Sign in with
Your question

Unusual crash

Last response: in Systems
May 31, 2012 11:37:40 PM

Just built this system, and occasionally when playing games, screen will go black and a repetitive loud buzzing will come from my headphones, not inside the case. I have to hard reset to end it. Only happens when I play games, I'm gonna guess it's a driver issue but I'm using the latest drivers, thought I should ask here anyway.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz with stock cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155
RAM: Corsair vengeance 4x 4gb
SSD: Crucial M4 128gb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870 2 gb
PSU: cooler master 650w GX

More about : unusual crash

June 1, 2012 2:12:27 AM

What operating system?
Does this happen in all games? which games? windowed games (chess/solitaire/minesweeper)?
How long between launch of game until it crashes? (if always at same spot describe what is going on in the game)
Sound is through headset, does that originate from the motherboard or graphics card (headset via monitor/TV connected by HDMI)?

Could be overheating, bad power supply, video card or ram needs re-seated, corrupt sector on hard drive, corrupt driver, corrupt installation of operating system.
June 1, 2012 4:07:23 AM

noreaster said:
What operating system?
Does this happen in all games? which games? windowed games (chess/solitaire/minesweeper)?
How long between launch of game until it crashes? (if always at same spot describe what is going on in the game)
Sound is through headset, does that originate from the motherboard or graphics card (headset via monitor/TV connected by HDMI)?

Could be overheating, bad power supply, video card or ram needs re-seated, corrupt sector on hard drive, corrupt driver, corrupt installation of operating system.

I tried to edit my post to add this info before you posted, but I wasn't allowed to! :( 

So far, the game it seems to occur on is League of Legends, which is peculiar, not in Team Fortress 2 or Diablo 3.
I play LoL fullscreened, and the crash will occur at random spaces, generally once per match, so it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what is causing it.

I have my headset plugged into the motherboard.

It's not overheating, as checking temperatures to ensure I built it properly was the first thing I did and everything is at 30 degrees on average. Even directly after a crash, no temperature changes.

Any way to rule out the other options?
Related resources
June 1, 2012 4:35:31 AM

Your issues not unheard of. I did a quick search and it looks like black screen during League of Legends happens to some people after patches, especially the Fiora patch. Try a repair install (can easily access in programs and features). Also make sure internet explorer and Adobe air (someone suggested it uses Adobe components in the menus. Whether thats true or not, doesn't hurt to update) and adobe Flash are updated. Also try the game in windowed mode, some have said thats a workaround, but of course not ideal.

If it still does it, try a clean install (aka uninstall reinstall, make sure to remember or screenshot your rune pages, masteries, etc). If that doesn't work, use Furmark to quickly stress test your video card. Test RAM as well with memtest86
June 1, 2012 5:35:39 AM

If its only League of Legends then I would not suspect hardware or the operating system. cpatel1987 seems to be onto something with the patch info and supplementary software updates. As suggested, try repair installation, possibly roll back or uninstall the patch and attempt to repatch, and if nothing else reinstall the game after backing up saves and data.
June 2, 2012 11:47:17 PM

Repairing the program made no difference, reinstalling the program made no difference, IE, air and flash are all updated, I'm now testing it on a different drive running on windowed , as well as running Furmark and memtest, i'll post again when that's done
June 16, 2012 5:50:37 PM

The crash has now occured in other games, leaving me to believe it's a hardware issue afterall. I ran furmark and allowed it to complete several tests which it completed without crashing, I ran memtest and it found no errors, but I replaced the RAM anyway as it is easy to do, yet the crashes still persist. What should I do now? Replace the graphics card?
June 16, 2012 8:52:26 PM

Have you updated your video driver? run any other diagnostics/cleaners/etc?
June 16, 2012 9:53:45 PM

Yeah, I updated the drivers, tried a fresh install of windows, tried removing an SSD drive, removing a hard drive, installing latest firmware for everything

I suspect its the GPU, but I don't have another card to test it with - my old card was overheating and running in the 100s, which was the whole reason I built this new tower haha
!