Sign in with
Your question

Saudi Arabia: GPU for new build, crazy prices

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 1, 2012 2:17:09 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: April 2012

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Racing Simulators/ Gaming: Rfactor and Rfactor 2, Iracing 2.0, FIA GTR2, BF3 and MW3, GTA4, Need For Speed Most Wanted all the way to Hot Pursuit 3.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: None, I'm building a new computer to replace my 10 year old Pentium 4.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I'll be getting a H61 / H67 motherboard and i3 2100

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: None

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Saudi Arabia

PARTS PREFERENCES: Neutral

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm in Saudi Arabia, don't have many GPU choices. Radeon 5770 is $80, the next GPU after that is GTX 560 for $213. I'm fine with lowered detail settings at 1080p, I don't mind 720p.

I could get 2 Radeon 5770s. H67 board supports CrossFire (but its 16x4x... that a problem?). Will performance be better (or at least comparable) to GTX 560?

The GTX 560 is $133 more than the Radeon 5770. Considering price and the performance gain... is it worth it?
April 1, 2012 3:14:22 PM

Anyone at all? Here are the prices for GPUs here, please help me decide:

Radeon 5770 $80
GTX 550 Ti $150
Radeon 6850 $215
GTX 560 $215
GTX 560 Ti $300
Radeon 6950 $400

I'm building a budget desktop and would like a bit of gaming power in the mix. I'm aware the prices are ridiculous, except for the 5770. I'm just wondering if the performance of the GTX 560 / Radeon 6850 is a lot better that it would be worthwhile the price. If its just a gain of a few FPS, I'd rather stick with the 5770.
April 1, 2012 3:24:11 PM

Quote:
1. 16, 4 CFX is no good, performance hit is too much IMO,
2. get P67 boards if you want CFX, they're pretty cheap now if you can find them
3.Have you walked around Jeddah? I doubt options are so limited...even in Saudi Arabia
4. 2* HD5770 should have performance around a GTX560, but CFX doesnt scale well in all games.

1) Alright, good to know. I'll stay away from the H67 seeing as the 16x4x Crossfire is no good.

2) The few I found are quite expensive. Motherboards here are priced purely based on chipset, regardless of features and so on.

H61: $60
H67: $90
P67: $130
Z68 / Z77: $180

3) I live in Jeddah, believe me, they are limited...

4) Seems like the GTX 560 is a better pick... still, how does a single Radeon 5770 compare to a GTX 560? If the FPS drop is only about 10 - 15 (heck even 20) FPS, then I'd rather stick with the 5770.

Quote:
with that kind of pricing, I think I would get 2*HD5770s and a P67 motherboard with at least 2* PCI-E lanes at *8

I'd probably be able to find a well-priced P67 if I look hard enough. Any particular brands to choose? Most boards here are Gigabyte, with the odd Foxconn and Intel here and there.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 3:33:52 PM

Can you not have things shipped to you from Newegg?
April 1, 2012 3:38:18 PM

Energy96 said:

Newegg doesn't ship internationally. Amazon, ebay etc are all out of the question, customs into the country is very expensive and the GPU will most likely be confiscated.

No online stores within the country, have to choose from what's available locally.
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 6:00:11 PM

"Dictatorship" for the lose. Time to move to a country with a little more freedom in my opinion!
April 1, 2012 8:55:47 PM

Energy96 said:
"Dictatorship" for the lose. Time to move to a country with a little more freedom in my opinion!

Not very helpful. Can we stick to the topic?
April 1, 2012 10:33:42 PM

Quote:
See the HD6790, well......that card is about 10% faster than a HD5770

IMO, your option would be to either get a nice P67 borad and CFX 2*HD5770 or a nice H61 or cheap H67 coupled with the GTX 560

Dual graphics seems to be the way to go, especially with the crazy prices of the higher end GPUs here. I'm pretty sure I can find a couple of 5770s or a couple of GTX 460s.

I'm assuming getting them second-hand is ok? Boys here with the rich daddies will still abandon a good system, just to get the latest and greatest... such is the case of my friend with the Radeon 5770. Used parts would still be... well, fairly new.

