chelseabluerockers

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
I have a 8400gs GPU with no fans on it. I've been using this card for 6-8 months or so. I've never encountered problems of overheating or so. I regularly clean off my PC and free it off from dust. However when I cleaned it this time and noticed the temps on SpeedFan (Utility to check temps of the units on the MoBo) the GPU was very very high. The processor temps were just 50-60 which was normal but the GPU shoots upto 90-100 C. Can you guys help me? I've never overclocked my GPU.
Guys, I've been using this for 8-10 months. I have never encountered such problems in the past. But this problem started to appear when I cleaned my PC. Help me out guys! Please.! Help mE!

Solution
The front chassis fan not working is likely the source of your problem.
To get hot air out of the case, it is essential that it be working.
A front fan should be set to draw in fresh air. The openings in the case at the rear will exhaust the hot case air.
Sometimes there is room to add an exhaust fan to help with this.

Do not count on the PSU fan for any case cooling. It is set up to only protect itself.

The cpu fan's job is to get heat off of the cpu chip, and that seems to be OK. But the front fan is essential to getting heat out of the case by drawing in cooler air.
If that does not happen, the cpu fan and the gpu will only get heated air to work with.

As a short term fix, run without the side panel.

First, make certain...
Sounds like you have accidentally dislodged the GPU heatsink.
If it's fanless it should come off easily enough just a few (obvious?) points:
You'll need to get some thermal paste and cleaning materials first, most computer stores carry both.
Do the job in a box, a shoebox is good, that way everything that comes off stays in one, secure place.
Use a good, well fitting screwdriver. This is VERY importaint because there will be 4 small screws on the back of the card around the GPU chip itself and you do NOT want a loose fitting 'driver to slip.
Those 4 screws will usually attach a 'X' shaped plate, this is actually a spring that provides the force to hold the heatsink in place, so undo them a little at a time to release the force gradually.
The heatsink may come off easily, if not do not try to just pull it, apply a twisting motion as well.
When applying the new thermal paste, just a little is enough, no more than half a grain of rice in the centre of the chip. Spread it out a little, I use a finger to gently spread it into an even film, when attaching the heatsink, press it down gently and rotate it a little to ensure the new paste is evenly distributed before reassembly.

I don't know why just cleaning out dust would have caused such a problem.

Your cpu temps at idle seem high too.

Perhaps you have a case cooling problem. What case is it?

Take the side panel off and direct a house fan at the innards and see if your temps go down much.

chelseabluerockers

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
I live in India. It's pretty hot over here. There are no air conditioning systems in my house. The temps over here are 35-40. Maybe that's why I called the CPU temps normal. Now let me test the techniques you suggested me.

chelseabluerockers

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Guys, I opened my PC and took a good look at it. I found there were 3 fans in it.
One for the processor, one for the PSU and one behind the button which I use for the starting the computer. Taking a look at Speedfan, I found that out of the three fans, only two fans were functioning.ie. the CPU fan and the PSU fan. Can you guys help me out on how to make work the CHASSIS fan.??

The front chassis fan not working is likely the source of your problem.
To get hot air out of the case, it is essential that it be working.
A front fan should be set to draw in fresh air. The openings in the case at the rear will exhaust the hot case air.
Sometimes there is room to add an exhaust fan to help with this.

Do not count on the PSU fan for any case cooling. It is set up to only protect itself.

The cpu fan's job is to get heat off of the cpu chip, and that seems to be OK. But the front fan is essential to getting heat out of the case by drawing in cooler air.
If that does not happen, the cpu fan and the gpu will only get heated air to work with.

As a short term fix, run without the side panel.

First, make certain that the front fan power lead is plugged in securely.

If it is a 3 pin fan that goes into the motherboard fan header, check that.
If it has a large 4 pin molex connector, it will plug into a PSU molex lead.
Some fans have both; you can use either.

Verify that the wire leading to the fan is not separated from the fan itself.
Verify that the front fan blades are not being kept from turning by some obstruction. Try turning it with a finger to check.

If all else fails, you might conclude that the front fan has failed, and needs replacing.
A replacement of the same diameter should not be expensive.
You could replace it with a high rpm fan, and get better cooling, but at the expense of more noise.

Once it is running, check that the fan is drawing fresh air into the case. Dangle a piece of tissue in front of it to detect the airflow.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS