Sign in with
Your question

Bent Pins?

Last response: in CPUs
September 26, 2012 4:13:21 PM

hey guys,

have a users machine in front of me and I was having the worst time getting it to display POST information. It would only display using this one monitor I had (DVI connection) and I was able to get to bios and load the boot manager for Linux about half the time. The PC would not display POST info when I plugged in a widescreen Dell that tested fine on other machines.

So now Im at the point where nothing displays on the screen when I turn it on. I started the routine of removing all removable parts to inspect and boot with one less part each time. I finally got to the point of removing the CPU carefully and noticed this below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81523930@N05/8026958185/

I circled the pin I think is the culprit.

any thoughts?

Thanks.

More about : bent pins

a c 146 à CPUs
September 26, 2012 4:23:54 PM

profssrfink said:
hey guys,

have a users machine in front of me and I was having the worst time getting it to display POST information. It would only display using this one monitor I had (DVI connection) and I was able to get to bios and load the boot manager for Linux about half the time. The PC would not display POST info when I plugged in a widescreen Dell that tested fine on other machines.

So now Im at the point where nothing displays on the screen when I turn it on. I started the routine of removing all removable parts to inspect and boot with one less part each time. I finally got to the point of removing the CPU carefully and noticed this below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81523930@N05/8026958185/

I circled the pin I think is the culprit.

any thoughts?

Thanks.

About all you can do is get a sewing needle and try to push it back into position. You have to be very careful because if you push to hard or bend it back and forth to many times then the pin will compleatly break and you will have to get a new motherboard. There is no guarantee that it will definitely work and you still might have to end up getting a new motherboard.
m
l
September 26, 2012 4:59:58 PM

So you definitely think its a bent pin? From all the comparison pics I found on the interwebs there arent any pins that look out of place on a new z77 layout. Compared to this one I see that one pin. I will try and carefully move the pin back into place. thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2012 5:02:58 PM

The best tool for this job is a mechanical pencil, with no lead in it. Its just about the perfect size to slide over a single pin. Then you can easily bend it into place.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
September 26, 2012 5:29:52 PM

festerovic said:
The best tool for this job is a mechanical pencil, with no lead in it. Its just about the perfect size to slide over a single pin. Then you can easily bend it into place.

What type of mechanical pencil? I have yet to find one that is small enough to do the job. The heads are too wide to fit in between the tightley woven pins without the risk of bending other pins in the socket. Plus the pins on LGA sockets are like tiny hairs it makes it harder. I usually use a pin for Intel's LGA sockets and a .5 inch mechanical pencil for AMD pins.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
September 26, 2012 5:35:29 PM

profssrfink said:
So you definitely think its a bent pin? From all the comparison pics I found on the interwebs there arent any pins that look out of place on a new z77 layout. Compared to this one I see that one pin. I will try and carefully move the pin back into place. thanks.

It's hard to tell from that picture if the socket pin is bent. I was going by what you said since you can get a closer look at it than any of us. If you can get a closer picture than that will help. If it's definetly bent then yes it will cause problems. A bent pin might not be making contact with the pads on the CPU chip in which case it will cause the computer to not boot. Is the computer booting at all or is it booting but not POSTing?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2012 7:29:54 PM

A bent pin or missing pin sometimes isn't easily detectable - the computer could still boot and function normally. I say this because I had broken off a pin on a p4 old style chip, and i couldn't find anything wrong after months of use.

Also here is the mechanical pencil style i use, notice the long metal shaft coming from the tip. The plastic or metal ones shaped like pens that dont have the long shaft sticking out are lame.

m
l
September 26, 2012 7:45:57 PM

festerovic said:
A bent pin or missing pin sometimes isn't easily detectable - the computer could still boot and function normally. I say this because I had broken off a pin on a p4 old style chip, and i couldn't find anything wrong after months of use.

Also here is the mechanical pencil style i use, notice the long metal shaft coming from the tip. The plastic or metal ones shaped like pens that dont have the long shaft sticking out are lame.

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2011/10/sharpen2.jpg

Awesome...I have one I will use to try and fix. Hopefully this resolves our issue. I couldnt find anythign else wrong considering its a brand new build and it seemed to work at first. I will update when I can get the tool to work on it. thanks again.
m
l
October 3, 2012 2:35:03 PM

festerovic said:

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2011/10/sharpen2.jpg

ok we bent the pin back into place and still the problem persists. We Purchased a new z77 extreme 9 and we STILL get the problem. Turns out that the MB wont display DVI output, but when we plug in a vga card it works fine. WTF? Anyone else having this issue with ASRock z77 Extreme 9?

We have tried like 5 different cards with DVI so I know its not the cards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 3:02:52 PM

Just a word out, I have had a person I did a build for bend pins somehow while compulsively cleaning his system, when I saw it, it appeared as though he tried straightening them but made it worse. The RMA was declined for CID, that be customer induced damage.....so be careful.
m
l
!