Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New PC Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
June 1, 2012 1:49:32 AM

Hi everyone, i'm new here and quite frankly new to building pcs. I'm getting ready to work on building my first pc which is basically going to be a lower/mid range gaming pc that I THINK is decent for myself here is what i have on my list of things to buy


Motherboard:ASUS M5A97 EVO Socket AM3+ 970 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6GHz Quad-Core Socket AM3+ Boxed Processor
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1866 (PC3-15000) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)
Graphics Card: Sapphire Technology 11201-02-20G AMD Radeon HD 7770 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card
Power Supply: OCZ Technology ZT Series 750 Watt Modular ATX Power Supply
Storage Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD3200AAKX - OEM
OS Drive: OCZ TechnologyVertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-60G SSD Series 60GB SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with SandForce 2281 Controller
Optical Drive: LG 12x M-DISC Internal SATA Blu-ray / HD DVD-ROM Combo Drive - OEM

I was kinda wondering if I could get a second opinion on this setup before i get it. If I have read everything right all this hardware should be compatible

More about : build

June 1, 2012 1:53:12 AM

What is the total?
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 1:55:17 AM

with the case included its gonna be 844.91
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 1, 2012 1:57:19 AM

I'd say cut the power supply to a 600 watt, and change the Graphics card to a Radeon 6870.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 1:58:27 AM

$845, you can build a much better system. Any RAM speed over 1600 MHz is not worth it, unless you get Samsung RAM, which is the same price as 1600 MHz RAM.

Mobo Asrock Z77 Extreme4 $90 combo'd with 3570K @ MC. Let me know if you don't have one.
CPU 3570K $190
RAM 8GB DDR3 $44
GPU Sapphire 7850 $260 --> overclock it
HDD Samsung/Seagate 1TB HD103SJ $80 after promo
DVD Burner $18
PSU XFX 650W $68 ($53 AR)
Case NZXT Tempest 210 $55 (HAF 912 lacks USB3.0)

= $805

+ Hyper 212 EVO; total: $840.

In turn, you get:
A better CPU
MUCH better GPU.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 1:58:53 AM

Merueth said:
I'd say cut the power supply to a 600 watt, and change the Graphics card to a Radeon 6870.


is there a big difference in performance betweeen the 6870 and the one i have? and also i selected the 750 in case i add case lights and more fans
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:00:51 AM

jkak2009 said:
is there a big difference in performance betweeen the 6870 and the one i have? and also i selected the 750 in case i add case lights and more fans

The 6870 is about 15 fps better in most games, but if you live near a Micro center, Azeem's build is the way to go. Also, the difference between 600 and 750 is minimal for your build, most single GPU builds will do fine with a quality 500-600 watt PSU. Case Lights and fans will not affect the PSU much, if at all.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:02:21 AM

Merueth said:
The 6870 is about 15 fps better in most games, but if you live near a Micro center, Azeem's build is the way to go.

Even if he doesn't, my build might still be the way to go depending on his budget. :) 
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:04:31 AM

azeem40 said:
Even if he doesn't, my build might still be the way to go depending on his budget. :) 

That's true. xD I was actually thinking of buying a secondary computer using almost those exact parts.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:05:31 AM

That build is what I was going to use too, for my brother. :D 
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:07:51 AM

azeem40 said:
That build is what I was going to use too, for my brother. :D 

Best Budget Build: May 2012 :p 

Also, where are you getting the PSU from, can't find it on Newegg?
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:09:27 AM

cant really afford the 289 for the radeon 7850 atm. is there anything wrong with the current config that i have listed? most of the stuff that i have listed i can pick up at the micro center in STL about an hour from me
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:10:58 AM

jkak2009 said:
cant really afford the 289 for the radeon 7850 atm. is there anything wrong with the current config that i have listed? most of the stuff that i have listed i can pick up at the micro center in STL about an hour from me

But your build was $845, Azeem's was $840?

Nothing is wrong with your build, it's just that Azeem's offers so much more power for near the same amount of money.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:14:31 AM

crap lol got confused my bad :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:16:53 AM

that makes sense i just have to make sure MC has everything parts wise that i need before i go cause i only get to go to STL every other week
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:21:58 AM

jkak2009 said:
that makes sense i just have to make sure MC has everything parts wise that i need before i go cause i only get to go to STL every other week

:p  Good luck! Btw, The 7850 demolishes the 7770 by 20+ FPS.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:24:19 AM

yeah i saw that on the bench results. funny thing is I had almost the exact same build set up before i changed my mind strictly because the AMD cpu had more cores. Also y no SSD for the O.S.?
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:31:25 AM

jkak2009 said:
yeah i saw that on the bench results. funny thing is I had almost the exact same build set up before i changed my mind strictly because the AMD cpu had more cores. Also y no SSD for the O.S.?

I think the main reason for not having an SSD is because we don't know your exact budget. Also, even the cheapest SSDs are $40-50, and they just don't offer enough bang for buck at that level because they can barely carry the OS, much less games. TBH, you really shouldn't expect an SSD if your budget is under $900.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:36:23 AM

as far as an ssd goes i was only going to have it for the OS all games and other software would be installed to the 320 GB
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 2:42:28 AM

also what RAM is that listed in Azeems build?
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 3:30:15 AM

thanks for the suggestions i took most of them with a couple changes here and there in order to get everything from microcenter
m
0
l
!