, do you think it is worth maintaing this old lga 775 device for its power and capability or is it actually not really 'that powerful and capable' in comparison to today's standards? Should I get rid of it and invest on a laptop?

Solution
To say the truth...it's really not that powerful...the latest Core I5/I7 processors run rings around those older 775 proc's. Literally run rings...

For the money...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246327

or anything around that would be smoking fast compared to your old desktop...not to say the old rig didn't have decent specs and peripheals were excellent but for processing power and speed, the above WILL run rings around it doing video encoding and such.

Look at this page here as well and I would consider one of those Refurbished notebooks down in the middle of the page...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%204021%20600003982&IsNodeId=1&name=Intel%20Core%20i7

Those are...

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
To say the truth...it's really not that powerful...the latest Core I5/I7 processors run rings around those older 775 proc's. Literally run rings...

For the money...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246327

or anything around that would be smoking fast compared to your old desktop...not to say the old rig didn't have decent specs and peripheals were excellent but for processing power and speed, the above WILL run rings around it doing video encoding and such.

Look at this page here as well and I would consider one of those Refurbished notebooks down in the middle of the page...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%204021%20600003982&IsNodeId=1&name=Intel%20Core%20i7

Those are Core I7's with a LOT of specs that are extremely nice...these machines come with a warranty and most ANYTHING I've seen in the Refurbished department usually include "new ram" "new hdd" "new cpu" and they are generally in Brand New condition external and internally!

Just a thought...I'm writing this on a Refurbed Dell Vostro 1520...had it for most of 3 yrs now and 0 issues...plus everything inside this WAS brand new from Dell's outlet store!

I got it for $589 then...C2D...500G 7200rpm hdd...4G ram...it's been an excellent machine with NO problems of ANY kind!!!!!!!!!

It's not really a risk to purchase a refurbished laptop....they have excellent warrantys and are usually in Like New Condition...I mean you can't tell it's not Brand New!

The choice...of course...is yours and what makes you feel the most comfortable....I'm extremely geeky and techie...I love building rigs...so working on mine wasn't daunting in anyway....but when I received it....and looked at all the parts on the list....EVERYTHING was brand new...I mean NEW...so was NO risk at all as it turned out.

I'm not one to pump up Refurbished...but in some instances...you CAN get excellent bargains and value for your Money...those on that page ARE what I'm going to do this year....the laptop is getting some wear and tear on it finally...for basically the same money...I can gain a lot of horsepower and value same as what I'm recommending you consider!

I'm not pushing you to buy a refurbished machine...just saying YOU can get a heck of a lot for the same money and usually the refurbed machines have ALL NEW COMPONENTS inside so you're not really risking anything...especially with decent warranties...be sure to LOOK at those warranty's though PLEASE Look at the warranty offerings!

Have fun and enjoy whatever way you decide to jump:):)

Good Luck my friend:)

Solution

rafamericano

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Thank you for the insights on processing power and on purchasing possibilities!

Very useful!

I decided to have the parts sold on mercadolivre (a brazilian ebay-type website) and with the money I'll probably buy a new laptop...

All the best!
Rafael