I can't align my GPU and motherboard

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I'm trying to upgrade my GPU (Radeon 6870) onto my motherboard (foxconn aloe).

I can clearly see that which slot it is supposed to go into as they are identical. It's actually supposed to slide into this slot right? The problem is, I can't get the gpu directly into this slot. I'm not really sure what to do, and I can't tell what is going on - if it is being stopped at the back panel, or if the metal thing on the side of my GPU is too tall and it stops my card from moving down all the way.

I'm really lost as this is the first time I've ever installed new hardware, and I'm a little panicky right now.

if you're sure the mother board and video card are compatible, you might be hitting in the back where the bracket goes. I too have some issues every now and then. You'll have to slightly angle the card so the bracket will slide between the back of the board and the metal of the case. Then seat the card in the slot.

ALSO...... you may have a capacitor keeping the card from seating properly. If this is the case you need to be careful or you will do harm to your board.

A stray wire/NS-SB fans or heat sinks........ look carefully.

you can also try putting it together out of the case just to make sure it works and to give you a better view of what's going on.

vespir

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Gary - I will try to take some pictures tomorrow when I can.

Delroy - I think my wording was off, what I meant was that the video card and the slot matched up so I knew it was the right type.

Scout - I did remove the slot cover - two of them actually, because it takes up a big space.