Does the board have to be a P67? They're expensive and I won't benefit at all from the OC'ing feature, because my CPU is locked. Suppose I find a H61 / H67 with 16x and 8x PCI-e slots? I hear the performance loss due to the 8x is negligibe.
April 2, 2012 11:37:48 AM

For me, it all depends on the pricing of the boards and the graphics cards. If I find a reasonably priced P67, I'll add 2 graphics cards, probably used ones (as long as their combined price doesn't surpass that of a single GTX 560 / Radeon 6850).
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2012 11:10:36 PM

Quote:
1. 16, 4 CFX is no good, performance hit is too much IMO,
2. get P67 boards if you want CFX, they're pretty cheap now if you can find them
3.Have you walked around Jeddah? I doubt options are so limited...even in Saudi Arabia
4. 2* HD5770 should have performance around a GTX560, but CFX doesnt scale well in all games.
1. Where'd you hear 16x/4x CFX has a performance hit? I'm under the impression that more than 4x for PCI-e 2.0 is useless for anything weaker than a GTX 560Ti or so: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/25/gtx_480_sli_p...
So if you could link your source, that would be helpful.

OP, how much are two 5770's? I know the first (used) is $80. But how much is the second?
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2012 11:23:50 PM

Forde3654Eire said:
1) Alright, good to know. I'll stay away from the H67 seeing as the 16x4x Crossfire is no good.

4) Seems like the GTX 560 is a better pick... still, how does a single Radeon 5770 compare to a GTX 560? If the FPS drop is only about 10 - 15 (heck even 20) FPS, then I'd rather stick with the 5770.
1) I question greghome's claim. I'll concede if he can post some links to validate his statement. So far all I have is my link above that indicates a 4x pci-e lane doesn't bottleneck any of the cards we're discussing.

4) A single GTX 560 stomps a 5770 pretty handily: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
Considering the 5770, is the GTX 550Ti's equal, it looks to me like the GTX 560 gets about 50% better framerates. Whether that means 10 or 20 fps entirely depends on the title. If the 5770 can play at 30 fps, that would mean the GTX 560 will play at about 45 fps. Of course, the exact performance improvement depends on the title.
Energy96 said:
Newegg doesn't even ship to Guam, which is in the U.S. and serviced by the US Postal Service for the same rates as Hawaii and Alaska.
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2012 11:30:23 PM

Quote:
IMO, your option would be to either get a nice P67 borad and CFX 2*HD5770 or a nice H61 or cheap H67 coupled with the GTX 560
I like the H61 with GTX 560 option.

It really is a nice fps boost and, considering he listed (in an earlier thread) that it's $62 for a Gigabyte (Channel Well, same as Corsair VX550) 550W PSU or $93 for a 720W, I like the path to a single card system. That's simpler with less compatibility issues anyways.

Although my favorite choice is merely a 5770 and then an upgrade on the GPU in late 2013 or so and, possibly, a CPU upgrade at the same time.

OP, how much is a single used GTX 460 1GB? That card is phenomenal when overclocked--like a bit better than stock GTX 560Ti performance. You'll want to start a thread on that if you get one.
a c 172 U Graphics card
April 2, 2012 11:39:40 PM

Quote:
well, talking about freedom.
I believe Somalia is neither a dictatorship or democracy, but it's the freest country in the world, considering it's in a state of anarchy

I got to say that I hate the world we all have to live in, the world is one big open air prison. Man is born free but every ware he is in chains.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 12:06:35 AM

nforce4max said:
I got to say that I hate the world we all have to live in, the world is one big open air prison. Man is born free but every ware he is in chains.
Alright, somebody go start a thread about freedom and link it. In the meantime, let's get back to talking about hardware.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 2:03:13 AM

nforce4max said:

Some places are still more free than others which was my point previously. There has to be a decent balance otherwise you have "Somalia". Americans have increasingly more bullshit laws to abide by but at least for now it is still one of the more free and better places in the world to live a more civilized life. Not sure how long it will last with the average American becoming dumber and more oblivious to the world around them every year but there are only a very small (and getting smaller all the time) number of other places in the world where people can live better.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I just wanted to clarify my point.
April 4, 2012 3:32:56 PM

There are no used graphics cards available here folks. I'll either have to choose the $215 GTX 560 or go with the $80 Radeon 5770.

According to Anandtech's bench, I calculated an average 20 FPS increase from the 5770 to the GTX 560 at 1680x1050, and 15 FPS increase at 1920x1080

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/538?vs=543

For the 6850, averaged to 10 FPS increase at 1680x1050 and 7 FPS increase at 1920x1080.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/538?vs=539

Apparently, the GTX 560 is the winner in these benchmarks. However, I am not prepared to fork out an extra $133 for a small increase in FPS.

