  • Configuration
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
January 20, 2005 6:17:04 PM

Hey I have a random question, I am not sure if this has been asked. But how
come in your advanced appearance options you can't customize the desktop
icons color. Say for example what if I have a black background and the auto
does: icons with a white background with black text and I want it black with
white text instead...just to coordinate the icon colors with my desktop. I
know there are programs like Iconoid, but it makes my computer do "internet
explorer needs to close," message and the start bar refreshes. Anybody know
anything about this? (I have also tried Style XP but its a hog and doesn't
work with service pack 2 I have a gig of ram but it still slows the computer
down some). Thanks thanks =)

-Adam from CA

More about : icon colors

January 21, 2005 5:52:52 AM

By default in XP, it can't be manually changed. The text changes on its own
from dark to light depending on the color of the background. It is based on
the Desktop color not the Wallpaper. The combo is whether or not you are
using a Wallpaper and what the Desktop color is.

However...if you have Use drop shadows checked for the icon labels,
the text will always be white no matter what color the background is.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP