how do i make a "hyperlink" to my computer

i have been fooling around with this for a couple days now and thought that
it was time to get some help so here it goes.
i am creating a desktop wallpaper that has some extreemly basic html to
link my most used games and apps to my desktop (as an example i have links to
doom3 halo and my movie folder and a couple other).
Now the problem comes in when i try to create a link to my computer.
I have tried to create a shortcut of my computer and link my wallpaper to
that but with no success. i have also tried a couple of other things but any
help would be greatly apprecieated
THANKS in advance
8 answers Last reply
More about make hyperlink computer

    Hi,

    Right click on the Desktop and select Properties.
    On the Desktop tab click on Customize Desktop...
    Select the Web tab.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Hell_Spawn wrote:
    > i have been fooling around with this for a couple days
    > now and thought that it was time to get some help so here
    > it goes.
    > i am creating a desktop wallpaper that has some extreemly
    > basic html to link my most used games and apps to my
    > desktop (as an example i have links to doom3 halo and my
    > movie folder and a couple other).
    > Now the problem comes in when i try to create a link to
    > my computer.
    > I have tried to create a shortcut of my computer and
    > link my wallpaper to that but with no success. i have
    > also tried a couple of other things but any help would be
    > greatly apprecieated
    > THANKS in advance

    Just pull a link (shortcut) to the executable or whatever files from their
    folders on the desktop; you don't need any html for that.
    Well, there are many other ways - favorites, quickbar, your own homepage
    with links....
    Michael

    "Hell_Spawn" <Hell_Spawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have been fooling around with this for a couple days now and thought that
    > it was time to get some help so here it goes.
    > i am creating a desktop wallpaper that has some extreemly basic html to
    > link my most used games and apps to my desktop (as an example i have links
    > doom3 halo and my movie folder and a couple other).
    > Now the problem comes in when i try to create a link to my computer.
    > I have tried to create a shortcut of my computer and link my wallpaper to
    > that but with no success. i have also tried a couple of other things but
    > any
    > help would be greatly apprecieated
    > THANKS in advance

    well thats just i t i am making my own home page with links(done through html)
    i am sure that i have to access some dll file because technicall you cant
    go higher then any drive that you are on and my computer is a file that
    displays the drives availble
    and that basically what i want a window that would show the root directory
    options that i have IE: "my computer"

    "Phillips" wrote:

    > Just pull a link (shortcut) to the executable or whatever files from their
    > folders on the desktop; you don't need any html for that.
    > Well, there are many other ways - favorites, quickbar, your own homepage
    > with links....
    > Michael
    >
    > "Hell_Spawn" <Hell_Spawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i have been fooling around with this for a couple days now and thought that
    > > it was time to get some help so here it goes.
    > > i am creating a desktop wallpaper that has some extreemly basic html to
    > > link my most used games and apps to my desktop (as an example i have links
    > > doom3 halo and my movie folder and a couple other).
    > > Now the problem comes in when i try to create a link to my computer.
    > > I have tried to create a shortcut of my computer and link my wallpaper to
    > > that but with no success. i have also tried a couple of other things but
    > > any
    > > help would be greatly apprecieated
    > > THANKS in advance

    Hi HS,

    What I did was clear out my links folder in C:\Documents and
    Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Favorites\Links and put shortcuts to my fav websites
    (you could put any icon here).

    Then copy the directory name from the text gadget at the top of explorer.

    Then resize the window to exactly how you want it to open and then close the
    window.

    Then fire up Internet explorer and visit any page so that you can access the
    tools/internet options menu and paste the directory into the homepage text
    box.

    now when you launch IE it will look just how you saved it when you navigated
    to it in explorer and you can click any icon to visit the webpage. As an
    added bonus you now also have access to those links through the links menu
    which you can call up by right clicking the IE menubar.

    Andy

    > well thats just i t i am making my own home page with links(done through
    html)
    > i am sure that i have to access some dll file because technicall you cant
    > go higher then any drive that you are on and my computer is a file that
    > displays the drives availble
    > and that basically what i want a window that would show the root
    directory
    > options that i have IE: "my computer"
    >
    > "Phillips" wrote:
    >
    > > Just pull a link (shortcut) to the executable or whatever files from
    their
    > > folders on the desktop; you don't need any html for that.
    > > Well, there are many other ways - favorites, quickbar, your own homepage
    > > with links....
    > > Michael
    > >
    > > "Hell_Spawn" <Hell_Spawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >i have been fooling around with this for a couple days now and thought
    that
    > > > it was time to get some help so here it goes.
    > > > i am creating a desktop wallpaper that has some extreemly basic html
    > > > link my most used games and apps to my desktop (as an example i have
    links
    > > > doom3 halo and my movie folder and a couple other).
    > > > Now the problem comes in when i try to create a link to my computer.
    > > > I have tried to create a shortcut of my computer and link my
    wallpaper to
    > > > that but with no success. i have also tried a couple of other things
    but
    > > > any
    > > > help would be greatly apprecieated
    > > > THANKS in advance

    arg all i want is to know is how to link "my computer" without using any icons
    i just want a link (just text no icons) on my desktop to op "my Computer"
    nothing in IE(first cuz IE sux) nothing in my doc's (never use those floders)
    just a link that is all i want ...it seems that i have been stumping
    everyone with this one

    Try this one...

    rightclick on the taskbar and unlock it, then rightclick again and select
    "Toolbars" and check "Desktop". Rightclick again with the pointer over the
    new bar and select "View" then check "Small Icons". Rightclick again over
    the new bar and select "Show Title".

    Now grab the little gripper just to the left of the title "Desktop" on the
    taskbar and slide it all the way to the right towards the clock so that all
    you can see is the title "Desktop" with some little right-chevrons showing.

    Now lock the taskbar.

    When you click on those little right-chevrons you'll get a pop-up menu with
    links to everything that's on your desktop.

    To complete the minimalist feel, rightclick anywhere on your desktop and
    select "Arrange icons by" and uncheck "Show desktop icons".

    You now have total access to your system without having to launch explorer
    and by using the rightclick context menu you can easily cut/copy/paste any
    file.

    Next (If you wanna go the whole hog, fire up explorer and navigate up the
    dir tree to the desktop and create some new folders (I have stuff like
    "Apps" "Utils" "Playlists") Anything you put in these folders (usually icons
    that get created on the desktop after an installation) can be accessed using
    your new super-duper popup (or dropdown if your taskbar is at the top like
    mine) menu. A cool trick is to rightclick any .exe (or anything) and then
    select "Send to" - "Desktop (create shortcut)". They will appear in your
    super-duper menu where you can rename them to remove the .exe part etc then
    cut them, highlight one of your new desktop dirs and paste them into it.

    Sound like a lot of hassle but it's real easy in practice.

    Andy

    > arg all i want is to know is how to link "my computer" without using any
    icons
    > i just want a link (just text no icons) on my desktop to op "my Computer"
    > nothing in IE(first cuz IE sux) nothing in my doc's (never use those
    floders)
    > just a link that is all i want ...it seems that i have been stumping
    > everyone with this one

    You need to run explorer with the following parameters:

    explorer.exe /n, /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

    There may be a way to do it with a script, but I don't know how. But here's what you can do:

    Create a dummy filetype (.dum) and make the above explorer command line the 'open' action. Then create an empty file with the .dum extension and place a link to that in your wallpaper file.

    The registry entries would look like this:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dum]
    @="dumfile"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dumfile]
    "EditFlags"=dword:00000000
    "BrowserFlags"=dword:00000008
    @="Dummy File Type"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dumfile\shell]
    @="open"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dumfile\shell\open]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dumfile\shell\open\command]
    @="explorer.exe /n, /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"

    Good Luck,
    Keith

    "Hell_Spawn" <Hell_Spawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE0BCEFC-ED92-4BAD-87F4-4833A917BD8A@microsoft.com...
    > i have been fooling around with this for a couple days now and thought that
    > it was time to get some help so here it goes.
    > i am creating a desktop wallpaper that has some extreemly basic html to
    > link my most used games and apps to my desktop (as an example i have links to
    > doom3 halo and my movie folder and a couple other).
    > Now the problem comes in when i try to create a link to my computer.
    > I have tried to create a shortcut of my computer and link my wallpaper to
    > that but with no success. i have also tried a couple of other things but any
    > help would be greatly apprecieated
    > THANKS in advance
  8. Can You please Simplify that for a non-Computer-Oriented Person?

    Quote:

    You need to run explorer with the following parameters:

    explorer.exe /n, /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

    There may be a way to do it with a script, but I don't know how. But here's what you can do:

    Create a dummy filetype (.dum) and make the above explorer command line the 'open' action. Then create an empty file with the .dum extension and place a link to that in your wallpaper file.

    The registry entries would look like this:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dum]
    @="dumfile"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dumfile]
    "EditFlags"=dword:00000000
    "BrowserFlags"=dword:00000008
    @="Dummy File Type"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dumfile\shell]
    @="open"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dumfile\shell\open]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dumfile\shell\open\command]
    @="explorer.exe /n, /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"

    Good Luck,
    Keith

    "Hell_Spawn" <Hell_Spawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE0BCEFC-ED92-4BAD-87F4-4833A917BD8A@microsoft.com...
    > i have been fooling around with this for a couple days now and thought that
    > it was time to get some help so here it goes.
    > i am creating a desktop wallpaper that has some extreemly basic html to
    > link my most used games and apps to my desktop (as an example i have links to
    > doom3 halo and my movie folder and a couple other).
    > Now the problem comes in when i try to create a link to my computer.
    > I have tried to create a shortcut of my computer and link my wallpaper to
    > that but with no success. i have also tried a couple of other things but any
    > help would be greatly apprecieated
    > THANKS in advance

Configuration Computers Windows XP