I'm trying to put as little money as possible into this build. Throwing in an extra $133 for 15 - 20 FPS just doesn't make sense to me. I am not pushed at all about full 1080p gaming, the Radeon 5770 suits me fine. I want to make it clear that I'm not after super-high FPS and resolution, just smooth gameplay.

I went to one of these gamer places to try out the beefy computers with the GTX 560. In all honesty, I noticed absolutely no difference between the quality of 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 on the 24" screen. High resolution is starting to come across to me as nothing more than just something to brag about.

Watching Battlefield 3 gameplay on Youtube filmed at 1280x720 blew my mind away! I thought it was 1080p till I saw the description!

Note: I found i5 2300 for as low as $165. That's only $40 more than the i3 2100. Is this a better investment than the GTX 560? Will the i5 2300 give me better FPS than the i3 2100, both with Radeon 5770?

Note: Which investment will best help me reduce the effect Fraps has on FPS while recording?
April 4, 2012 10:12:38 PM

As of now, I'm happy enough with the 5770, but since I won't be building for at least a month, I'll wait and see if the GTX 560 goes down in price. $213 is a stupid price for the 560. I hate the idea of being ripped off. If it goes down near to US prices I might get it.

Note: If I do go for the GTX 560, which brand should I choose? Most of them here are Gigabyte (not so good reviews on Newegg).

By searching Newegg, it seems that the Radeon graphics cards are more overpriced than their Nvidia counterparts. For the time-being, this particular GTX 560 seems to be the least overpriced of the bunch here in Saudi Arabia. It's $180 in the US, $213 here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Radeon 6850 is definitely ridiculously overpriced. $160 there, $213 here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If I won't benefit from the i5 2300 in gaming, then I don't want it. Simple as that.

Still in the end, I'm inclined to stick with the i3 2100 and 5770. I'd rather save the $130 than blow it away on a few extra FPS.
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 1:16:23 AM

That works pretty well (the i3 and 5770).
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 7:42:49 AM

I'm closing this tab in my browser. PM me if you come back.
April 6, 2012 9:14:23 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll check back in 3 - 4 weeks when I'm close to buying the parts.
April 8, 2012 12:15:25 AM

Just a small clarification I'm looking for guys. I've been researching CPU bottle-necks. If I understand correctly, the whole idea is that if a CPU is not powerful enough, it won't allow the GPU to perform to its full potential.

This seems to be a significant concern when considering dual graphics solutions: dual GPUs are more prone to CPU bottle-necking than single GPUs.

So:

1) I completely rule out dual graphics solutions

2) How low can I go on the CPU before bottle-necking starts to become a problem? Consider the following GPUs and name the minimum you would go on the CPU to run it to its full potential (considering nothing else in the build is changed).

i) Radeon 5770 (I'm thinking Pentium G620 is enough, correct me if I'm wrong!!!)
ii) GTX 560 and Radeon 6850

Please note that I'm only concerned about graphics performance here. My current 10 year old Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz Prescott does everything else I want just fine and I'm perfectly happy with it... I'm assuming the modern G620 is better than it in every way.

Thinking ahead I do realise quad cores are becoming more prevalent in games. I'm thinking of going with an inexpensive AMD quad core that won't bottleneck my gaming with Radeon 5770 (Athlon II X4 / Phenom II X4 or unlocked from X2 or X3) and keep me future-proof with the 4 cores versus 2 on both G620 and i3 2100.
April 8, 2012 1:04:01 AM

You can just try to buy it from other websites that can ship to saudi arabia, I am sure you will find quite few and sometimes even cheaper.
April 8, 2012 12:18:37 PM

There will be a new shipment of AMD Athlon and Phenom CPUs to suppliers here in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know the prices.
April 8, 2012 7:42:52 PM

oh man i feel your pain , i live in Gizan or Jizan whatever you want to call it and the computer stores here don't even have a single lga 1155 board , can you even imagine it ! i currently have an amd fx 8120 @ 4ghz ( a *** cpu , lags and throttles even with the latest bios update) , a ga990fxaud3 , 6950 , 850 w psu and 12 gb of corsair vengence memory . since i consider this setup as a huge fail , i waited for ivy bridge to be released , when it was released which is i guess today ,it is no where to be found on this country .Egypt on the other hand is a hole different story , when the nvidia gtx 680 was released in the US it was in stock in Egypt as well . SAME FREAKING DAY ! . Even the prices were like 200 riyals difference , come on .
So you might say " ok , buy your hardware from Egypt " , but did you consider warranty , i can't ship a hardware back and forth when/if the item gets defected.
April 8, 2012 11:15:07 PM

Cheapest prices I could find so far

1) Pentium G620: $60
2) i3 2100: $116
3) i5 2300: $165

4) Athlon II X2 (all Athlons here are native dual core X2): $72
5) Phenom II X2 (plan to unlock to X4 and overclock): $107

I've decided to narrow it down to i3 2100 and Phenom II X2 unlock and overclock. Which would you guys pick?

GamersAreTheBest said:
oh man i feel your pain , i live in Gizan or Jizan whatever you want to call it and the computer stores here don't even have a single lga 1155 board , can you even imagine it ! i currently have an amd fx 8120 @ 4ghz ( a *** cpu , lags and throttles even with the latest bios update) , a ga990fxaud3 , 6950 , 850 w psu and 12 gb of corsair vengence memory . since i consider this setup as a huge fail , i waited for ivy bridge to be released , when it was released which is i guess today ,it is no where to be found on this country .Egypt on the other hand is a hole different story , when the nvidia gtx 680 was released in the US it was in stock in Egypt as well . SAME FREAKING DAY ! . Even the prices were like 200 riyals difference , come on .
So you might say " ok , buy your hardware from Egypt " , but did you consider warranty , i can't ship a hardware back and forth when/if the item gets defected.

Hey man, I used to live up north in Tabuk. Same story as Jizan. Outdated and overpriced parts. I only moved to Jeddah recently. Prices here for video cards are just astronomical.
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 4:12:24 AM

You stated three things earlier that need clearing up:

1) You want to "future-proof" as much as possible.
Since "future-proofing" doesn't actually work, I will take that to mean, "future upgradability". The Pentium G620 is perfectly okay. However, you will never feel like it's "good". An i3-2100 will probably do everything you want your computer to do for the next two years. Then you can drop in an Ivy Bridge i5 in 2014 and it'll be good for another couple years. Keep in mind than Z77 motherboards launched TODAY, so Z68 motherboard prices will be falling.

If you want "future-proof", consider that AM3 processors are largely on a dead-end platform. So if you intend to upgrade, you're out of luck...that is, unless Piledriver surprises us. But off of AMD's quoted 20% to 30% improvement over Bulldozer, I can't see it keeping pace with Sandy Bridge, let alone Ivy Bridge.

2) You want a CPU to match the GPU.
Some games (ex: Crysis 2) are VERY CPU heavy. An i3-2100 could run with a GTX 580 and you'd still encounter GPU bottlenecks. Some games are CPU heavy (ex: Skyrim) and you could have the i5-2400 and a 5770 and you'd encounter a bunch of CPU bottlenecks. Some games, like BF3, are hard on both. You're going to see bottlenecks that vary depending on the game you're playing.

A Phenom II x4 will not see many bottlenecks, especially if overclocked. A Phenom II x2 will. An i3-2100 lands somewhere between those two on minimum frame rates (more important) and bests them both on average frame rates (less important). Overclocking the Phenom II's alleviates this, but will not escape the truth that plenty of games want more than what a Phenom II x2 can offer. That said, I have an avid gamer friend that runs a Phenom II x2 555BE at stock speed (due to old AM2 motherboard w/o multiplier overclocking) with a GTX 470 OC that is happy with its performance. I, however, used to gaming on my i7, am frustrated watching his machine stutter occasionally in games like Just Cause 2 and The Witcher 2.

3) Unlocking Phenom II's
I've attempted to unlock three Phenom II x2's to x4's. One unlocked and overclocked +400MHz (to 3.6GHz). The other two do not unlock with the AM3 board I tried it on. The two Phenom II x2's do overclock beautifully though. I've one at 4.0GHz for over a year at roughly stock voltage producing very little heat. So the bottom line: don't count on a Phenom II x2 unlocking.

a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 7:59:18 AM

I think the moving will cost more than the hardware. And the way jobs are where I live, I don't think anyone wants to give up a job right now.

Anyhow, I agree with the i3-2100.

But wait until Z77's become available and drop Z68 prices to make a purchase. In fact, wait until the end of April when i3-3100's or something similar are available for the exact same price.
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 11:41:26 AM

hesham555 said:
You can just try to buy it from other websites that can ship to saudi arabia, I am sure you will find quite few and sometimes even cheaper.

The problem is not the shipping.

The problem is that Saudi customs is a crapshoot. If something comes in that a customs official objects to for any reason, it is confiscated. If something comes in that a customs official decides he wants, well, you won't see it. The problem is bad enough that many companies that do ship internationally will not insure shipments to Saudi Arabia.

The only truly reliable way of an individual to ship anything into the Kingdom is to use FedEx or DHL. And that will cost more than just buying the card locally.
April 10, 2012 10:26:00 AM

jsc said:
The problem is not the shipping.

The problem is that Saudi customs is a crapshoot. If something comes in that a customs official objects to for any reason, it is confiscated. If something comes in that a customs official decides he wants, well, you won't see it. The problem is bad enough that many companies that do ship internationally will not insure shipments to Saudi Arabia.

The only truly reliable way of an individual to ship anything into the Kingdom is to use FedEx or DHL. And that will cost more than just buying the card locally.

Correct there about the Saudi customs. It is indeed a real crapshoot as you say.

Alright guys, I'm convinced the i3 2100 is the way to go. According to the graph greghome posted, the i3 2100 can deliver higher minimum FPS than any Phenom II X4 on that graph. I don't want to risk getting a Phenom II X2 and then finding out it won't unlock. If daluader is correct about the Z68, prices should start dropping after the release of the Z77.

H61 is just too "barebones". Only 2 RAM slots and barely enough USB connections. It doesn't even support Intel HD graphics, and probably not even IvyBridge. I'll be stuck if my video card ever craps out on me for some reason. I wouldn't be able to get the full potential of an unlocked (much less expensive later on) IvyBridge say 6 - 7 years down the road. I'd also like to have the added benefit of USB 3.0 for the future as well as SSD caching when I do opt for a reasonably priced SSD later on.

If it comes to the worst, I'll opt for H67. The only thing I'll miss out on would be the unlocked multiplier.

Still another 3 - 4 weeks till building when I finally finish exams, so I'm still open to any suggestions.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 10:46:41 PM

The i3-2100 matches or beats a Phenom II x4 at stock speeds in most tests. A nice thing about a Z68 board, is if you upgrade to the unlocked Ivy Bridge i5 (it's "i5-2500K") in two or three years, you'll be able to overclock it and that CPU will carry you through 2016.
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 3:32:08 AM

Quote:
I dont see the need to grab the 2500K if you're running a HD6770, honestly, I've OC'ed my i5 to 4ghz like most people with a P or Z board and I dont really see the difference in 90% of the software I run, a part from the increased temperature.
Oh--I definitelly don't mean buy the i5-2500K.

What I meant was that in two years when Haswell is out, he can upgrade his i3-2100 to an Ivy Bridge i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge version of Sandy Bridge's i5-2500K). Then, if he has a Z68 motherboard, he can easily overclock that and it'll still be a solid processor come 2016. I'm also assuming that he upgrades from the 5770 to a GTX 760Ti or something like that.
April 11, 2012 10:15:07 AM

dalauder said:
Oh--I definitelly don't mean buy the i5-2500K.

What I meant was that in two years when Haswell is out, he can upgrade his i3-2100 to an Ivy Bridge i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge version of Sandy Bridge's i5-2500K). Then, if he has a Z68 motherboard, he can easily overclock that and it'll still be a solid processor come 2016. I'm also assuming that he upgrades from the 5770 to a GTX 760Ti or something like that.

Yes, that's how I plan to do it. i3 2100 and 5770 for now. Some years down the road, this (and any current setup) will inevitably be considered out-dated. To save myself from buying a new computer, I upgrade to a 3570K (if needed) and a GTX 560 Ti or similar.
April 11, 2012 1:11:19 PM

Seems like this build is ready to get started :)  Cases anybody?

I really like the Antec 300, but its $90 here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

On the other hand, they've got these Gigabyte cases for $40
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

And this for $30
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

I don't know what to look for when choosing cases, but I definitely want something that'll allow tucking cables away to maintain good airflow. I'm not so sure about either Gigabyte cases. I know the Antec 300 has a very good reputation... but its overpriced here.

Any particular cases you would recommend? There are quite a good variety of cases here, surprisingly enough. Just name a few and I'll look for them.
April 11, 2012 2:35:08 PM

Quote:
When looking for cases, just look for ones with even holes to strap 1 or 2 powerful exhaust fans.

For USD 30-40, you should get a Cooler Master Elite 430, not sure if they have it there though

That's grand! I believe I've seen that somewhere around. Side panel window is a big plus for me. It just doesn't feel right having the components hidden from sight. I love looking at my components. My current PC has always had the side panel off due to overheating problems.

I can see there are latches as well on the drive bays, no need for screws. Nothing much can be done about cable mess, but an empty drive bay should do the job.
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 11:00:40 PM

If you were going higher-end, I'd recommend one that comes with good intake and exhaust fans. But since you'll be putting fans in yourself, all that really matters is that there are places where it's possible to mount fans. Check your temps when you first build it and when you overclock your video card. You might not need any fans.

Of the two cases you linked, I like the Setto II 142 better. Both should have just a little bit of room to hide some cables behind the back panel (and behind drive bays). I like how the Setto II 142 has tool-less drive mounting.

Both are a bit narrow, so you'll want to measure how much space you have for mounting a CPU cooler before you buy one (in the event that you buy a Z68 motherboard and an overclockable CPU down the line). The i3-2100 will do fine with the stock cooler.

I've actually used that side panel vent configuration and you can mount a smaller fan to the lower opening to exhaust your GPU heat (I did that with SLI'd 8800GT's at work). You can keep your computer cool enough with that case, but it's not NEARLY as good as the Antec 300. That said, you'll probably get the same gaming performance with both cases.

These cases have top mounting PSUs. I prefer bottom mounting. In the U.S., as far as cheap cases, I like the Thermaltake V3 or V4. I don't know if those are available to you.
April 12, 2012 10:54:59 AM

I've finally found a local site which sells CPU components. I've looked through but can't seem to find anything worthwhile over my current system configuration. Could you check it out? I might have overlooked some parts without my knowing.

I've converted the page to English and US dollars.

http://www.gltsa.com/shop/index.php?route=product/categ...

I did manage to find this Coolmax 550W PSU. This is the only one around so far, since all Gigabyte 550W are out of stock, all that's left are the 750W ones.

http://www.gltsa.com/shop/index.php?route=product/produ...
April 12, 2012 3:27:19 PM

Lol I'm an Apprentice now... still a long way to Addict!

Anyway, I'm not too enthusiastic about the Setto II, but I trust dalauder's judgement, and the price is just unbeatable. I'll check out the Cooler Master 430 greghome posted, I've really got my eye set on it... hopefully its around and at a reasonable price.

I'm fixed on the selected build configuration and ready to start buying... except for the bloody power supply. I'm skeptical of the Coolmax 550W, 800+W from all the premium brands is expensive and overkill. I think I may have to settle for the 720W Gigabyte... they do have 450W version but I believe that's not enough.

I'll keep you both updated if I find matching power supplies for my build.
April 13, 2012 11:23:14 AM

Quote:
if you're planning on running a HD5770 only, just use the PSU included with the CM E430

Alright, but would that included PSU be able to run an i5 3500K and gtx 560 Ti later on? If not, I'll just bite the bullet and grab the 720W Gigabyte... unless the 550W becomes available again.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2012 11:42:15 PM

The Coolermaster and Coolmax PSUs are terrible. I believe greghome is only suggesting that you sit with the 5770/6770 and the CM E430 PSU because you're REALLY limited on your budget and those cards don't ask for much power.

The Setto II is not great. It's marginally adequate. But you didn't give me a lot of options and I didn't see the Cooler Master Elite 430. That's a nicer case.

If you upgrade to a better CPU or GPU, you absolutely do not want to use the PSU that comes with that case. But I think you can wait for the 550W Gigabyte to come back in stock and use the Cooler Master PSU for now.
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 11:01:12 PM

Quote:
If the OP is not upgrading soon, I think he can wait
I agree he can wait. I just want to be VERY clear that the PSU that comes with the case is TERRIBLE, although probably marginally adequate for his initial setup. I only recommend it due to his lack of any viable alternatives (I don't consider the Gigabyte 750W a viable alternative).
April 17, 2012 9:03:56 PM

I'll wait till the 550W PSU becomes available again. Still some time left for building, want to get the A level exams out the way first.
April 17, 2012 9:18:03 PM

Just out of curiosity, do either of you have any insight on the yet to be released Trinity APUs? I've spoken to a few guys here, turns out the suppliers have finally decided to introduce the APU to the market...

I'm sticking by my motto here: If I can go cheaper without hindering graphics performance too much, I will. Which APU do you reckon will have similar gaming performance to the 5770?
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2012 11:05:01 PM

Forde3654Eire said:
Just out of curiosity, do either of you have any insight on the yet to be released Trinity APUs? I've spoken to a few guys here, turns out the suppliers have finally decided to introduce the APU to the market...

I'm sticking by my motto here: If I can go cheaper without hindering graphics performance too much, I will. Which APU do you reckon will have similar gaming performance to the 5770?
I can't say for sure because I don't think Trinity benchmarks exist yet. But I've heard Trinity performance will be about 50% better than Llano. That means that none of the APUs will be as fast as the 5770--at best maybe 75% or so as fast. And in memory intensive games, the DDR3 system memory is MUCH slower than the GDDR5 you get with modern graphics cards.

Trinity is going to make more of a splash on your parent's machine--where they can use it for everything AND play all games (on low for new ones) if they want to. Trinity isn't going to give a high-end gaming experience, but it will allow all games to be played without a discrete card.
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2012 3:33:33 AM

OP, I'm closing this tab in my browser. PM me if you come back.
May 12, 2012 1:13:07 PM

Hi again guys. I'm going to start building in about 2 weeks. I've managed to find the Antec 300 for as low as $65 here. Seems to be a good bargain and I am prepared to pay the price if the case deserves it.

However, at $70, the Aerocool RS-4 is also on offer... I'm not sure about this case, it seems to offer more flexibility, but I'm not sure how it stands against the Antec 300 in terms of the build quality, heat management and noise output... opinions please on which the better buy is?

I did mention earlier the Gigabyte Setto II at $40. Is it worth paying the extra money for either the Antec 300 or Aerocool RS-4? If its not worth it, I'll just stick with the Setto II.

http://www.gltsa.com/shop/index.php?route=product/produ...

http://arabic.english.gigabyte.com/products/product-pag...

Note: The only 500W power supply I've managed to find to date is the Corsair CX500. 80+ certified and +12V railing with 34A.
May 12, 2012 8:38:42 PM

Corsair CX500 is for $75.

Updates on my previous post:

1) Antec I was looking at is not the 300. Its called the VSK-1000. Not so sure about it anymore... top-mount PSU puts me off... it has some cable-management though. $65
http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704408&fid=2

2) Found a Thermaltake V3 Black Edition. Looks really nice. Bottom mount PSU, No cable management. $65
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1308&ID=19...

3) Cooler Master Elite 430 costs a whopping $130!!! Definitely a no no!!!
May 13, 2012 12:08:47 AM

Quote:
Personally I'd take the Thermaltake V3, the bottom mounted PSU would be easier to manage (cables) and it kinda reminds me of my old CM E430.

and the Corsair PSU for that price is not bad.

That's a very good point you made there, the cable management of the power supply! I have been debating with myself for the past hour which would be the best pick. Don't know why I never thought of it! With the non-modular CX500, its a great idea to rule out any top-mounted PSU cases. Thanks for solving my problem! :D 

Its down to the Thermaltake V3 Black Edition and the Aerocool RS-4. I'm waiting for daluader to give his opinion on which of these 2 would be the better option.

The Aerocool RS-4 includes 2 140mm, cable management behind the motherboard, and removable HDD cage... but for all I know this cheap Taiwanese alternative could fall apart in less than a year.
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 11:46:44 PM

The Aerocool RS-4 looks like a great option to me: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Aerocool-RS-4-Ca...
Btw, it also has a bottom mounted PSU and is wide enough (200mm) to fit 120mm CPU fans (160mm coolers like Hyper 212+).

I mentioned earlier that my friend has a Thermaltake V4. While it's decent for a cheap case, the fan doesn't actually blow air (spins, but I put my hand up to it and couldn't feel it on either side), and the tolerances of construction are terrible (requires A LOT of physical force to remove side panels, etc.). I assume the V3 is similar.

PSU: I agree with the CX500. Looking at the prices and the limited selection, that's a decent choice.

As far as the cable management, I've found that you can stuff extra wires to the backside of the 5.25" bays in most cheap cases. So It's cables aren't too big of a problem if you bother to plan out what you're doing. I installed a CX430 top-mounted in a terrible case yesterday and don't have any major issues with cable management. If you go bottom-mounted, you'll be doing great with the RS-4 or V3.
!